Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Robbie to reunite with Take That

Singer Robbie Williams has been admitted to a rehabilitation centre in the United States where he will undergo treatment for prescription drug addiction, his agent said on Tuesday.

Williams, who celebrates his 33rd birthday on Tuesday, is one of Europe's most successful entertainers who rose to fame as a member of the hit boy band Take That before going solo.

"Robbie Williams has today been admitted into a treatment centre in America for his dependency on prescription drugs," his public relations agent in London said. "There will be no further comment on this matter."
    The other members of Take That have stolen his mojo!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Well he's been in drug trouble for years, not in the sense of a raging coke addiction, just of his life being slowly supressed by a dependency on pain killers. But that's been going on for ages.

I'm selfishly annoyed by this as he has a great new single out and I'd hate for it to flop through lack of promotion and for people to then claim he's career's down the loo.

Si.

a great new single out and I'd hate for it to flop through lack of promotion and for people to then claim he's career's down the loo
    It's a prophecy!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

"Robbie Williams has today been admitted into a treatment centre in America for his dependency on prescription drugs," his public relations agent in London said. "There will be no further comment on this matter."
    Why mention it then?

Publicity.

It crossed my mind that he had a single out this week. But it's a bit of a length to go to for a 2.99p single.

Mind you, people believed Madonna would adopt an orphan just to get her "Jump" single into the Top 10.

Si.

I think these days that "going into rehab" is considered a must do statement of cool. You're a bit of a nobody if you haven't spent a stint in The Priory.
    Jade escpecially seemed to make a big deal of it.
    Still Robbie is the same age as me bar a few days. (I'm four days older than him) and I wouldn't want to be him for the world. He genuinely seems such a lonely sad character desperate to just be loved for him not for Robbie Williams Superstar. I might not have his money but I'm a million times happier.

It made me laugh when Noel Gallagher commented in his own unique way that these people are "f**king lightweights" for needing rehab. He just decided to quit drugs one day and that was that.

Si.

Good old Noel. You can always rely on him to make an amusing comment.

Robbie Williams is withholding his next album in protest against a private equity firm which has taken over his record company.
    The singer is going on strike after EMI was taken over by financiers Terra Firma in a Ł3.2 million deal.

He is just one of a number of artists who are refusing to work for the company. Radiohead and Sir Paul McCartney have already walked out of EMI while Coldplay are said to be prepared to down tools.

Williams, 33, is due to release a new album produced by Mark Ronson in September as part of his Ł80 million deal with EMI but has decided to withold it in protest.
    His manager Tim Clark told The Times: "The question is, 'Should Robbie deliver the new album he is due to release to EMI? We have to say the answer is 'No'."
    "We have no idea how EMI will market and promote the album. They do not have anyone in the digital sphere capable of doing the job required."

Clark accused Guy Hands, EMI's new boss, of acting like a "plantation owner" who stumbled into the record undustry using a "vanity purchase".

Thousands of redundancies are expected at the company.

Williams is seeking control of his back catalogue from EMI and wants to follow Radiohead's example by releasing his music through his website directly to fans.
    Or perhaps he's just worried because they've realised his new album isn't very good. It seems a ridiculous step to take, he must be contracted to produce a certain number of albums for EMI.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    he must be contracted to produce a certain number of albums for EMI.
    As I recall, he owes EMI one more studio album, which is another "swing" affair, and was due in april, last I read. I guess this is the one they're talking about? EMI also have the rights for one more 'best of'. He's talking nonsense of course, although it has to be said that EMI are running around like a headless chicken, recently.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

“If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Funny, the quote part didn't mention Robbie. Wonder which element of that report was completely made-up?

Si.

None of it, I should think.

Robbie shouldn't be too disheartened though as he's in good company. There's probably that many Elton John albums buried around Milton Keynes.

Williams, 33, is due to release a new album produced by Mark Ronson in September as part of his Ł80 million deal with EMI but has decided to withold it in protest.
    His manager Tim Clark told The Times: "The question is, 'Should Robbie deliver the new album he is due to release to EMI? We have to say the answer is 'No'."
    "We have no idea how EMI will market and promote the album. They do not have anyone in the digital sphere capable of doing the job required."

Clark accused Guy Hands, EMI's new boss, of acting like a "plantation owner" who stumbled into the record undustry using a "vanity purchase".

Thousands of redundancies are expected at the company.
    I know that this is simplifying matters greatly, but if Robbie is not willing to give EMI the finished product, why doesn't he give back part of the Ł80 million he was reportedly paid, and take the album elsewhere? Who knows, the money might even reduce the necessity for redundancies!

I know things are far more complicated than that in this particular sphere, but if any of us were paid for work in our particular jobs which we didn't then put in, we'd soon be told where to go!

None of it, I should think.
    I honestly didn't have you down as being that naieve Steve!

Or perhaps you just believe what you'd like to be true.

Si.

Record companies do destroy unsold product, and Williams last album was a flop? What am I being naieve about?

And about a year late, here is a taster, "Bodies" from his coming album "Reality Killed The Video Star"?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjA8iJxDOnE
    Ths track is out 12th October and you won't be able to escape his video by next month!
    I think it's a great comeback, but I did need a few listens?
    Whoever would have guessed he would be as vicious as he is fighting the power at the end?
    Enjoy!

The rehab must have gone well.

As much as I want to think Robbie's a twat (and he is) I can't help liking the man. So good luck to him.

Robbie tracklisting announced.

Morning Sun
    Bodies
    You Knew Me
    Blasphemy
    Do You Mind?
    Last Days Of Disco
    Somewhere
    Deceptacon
    Starstruck
    Difficult For Weirdos
    Superblind
    Won't Do That.

The title of the 8th song made me and I like the title of ten as well.
    At least it's not another swing record?
    Last edited by Dino; 7th Sep 2009 at 9:49 PM.

"Bodies" isn't doing alot for me yet. Maybe it's a grower?

Why is that tracklisting "spoilered" out? Are there rabid Robbie Williams fans lurking on PS who think that knowing the titles in advance gives away key plot details of the album? Maybe one will reveal that Robbie will meet an untimely end on Track 9, or the Daleks will return for Track 12. For these reasons alone, I shan't look.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Why is that tracklisting "spoilered" out? Are there rabid Robbie Williams fans lurking on PS who think that knowing the titles in advance gives away key plot details of the album? Maybe one will reveal that Robbie will meet an untimely end on Track 9, or the Daleks will return for Track 12. For these reasons alone, I shan't look.

Si.
    Ok you!
    All sorted now!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cloud (Slight Return) View Post
    Ths track is out 12th October and you won't be able to escape his video by next month!
    I'll be able to, I reckon.

Si never answered my question as to what I was being naieve about....

No, I don't know why! But it was 18 months ago so I think the moment's passed.

Reading back though, and although I don't remember typing it, my "perhaps you just believe what you'd like to be true" comment does seem a touch antagonistic, so I retrospectively apologise for that.

Si.