Default How Important Is Continuity?

How important is continuity? There are a couple of things in the first episode of our new play "Asylum" which at the moment appear to represent slightly square pegs in the round hole (er...) of PS Audio Continuity. But does this matter?

Si.

For me, continuity is like the dollop of double cream on the side of the pudding which is the story - it's nice when it's there and it adds to the story as a whole, but the story can be just as nice without it, and a bad story smothered in double cream just makes you feel sick (or AttackoftheCybermen Nausea).

As many good DW writers found, if continuity gets in the way, just ignore it.

At the same time , I don't really like stories that go back and retcon perceived continuity problems just for the hell of it. That way lies madness (or The ScalesofInjustice syndrome). And if there's a major contradiction of continuity (rather than just ignoring, deliberately saying the opposite) just to hang a story on, then that seems a bad idea (or LawrenceMilesItis).
    Bazinga !

I always think it's nice to get it right if you can, as it's a reward to people who pay attention. However, as Robert Holmes said " If a good story is buggered up by bad continuity don't worry about it, do the story and get someone else to sort it our afterwards." Well, he said something like that anyway.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Obviously it depends firstly if the "error" is actually explained later on or is something which can be explained away by the listener if they really want to or if it's only mentioned on the one occasion.
    If it's something which is going to have a major impact on future stories then it ought to be done right IMHO, speaking as someone who has invested a lot emotionally in this version of Doctor Who but speaking at the same time as a someone who considers the current production staff of PS Audios as friends I'm not going to let minor niggles get in the way of enjoying a good story.

I'm going to be really interested to hear your thoughts after the next episode!

Si.