TO: DWAS_all_members; DWAT [all members]; Gallifrey Base Membership List;Lizo.Mzimba@bbc.co.uk;OG Alumni mailing list
CC:francois@devinerubber.com;gqmelba@hotmail.com

SUBJECT: The Memo

Merry Christmas folks.

My dear Innes

I’ve begun to wonder if I’m not as young as you used to be, my boy. Besides, I’m too old. This old body is wearing a bit thin to be doing tele-plays every week and I’ve been diddling about in my mind for a possible solution to this solution.

I believe the best way to avoid regrets, anxieties and tears would be if another actor were brought in to play the role of “William Hartnell” in Doctor Who. This new chap would take over from me using some of your marvellous camera trickery and to ensure the children know it is the same person I would suggest I continue to be billed as Doctor Who and this new man be billed as playing me. I would of course continue to accept a weekly fee were you to offer one, no I don’t suppose you would.

Yours in quite a great spirit of adventure,

William Hartnell

PS – I saw a young fellow called Trouton the other day and he was sheer poetry, my boy. You might like to consider him if he’d be prepared to wear my old wig and trousers!