View Poll Results: How would you rate Four to Doomsday?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Take the advice of a madman and look happy

0 0%
  • 9: This is me!

0 0%
  • 8: If a frog with a funny hairdo can turn itself into a semblance of a human being...

1 6.67%
  • 7: Conformity is the only freedom.

3 20.00%
  • 6: This is Persuasion... Friendly I hope...

4 26.67%
  • 5: Love? The exchange of two fantasies!

2 13.33%
  • 4: Are you fashionable, Tegan?

2 13.33%
  • 3: Try a Cobolt Flux

1 6.67%
  • 2: These will eliminate the need for telemicrographics.

1 6.67%
  • 1: Pass the sodium chloride

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rate and Discuss: Four to Doomsday

The Urbankans have been travelling between Earth and their home planet for generations, picking off representatives of the population as they go. They're on their way back, ready to takeover the planet!
    Can the Doctor and his friends stop them, and are the humans what they seem?

What do you think of Four to Doomsday?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Not a particular favourite of mine. It might be largely down to the way it was shot though. There are some good elements and they're clearly making an effort, but I reckon the direction lets it down. The cricket-ball sequence in particular looks awful done with CSO, when they could have acheived a much better result by filming it and using wires.

Also, the sequences where we watch Nyssa, the Doctor, Tegan and Adric sit down and look bored at some cultural dancing aren't very interesting to watch. They seemt to go on and on and on, despite only lasting a couple of minutes. If they had been directed with a bit of flair, they could have been fabulous.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

There are some good effects with the floating camera but overall this is very dull. I watched it only recently and I really struggle to recall what happens. What's the Urbankan's plan again?

In the running for the worst Doctor Who story ever. Absolutely nothing redeemable about it and Adric has never been so slappable.

It's got nice sets and the cliffhangers were memeorable enough to stay with me until I was grown up- Bigon's "This is me!" and the Doctor about to beheaded were good.

But it's not really all that great.

In contrast, I actually really enjoy this story. The plot is a little wafer thin, but there are some very good performances from the guest actors, especially Philip Locke as Bigon. I love the cliffhanger when he opens his chest and shows them the circuitry underneath, making the companions realise what the Doctor already did, that the humans on board the ship are all robotic.

I think my problem with it is that there doesn't ever seem to be any real sense of threat to the Doctor and the companions. And Davison hasn't quite nailed his Doctor yet. But I do agree with Paul, the performances by the guest stars are superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    I think my problem with it is that there doesn't ever seem to be any real sense of threat to the Doctor and the companions. And Davison hasn't quite nailed his Doctor yet. But I do agree with Paul, the performances by the guest stars are superb.

I'm sure I read somewhere that this was the first story he filmed.

It was indeed. He's playing it very differently from the rest of his era, like he's trying out different approaches and working out what works and what doesn't.

It's been a while since I saw it, and I can't remember if this was a dream but, when The Doctor has scenes with Monarch in his control room, I'm sure I could hear things banging as if some people were moving props and parts of the set around whilst this scene was being filmed. Or was that part of the background sounds?

In 1982 I really liked this one. Sometime in late 1981, I think, JN-T was interviewed by DWM and said that he wanted to bring back an old monster BUT NOT THE DALEKS - from which I was expecting to see the Cybermen in the new season (and having read all the Cyber Targets by this time, but never having seen them, I was really up for it). Ironically by the time we got to Earthshock I'd kinda given up hope, but at the start of the season I came to each story expecting them to turn up - so with the indications of androids and artificial life in 42D that's what I was expecting. Despite that semi-disappointment, though, I really enjoyed it, part 2's cliffhanger in particular is superb, and the part 4 spacewalk sequence was great, with some suitably stirring music. And one final memory, for some reason we kept playing & replaying the part 1 cliffhanger (this is on audio tape, mind you, we didn't have a VCR) to the point where Auntie's Marion & Lillian (our babysitters) were sick of hearing "This is Enlightenment, and I am Persuasion"!!

But when I watched it again a few years back, I had quite a different opinion. It's so odd - Davison's performance, understandably, is very 'strange' compared to the usual fifth Doctor. But also, from memory anyway, the plot isn't revealed by the villain gloating, but by Philip Locke's character explaining it to the Doctor. (Philip Locke, by the way, was a superb actor... except in this, where he's ludicrously OTT).

