Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I think this is probably the darkest we've seen Garane so far - he stayed in the background in his first two appearances and was allied with the Doctor in his third. Here, he's getting his hands dirty and handling things personally, so you get to see just what he's capable of...

I always sort of wanted Garane to be the evil version of Paul's Doctor, and he was actually sort of inspired by those early scenes between Paul and myself, where the Doctor would talk to my character and offer him some advice. Garane does the same thing, but rather than offer good natured advice, manipulates and twists people around into doing terrible things. Deep down, I think he has a warped view of the Doctor and sees him as a friend, but of course, the Doctor absolutely despises him.

Tor Garane is a strong enough character to have been running the show
    In (I think) the next episode, there is some interesting background given to Garane's motivation - his very plan in this sums up what his goals are. And they are much lesser goals than many of our villains, in a funny sort of way. I don't think Garane would want to rule the Universe - he'd just be happy being the richest person in it, because what he desires is power for powers sake.

So I don't think it's really a case of him being a strong enough character, as one whose plans operate on a different level. In any case, the cliffhanger makes clear it's an alliance, and I think you'll all see that the way these two characters are manipulating each other is a far more interesting story idea than either of them simply being "top villain".

Finally, this is really a Garane story, he gets plenty of material, and by their very definition, the Guardians are always in the background, not allowed to influence events. Make no mistake, Garane is as prominent here as in any of his stories, regardless of who else may appear. The Black Guardian just unveils another facet of his personality, as he allies himself with someone more powerful for once.

Si.

Well I somehow doubt you've managed to misuse The Guardians to the same extent Big Finish did with the Key 2 Time trilogy. I suppose that's the big cause of my slight reservation; not wanting to hear one of my favourite characters/concepts from the classic series wasted again, but that said hearing the music cue from Mawdryn was a lovely moment

I am loving the fact that as far as episode 2 of this story is concerned I have absolutely no idea what's coming next!

I always sort of wanted Garane to be the evil version of Paul's Doctor, and he was actually sort of inspired by those early scenes between Paul and myself, where the Doctor would talk to my character and offer him some advice. Garane does the same thing, but rather than offer good natured advice, manipulates and twists people around into doing terrible things. Deep down, I think he has a warped view of the Doctor and sees him as a friend, but of course, the Doctor absolutely despises him.
    Interesting. I really hadn't picked up on that before- thinking he was more an alien caricature of an immoral banker out for himself to make as much money as possible by whatever means he could.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I think I may I have just had a moment of clarity about a connection between two of the characters in this episode which I'd completely overlooked. I really hope I'm right.

Oh do tell!

Si.

This is a mahoosive spoiler possibly so read on at your peril...

The music cue when Rob produces his magic crystal suggests it's similar to the one The Black Guardian gave Turlough although I accept the possibility that he might have been given it by the "man all dressed in white" - but if the flashback sequence is unreliable given the lack of mention of a certain other companion that opens a whole pandora's box of new questions about Rob's motivation...

Just gave me an excuse to relisten to a very funny sequence. I had one of those people looking at me when I laughed moments at the bit where someone screamed. I did the same identical scream when I had an Omen dog encounter on Saturday evening!
    Just got more looks for my reaction to "It would appear that way, yes!" - Love the delivery of that line.

Oh there are some beautiful Tor Garane lines to come. Look out for... no, I can't! You must find them for yourself!

Ok, here's some information to stop you possibly expecting something that isn't there. The "missing companion" controversy is not explained in this story. Though I know the explanation and will tell you if bought beer.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart
    Interesting. I really hadn't picked up on that before- thinking he was more an alien caricature of an immoral banker out for himself to make as much money as possible by whatever means he could.
    That's certainly true as well, but I think money is just a means to an end for him, being a banker is just his day job - his hobby is messing with people's heads. His constantly calm, cheery tones were also designed to match Paul's very cool headed Doctor. Tis all a bit subtle, but this was my idea for him from the start!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    Just got more looks for my reaction to "It would appear that way, yes!" - Love the delivery of that line.
    Ha! I love that line, Garane handles disappointment well!

