Default Memories of Missing Episodes

Most of us on the forum (but of course not all) are too young to have ever seen any of the missing episodes at all, but the 60s isn't really all THAT long ago and so there's obviously lots of people out there who have seen them. Obviously a lot of those will be the so-called casual viewer who could no more remember any details from them than I can remember anything at all that ever happened in Angel, even though I used to watch it every week about 10 years ago. But there must be some fans amongst them, or just some people with good memories.

Collectively they must be able to shed some light on some of the things that were in those episodes that no scripts, audios or telesnaps could capture, so wouldn't it be a nice idea to try and pool all this knowledge and record these reminiscences before all these people die indeed, does anything like that even exist? The only thing I can remember along these lines is a Nostalgia article in DWM about The Tomb of the Cybermen before it was re-discovered, and in which people managed to recall things that never happened anyway. So maybe it's not such a good idea after all...

My Mum says she watched the whole of the Hartnell era as a girl. So she's probably seen "Marco Polo" and "The Massacre". Which, just, messes with my head. Get her a hynotist and Jon Pertwee's IRIS machine from "Planet of the Spiders"!

Si.

My Mum watched most of the Troughtons. She used to taunt me with memories of the stories when we were reading the Target books when I was small.

One of my customers, Beryl, was telling me about The Daleks' Masterplan the other day. Apparently it's still her favourite one. Never bettered that one, she said.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Why does Si get paid for talking to people called Beryl about Doctor Who and I'm stuck here doing boring computery stuff.

So not fair.

Si.

I was 6 years old when Doctor Who came on the air in 1963 so my memories of the Hartnell episodes are very indistinct. It would be more accurate to call them impressions than memories. And memory does play tricks on you; for years I was convinced that Ian lost his tie in a acid pool during 'The Keys of Marinus'. It wasn't until I read the novelisation of 'The Web Planet' that I realised I was wrong. I remember the Troughton episodes more clearly, particularly from 'The Faceless Ones' onwards. But even so I still confuse 'The Moonbase' with 'The Wheel in Space' on occasion.

But if I can remember a story at all it indicates that it must have made a strong impression on me at the time. If you like I'll make a list!

I remember The Doctor and Vicki exploring the Rill ship in Galaxy Four, I was in hospital at the time and the first episode of Lost in Space started opposite Doctor Who, another boy wanted to see this but I won over in the end missing just a few minutes of the start of the episode. It'll be nice to catch up on that episode when it gets a DVD release sometime next year.

I want your brain.

Si.

I'll do the evil experiments if you don't mind!

I expect most people are usually after your body, so it's a nice change for you.

Si.

My dad has memories of having a drink in a pub in Abinger with some Cybermen, who were apparently filming Doctor Who. Thats about all he can remember. I say he probably had a beer too many!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I expect most people are usually after your body, so it's a nice change for you.
    Only medical science...