Default DVD Boxset Extras

I seem to recall RTD saying/writing (possibly in Production Notes or the Writers Tale) something along the lines that as Dr Who is made by the BBC, you should be entitled to see it and follow it through on there. For example, you shouldn't have to buy a book to follow up a story from the TV.

I'm not explaining myself very well but what I'm getting at is that it's all very nice for these specially shot bits to be on the DVD boxset (and the 2 specially shot scenes last year) but it means that you have to fork out money to see them when they are made by the BBC with our licence fee.

Remember the CIN 10th Doc and Rose immediately after the regeneration or Time Crash - what if the only way you could have see them was to buy the boxset? We'd all have been whinging. What's the difference with the new boxset extras.
    A pot of coffee, 12 jammie dodgers and a fez...

It's not so much that you shouldn't have to buy a book to follow up a story on the TV. Many books do follow on from televised stories, but they're not necessary. The big point is that you shouldn't have to have seen or read anything not broadcast on TV in order to understand anything that is.

The bits on the box sets are just little extras. They're fun if you get them, but you don't lose out on enjoying the series if you don't.