I also want to give a shout out to Steve for some excellent work as Rob in this episode; there's a nice change in delivery when he's being "orderly Rob" in the Asylum that makes him a bit sinister.

Here is a trailer for Episode 2, coming this Saturday.

Betrayal is on the wind!

Download here!

Si.

Bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey !!
    Bazinga !

Well, well, well! I never did trust that Ed!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'm not listening to the trailer. Sorry Si. I loved the first episode. Superb stuff. Really odd and slightly unsettling I thought. Its strange how you don't really pick up on that when you record the lines. The mood isn't really there. Its all done in the magic of production!

Why not listening to the trailer Paul?

Si.

This will probably sound odd, but I don't want any spoilers. I'm enjoying this story loads. I think me and Martin just rattled through our lines and I for one don't remember much else about this story. So its quite exciting!

Paul and I finished this one amazingly fast, but I think it actually helped with it just being the two of us (as this is often the case in the story!). As I recall, we barely had any retakes either!

**** me!

Sorry I seem to be developing a puerile catch phrase. :

That was rather spoilerific and no mistake! I shan't be tweeting that one yet!

Oh and just to add that whilst I've already singled out the Doctor meeting Rob flashback which I've now noticed earlier slightly contradicts Enjoy Your Shoes I also loved how sinister Orderly Rob was especially in the pre-credits sequence with Steve's sinister chirpy delivery of "We don't want to keep Mr Garane waiting!" being a particular highlight

As I recall, we barely had any retakes either!
    Ah what seasoned professionals we are!

How does it contradict "Enjoy Your Shoes" then? I'm intrigued!

Paul, that's super! I'm glad everyone's enjoying the trailer. I hope it hints at what's to come without giving too much away. Perhaps we should have one for next weeks episode as well?

Si.

Ah what seasoned professionals we are!
    Either that or you just didn't have an annoying Director around to make you do lines again.

I'm suddenly seeing the ploy in "why don't you take Tabby for a nice trip to the park" now!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    How does it contradict "Enjoy Your Shoes" then? I'm intrigued!
    It depends on whether we trust Rob as a narrator but in Enjoy your Shoes we here the exchange of dialogue is slightly different. That said I do prefer the urgency of the version we get in Asylum. That said it's a slight shame that the slightly magical moment in EYS when we hear the Doctor just say "Run" slightly more urgently in the style of Christopher Eccleston isn't quite replicated. Neither is the slightly less convincing "Hello I'm the Doctor, "I'm Rob McCow" but I can accept that those are products of Rob's imaginings

Perhaps we should have one for next weeks episode as well?
    Sorry if you'd already stated elsewhere and I'd forgotten but is this another four part story?

Three episodes!

Si.

Three episodes!
    Thanks, I'm sure you were glad of that fact by the time you'd finished it.

Sorry for the pedantic reply about Enjoy Your Shoes but you did ask. As I hadn't heard it for some time until earlier today it hasn't affected my enjoyment of Asylum at all as I've listened to the sequence concerned several times over and just love it, especially Rob's scream and his assumption that the Doctor is a pervert who hides in basement cupboards

I'm glad you like it! And yes, in EYS we were hearing Rob's hazy memory, but this is a vision of what exactly happened...

... unless it's all revealed to be a trick in the next episode of course!

This is all in keeping with the stories themes of trust, misremembrance, and taking nothing at face value. Because, basically, how can you believe anything? Are even your own memories reliable?

Si.

If you asked Rob about his first meeting with the Doctor, he'd probably say "Oh yeah, that was the time I saved him from those nasty shop window dummies with firecrackers in their hands! They were well scary, but I was brave and stopped the Doctor from becoming a victim of the Nesteeeeeeene Conscience."
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!