View Poll Results: How would you rate The Aztecs?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: You can't change history

3 27.27%
  • 9: Not one line

5 45.45%
  • 8: Believe me, I know

1 9.09%
  • 7: I made a cup of cocoa and got engaged

1 9.09%
  • 6: Not Barbara... Yetaxa

0 0%
  • 5: The Aztecs were pet subject of mine

1 9.09%
  • 4: How shall a man know his gods?

0 0%
  • 3: You're monsters! All of you, monsters...

0 0%
  • 2: You changed the mind of one man

0 0%
  • 1: I'll choose who I marry

0 0%

Default Rate and Discuss: The Aztecs

You can't change history, not one line...

Barbara sets out to prove the Doctor wrong, as the TARDIS lands in Mexico and she sees a chance to save the Aztec civilisation from its bloody end. Will she succeed?

What do you think of The Aztecs?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I haven't seen this for too long. But I really loved this story. It feels like something really special perhaps because it's a direction the stories don't do anymore. I especially think it's a story where Barbara shines.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I don't love this as much as everyone else (although judging by the scores so far, I seem to love this exactly as much as everyone else!) but I appreciate it as a damn fine story.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

This is one of my favourite Hartnells, and deffo my favourite historical. It's had something of a revival in my affections since it was released on DVD; I remember seeing in on VHS years ago and finding it very difficult to watch, but I was absolutely blown away by the VidFIRE'd release, both in thersm of picture and sound quality and the story itself which was now so much more visible in every sense.

Barbara is just wonderful and I love her interraction with The Doctor - really strong drama that's superbly acted by both of them. The whole than has a great atmosphere and is one of the best examples of the tight bond between the original TARDIS team.

10/10 for me.

I like this story a lot, and it's one I often choose to watch, but I must confess, every time I do, I find it just a little bit disappointing. I think it suffers from being just a touch too earnest and stagy, and although the acting and script are top-notch, I find the production (albeit the best that could have been expected considering the time and budgetary restraints on the series) does let it down. I don't think the historicals really came out of their shell until Dennis Spooner got involved, to be honest. So I'm the one who gave it a 7/10.

So we now know where to send The Lads then...

I love this story. The only thing I can fault is the fairly minor gripe of why the Perfect Victim speaks in what sounds like an Aussie accent. It's just great TV, let alone Doctor Who, with the right mix of drama, action, pacing and comedy. Damn good acting, damn fine story wonderful sets and costumes - oh, to have it in colour!

This story is just wonderful. It's my favourite historical and my favourite Hartnell story. The four part story arrives and immediately it feels like the right format for stories- there's plenty of incident, is well paced and expertly acted.

Hartnell and Hill are a joy to watch in this one. Barbara thinks she can make a difference, the Doctor knows she can't and his lines about changing history hint that maybe he's tried it himself... "Believe me I know," it's played with such power and conviction, that the scene is rightly regarded as one of the best ever in the show. The two of them sell it to us completely.
    Almost as wonderful is the scene between Barbara and Tlotoxl- "How shall a man know his Gods?" which again is played beautifully by Hill and character actor John Ringham. They're both coming from different angles, but to the same conclusion- they both know she's not a God, but she's trying to be one and not be found out while Tlotoxl is tryign to weedle that confession out of her with devious questionning. Superb.

Then you throw in the subplot of the Doctor getting engaged (and there's no two ways about it, he is incredibly fond of her- watch him try and leave the brooch behind at the end- that's some good business from Hartnell), Ian's fights and even Susan's scenes in the seminary don't seem too bad and you've got one very classy story.

Quiet wonderful and the triumph of season 1.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post

Quiet wonderful and the triumph of season 1.
    Quoted for Truth