Other things, which brought a wry smile, were Tegan's comment that Monarch's plan is "wicked" (which didn't have any trendy meaning in 1982, but sounds a bit different now); and also when Lin Fitu first turns up, it's very difficult not to cry out a la Harry Hill, "It's Burt Kwouk!"

But if nothing else, it's an interesting insight into how the fifth Doctor MIGHT have been; it also justifies JN-T's policy of guest casting (although he didn't always cast the right guest) because what could have been a dreadful villain is saved by Stratford Johns, who gives a wonderful performance throughout.

Who knew Tegan had such skills at fashion design?

If the Doctor had known this, he'd surely have included it in his little monologue in the Zero Room.... "Tegan you have it in you to be a fine co-ordinator, bringing us all together in the healing time with well co-ordinated fashionable clothing, like they're wearing on Earth in 1981"

Well, we watched this again this morning and my opinion hasn't really improved. Every time you think you've reached the worst line of dialogue in history, Terrence Dudley goes one better. There's a scene in episode 2 where the TARDIS crew get together and have one of the worst conversations I've ever heard.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I fear Mr McCow is right- it's not really very good. Nice performances and sets and well lit for a change) and not too annoying music for Roger Limb don't really make it much better.

Janet Fielding hasn't learnt subtle acting yet either. She's terrible in this!

Unusual racism from the Doctor:
    "I am Lin Futu"
    "Well I would never have guessed it you look in the best of health to me."

A Nyssa Classic:
    "I understand Bio-engineering, but I am also an expert in cybernetics."
    She's a game girl.

"I mean here we are, on a spaceship, with three billion and three frogs. And four Earthlings. Why?"
    WHY?!!!

"How's your Ancient History, Tegan?"
    "Like I feel. Awful."
    "Well not to worry, mine's pretty good."

And, my god, that bloody music from the Recreationals. When they're all playing at once in the end, they seem to fall into an awful rhythm together that sticks in the mind like an arrow through the ear.

"You may keep the pencil" always makes me smile though.

Sounds like Peter D is working himself up into a right ol frenzy. Is this Who's first 18 rated DVD???

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Unusual racism from the Doctor:
    "I am Lin Futu"
    "Well I would never have guessed it you look in the best of health to me."

A Nyssa Classic:
    "I understand Bio-engineering, but I am also an expert in cybernetics."
    She's a game girl.

"I mean here we are, on a spaceship, with three billion and three frogs. And four Earthlings. Why?"
    WHY?!!!

"How's your Ancient History, Tegan?"
    "Like I feel. Awful."
    "Well not to worry, mine's pretty good."

And, my god, that bloody music from the Recreationals. When they're all playing at once in the end, they seem to fall into an awful rhythm together that sticks in the mind like an arrow through the ear.
    I quite like a couple of those lines.

Ah! so Monarch has a sexual air supply! Either that or Nyssa's interfering with the Doctor's monopticon...

4tD is by no means a classic; more of a plodder. It's actually very difficult to remember very much about it at all offhand. It's a good job that Peter changed his approach to the role, though it wasn't until Frontios that he was at his best. I think I agree with Mr. Hart about Tegan. Otherwise, only the Bigon cliffhanger is sufficiently memorable.

3/10

Surprisingly, nobody has mentioned what I would consider to be the weakest point of Four To Doomsday, and that is the fact that Adric was so taken in with Monarch's plan. Yes, he may be described as idealistic by the Doctor, but believing Monarch's plan is a good thing you beyond idealism to the point of utter stupidity.

. The cricket-ball sequence in particular looks awful done with CSO, when they could have acheived a much better result by filming it and using wires.
    the actuall CSO, with that dosen't really bother me it's the whole ridiculousness of the situation of him first being in space with no protection and then being able to even chuck a ball the way he did and it rebound back utter nonsense.

personally i've never liked Four to Doomsday, it's dull and boring and all the companions you just want to give a good slap to because they are just so annoying.

If you turned up halfway through the story and started slapping people, Larry, I'd give this one a 10/10!

You've now given me ideas about Sarah Sutton!