Thread: Babylon 5

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I think that another of the delights of this series is that, once the story really gets going, you pay less attention to the special effects than you do to the storyline and the characters.

I think that having cheap(er) effects than the likes of the various Star Trek series is one of the main reasons that JMS managed to get his full five years (after a bit of wrangling) to tell his story. I'm happier with a complete story done on the cheap rather than an incomplete one with cutting-edge effects work.

I finished Season 2 last night, and the final four episodes were excellent.

I didn't see the twist with Talia Winters coming at all, and was shocked they would effectively kill off one of their main characters like that. The actress may well have wanted to leave, but I don't dare look anything up for fear of spoilers!

The darkening of Londo's character has worked really well too, when he was issuing his decrees for G'Kar to return to Narn and be executed, he truly seemed like a different person to the character from the first season. And at the same time, I still feel sorry for him, the look on his face as he watched the Centarui attack Narn was tragic.

G'Kar is still my favourite character, and I'm really rooting for him to free Narn.
    I've also grown to love Vir, he didn't make much of an impression in Season one, but he's emerged as one of the strongest characters - loved the scene when he apologises in the lift to G'Kar.

Strangely, the two races which started off looking like the nicest - centauri and human - have now become the darkest in the series. I positively despise all the human characters we have seen so far (except for the ones on the station, of course), and I almost wish the centauri had invaded Earth instead.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Penny View Post
    I didn't see the twist with Talia Winters coming at all, and was shocked they would effectively kill off one of their main characters like that. The actress may well have wanted to leave, but I don't dare look anything up for fear of spoilers!
    If I remember correctly - and this may demistify it all. The actress who played Talia and the actor who played Garibaldi had an affair and got married off screen. But it was kind of short lived, and they ended up hating each other, so one of them left.

Strangely, the two races which started off looking like the nicest - centauri and human - have now become the darkest in the series. I positively despise all the human characters we have seen so far (except for the ones on the station, of course), and I almost wish the centauri had invaded Earth instead.
    One of the best things about Babylon 5 is no race is totally "good", every race has enemies without, and enemies within. It makes it difficult to follow over 4 seasons, but worthwhile.

The reveal of Kosh at the end of season 2 was a real "wow" moment. Kind of unexpected but also made perfect sense.

I finished Season 2 last night, and the final four episodes were excellent.
    I agree. I love these episodes. Each season seems to build up to a sequence of more exciting episodes near the end. Wait till you get to the end of Season 3...you'll feel sorry for those of us who had to wait six months or so to find out what happens next...

Me neither. I was totally shocked when this happened...although they kept saying that there was a traitor on B5, I kept expecting it to be a minor character who you didn't see much of, or simply for it to be a lie. Even up till the final few scenes I didn't see this coming...it was all the more shocking for the sudden-ness of it's revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    Even up till the final few scenes I didn't see this coming...it was all the more shocking for the sudden-ness of it's revelation.
    Indeed, I had expected it to have been Lyta all along.

Another curious thing about the second season was Warren Keffer, I spent half the series trying to remember his name after he showed up in the opening credits, and I can only remember him actually appearing in two episodes!

Na'Toth's new actress wasn't very good either, and it's a shame she just dissappeared, because having her around would have been interesting for G'Kar's actions later in the season.

WhiteCrow Guest

Another curious thing about the second season was Warren Keffer, I spent half the series trying to remember his name after he showed up in the opening credits, and I can only remember him actually appearing in two episodes!
    I met Harlan Ellison at the beginning of the Second Series being run. He claimed as part of the changes between seasons for Babylon 5, they were leaned on heavily by execs to include a "pretty boy" for the women.

He didn't name names, but Warren really can't act, and indeed doesn't fit in well at all, and really ticks all the boxes over what Harlan was ranting about. Unlike Warren, Marcus who comes in season 3, who just really felt natural to be added to the cast.

Anyway thank heaven they killed off the Keffer!

I don't dare look anything up for fear of spoilers!
    I hope that you resist the temptation, heed your own words and don't look anything up till you've finished. There are plenty of major spoilers to be found out there for the unwary...

I really envy you watching this for the first time. I wish I could do so again, but unfortunately that's not possible short of suffering a serious bout of amnesia...

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    I really envy you watching this for the first time. I wish I could do so again, but unfortunately that's not possible short of suffering a serious bout of amnesia...
    Well you're in luck thanks to the patented Fink-o-matic amnesia-o-meter ...

My wife would happily help out with that!

and really ticks all the boxes over what Harlan was ranting about
    Harlan Ellison ranting? Surely not?

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Harlan Ellison ranting? Surely not?
    Supposedly he threatened to leave B5 as creative consultant if they ever tried to introduce (a) an artificial intelligence/android trying to "find themselves" or (b) a cute kid.

