Thread: The Scarifyers

Default The Scarifyers

Just looked on the Big Finish website and a new product category has appeared - The Scarifyers

These plays which as most here will know have been going for a few years now with David Warner having recently joined Terry Molloy following the sad loss of original co-star Nicholas Courtney.
    I don't know whether the producers of The Scarifyers have formally joined Big Finish or whether it's just a commercial arrangement to reach a wider audience?

I've never even heard of these.

it's like Graceless. Until the other day I'd not even been aware they existed! For someone who checks the Big Finish website semi-regularly and gets "Vortex" magazine with every subscription release, that's got to count as underpublicised! It's a wonder anyone buys "Graceless" at all, if even I didn't know about it. I don't think they even review it in DWM.

Si.

I have to admit I've taken a small liberty posting this in this section of the forum as strictly speaking they're not a Doctor Who spin-off and so far Big Finish haven't been directly responsible for their production. I think it might just be the fact that the two leads Molloy and Warner have done a lot of work with BF over the years and because the earlier releases also starred Nick Courtney they may have been able to come to an arrangement. Unless they're about to offer a subsciber discount I'm not paying £11.99 a go for them and I'm sure Terry has sold them at conventions for less.

News just in: Apparently David Richardson contacted Cosmic Hobo productions to ask if Big Finish could sell them!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    it's like Graceless. Until the other day I'd not even been aware they existed! For someone who checks the Big Finish website semi-regularly and gets "Vortex" magazine with every subscription release, that's got to count as underpublicised! It's a wonder anyone buys "Graceless" at all, if even I didn't know about it. I don't think they even review it in DWM.

Si.
    I think there's a reason why no one's heard of Graceless.
    In my opinion it really is the one BF spin-off too far that unless I see it at bargain bucket price in a year or two's time I've just got no interest in buying. I was amazed it got a second series but I guess BF like working with the two lead actresses (which I'm pretty sure was the basis for the first series - given that Key2Time ended with the suggestion that Amy/Abby and Zara would go to Gallifrey to study the idea that they'd go off and have time travelling adventures with disastrous consequences for the universe at large doesn't seem likely)!
    I tend to glaze over whenever Graceless gets a mention in Vortex or the podcast and I wasn't at all surprised to hear that the December release for Graceless 2 may get pushed back due to post-production delays.

It's not even as if they were particularly great characters in the first place or played by particularly great actresses even.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

You can get The Scarifyers as downloads for £8.99 from the Cosmic Hobo website, with the exception of the first play. This sells for £11.99 which gets you CD and download as a package. Whether this is worth the money is up to you...