Babylon 5 is unusual in being a long running sci-fi show, but they never once have an episode with an android or intelligent computer. That's hopefully not really a spoiler for Martin. I guess Harlan's point was both those things had been done to death on Star Trek in the various franchises. I know there was an episode where they accidentally trigger the station computer AI, but it just annoys everyone.

And of course they have famously had two "cute kids" in Babylon 5, the one with the religious parents in "Deathwalker", and the young Markab girl in "Confessions and Lamenations". Both killed off - Babylon 5 would not have been kind to Will Robinson, Wesley Crusher or Alexander Worf!

The one with religious parents was Survivors not Death Walker.

*Takes pendant hat off*

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    The one with religious parents was Survivors not Death Walker.
    It was indeed - I did write that from memory though, and haven't seen it in a while. It's not the strongest of episodes.

For just a bit of fun, I liked the episode where they opened a merchandising shop on B5. It felt like a little bit of fun aimed at Star Trek.

And the classic line from Londo over his doll not being anatomically correct. "So you feel like you've been cast ... erm in a bad light".

Most embarassing thing from B5 season 2 - Ivanovas "sex dance".

Babylon 5 would not have been kind to Will Robinson
    It gave him a starring role (and a guest role to his mother !)
    Bazinga !

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    It gave him a starring role (and a guest role to his mother !)
    Why is everyone being a smartass today! Yes thanks for correcting me there ...

Why is everyone being a smartass today!
    You're making it so easy for us! Oh and that quote should have a question mark on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrow View Post
    Most embarassing thing from B5 season 2 - Ivanovas "sex dance".
    Yes, that was raaaaaaaaaaaather cringeworthy...

I've also caught a few He-Man references! Which I suspect is because of JMS and Larry Detillio being former He-Man writers...

I'm waiting on Season 3 and 4 now, which I purchased together for ?15 off Ebay the other day. I'm very interested to see the direction the show takes now, I think the thing I want revealed most at the moment is why the Shadows were so interested in Londo/the centauri.

I need to catch up with you now Martin.

Season 3 and 4 have arrived today! But there not in slim-line cases - shelf continuity is ruined!

What's Season 4 in then? I got the DVDs from Season 3 onwards when they were released, and Season 3 was in a book-style case, but Seasons 4 and 5 were in the slim-line cases (which is mainly frustrating for me because the '5' logo on the spine matches up for Seasons 1-3, and then suddenly gets bigger for Season 4 onwards
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Culley View Post
    What's Season 4 in then? I got the DVDs from Season 3 onwards when they were released, and Season 3 was in a book-style case, but Seasons 4 and 5 were in the slim-line cases (which is mainly frustrating for me because the '5' logo on the spine matches up for Seasons 1-3, and then suddenly gets bigger for Season 4 onwards
    Yeah I have the narrow 5 logo on 1 and 2, and then an enormous double sized 5 on 3 and 4! But ah well.

Onto Season 3 now, which seems to have shifted focus onto Earth issues - with the declaration of martial law and the ensuing rebellion. The alliance between Earth and the Shadows at the start of the season was very interesting to see, and not something I expected.

Elsewhere, G'Kar has got a nice new outfit, and continues to develop with each passing episode. I loved how he proposed using the Narn as security officers, and his joining in the battle with 'Arthur' in a later episodes and then getting drunk and collapsing. He's such a great character, every time he's not on screen I'm longing to see him again.

Also a surprise was the station cutting ties with Earth, and then the other alien forces agreeing to help defend the station. I really like the new black uniforms as well. Oh, and Zack is a far better addition to the regular cast than whatshisname pilot from Season 2. (I've forgotten his name again!)

Marcus is an interesting new character as well, he annoyed me a little at first, but I've grown to really like him now.

Also, does Franklin have a drug problem? It's been alluded to in...about two episodes, but nobody seems to want to mention it again.

Also, does Franklin have a drug problem? It's been alluded to in...about two episodes, but nobody seems to want to mention it again.

You do not understand. Knowledge is a three edged sword
    Bazinga !

Also a surprise was the station cutting ties with Earth, and then the other alien forces agreeing to help defend the station.
    An absolute barn-storming few episodes, those!

You're really tanking through these episodes and quite right too - it's bloody brilliant. Not long till the mind-boggling 'War Without End' now, surely?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

WhiteCrow Guest

He was overdoing the stims in Confessions and Lamentations ...

KOSH HAS BEEN KILLED!
    Although I suspect he'll be back, I was saddened by his death.

The Shadows look great, the effects work with them was quite impressive. Morden has thankfully gotten a haircut, after his appalling afro in Season 2. And Bester is helping out! Full of surprises this season!