Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where were you in 1982?

Where were you and what were you doing in early 1982 when Season 19 first aired?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I would have turned 8 years old four months before the series started. The age that historically ends up being 'your era', and in this case I'm no exception. I would have been living in Baden Road in Gillingham at this time, and attending Arden County Primary School in Cornwall Road, now sadly gone.

I was approaching my 16th birthday and getting increasingly nervous as my O levels (remember them???) were approaching. So it was all study, study, study for me.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I was six years old. How the hell do I remember watching season nineteen so clearly?

I was married to Richard Briers and enjoying a sustainable, self-sufficient lifestyle in southern England.

Si.

I was in 2nd year of Junior Comp and had the girls' PE teacher as my form tutor. Horrible woman without the slightest sense of humour.

I think I got the Lego police station for my birthday that year.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I was married to Richard Briers and enjoying a sustainable, self-sufficient lifestyle in southern England.

Si.
    And you threw it all away and shacked up with Pam Ferris

I would have still been 7 getting used to a baby sister.

I was 7 that summer. I remember 1982 very clearly- the start of the year was exciting because we had very heavy snow. My poor Mum was heavily pregnant at the time and I remember me and my sister hanging onto her, one on each side to keep her balanced.

My brother arrived on March 30th (which as we all know was the day Time-Flight pt 4 was on). We rushed from school with my Grandma onto the bus up to the hospital to meet Jonathan for the first time, and then had to rush back home so I didn't miss Doctor Who! Even then it was really important!

Later that year I moved up to Junior school, leaving behind Mrs Sargeant who'd been such a lovely teacher for our last year. It seemed big and scary for a while, but we had a good teacher (who had to move on at the end of the year after an interesting dalliance with one of the Mums! Oh my!) and I met my favourite ever teacher, Mrs Arthy, who'd be my class teacher the next year. She was wonderful and taught us English and Maths.

I possibly spent a lot of time through the year in my TARDIS tent, which was parked under the stairs in the living room!

My ikle sister popped into being on 21st March.
    I don't remember much about that as I was only 2 and a half.
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Thinking about it, I would not have actually been in Gillingham as my mum didn't move from Maidstone until April 1982 and I stayed living with a schoolfriend's family until July 1982 so that I could finish my school year rather than join a new school mid school year. I was in Gillingham most weekends, but not all of them.

In 1982 I turned 11 - so the first six, nearly seven months was my final two terms at Primary School in Carlisle (that's just slightly South of Scotland). Those were really such good times, and although looking back I think I was the only Who Fan in the fanboy sense (ie, getting DWM, reading the Targets, writing stories) there were certainly others in my class who regularly watched the show. Our class for that final year was one of the 'temporary' huts that had gone up around the edges of the playground about 30 years earlier (although I gather that today they have been replaced). They had some steps into a sort of 'porch' and then the class proper - the door into the class was kept locked, but not the outside door, so although our teacher told us not to, some of us would congregate in the porch every morning to chat.. and then would quickly rush outside when we heard Mrs Macoll's class.

Just such a really great time, we'd all grown up together through Primary School, and in a sense had 'bonded' during those Star Wars years (I can remember the buzz in 1980 before & after ESB arrived); so it was a big wrench when we moved down South in the Summer. So the Autumn of 1982 was... well, not so fondly remembered, put it that way. I got the Palitoy (actually, probably Kenner by then) AT-AT Walker at Christmas; but inexplicably very few people in my Secondary School class seemed to be into Star Wars, so I felt a bit childish at still being into it. Ah well!

But 1982, while season 19 was on, was just great - in fact, absolutely splendid!

I've really enjoyed everyone's memories of 82. They don't make nostalgia like they used to :-)

Here's me and my family at my brother's Christening in May 1982

Simon, put your coat on properly!

That's probably what my Dad was about to bellow. I didn't want to wear it as my brother had been sick down it earlier!

Si, your dad looks a little like Daniel Craig and a little like Pete Townshend.

Wasn't this the year the ZX Spectrum came out?

I think this was my first year at the Abbot Beyne school, the "big school".
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Wells View Post
    Si, your dad looks a little like Daniel Craig and a little like Pete Townshend.
    I'll tell him that- he'll be delighted!

The only purpose of these threads is to make us old fogeys feel reeeeeeeally old
    Bazinga !

I would have been six. I don't think they would put Doctor Who on our local PBS for a couple more years, and when they did it was Tom Baker episodes.

I too was six (and a half to be not very precise!), and still living in the first house I remember, the little terraced 29 Bellmore Street, Garston, Liverpool, with its little back room which was the main living room, and in which I used to sit cross-legged and watch 'Doctor Who'. It was only a small house, with just two (two!) bedrooms and yet there were five of us - mum, dad, my older brother and sister, and me - with my younger brother still three-and-a-half years off!

I was four months old and living in the village of Folksworth. I like to think Who was on in the background.

I was three that March, living in our original family home in Leyton (East London) which we moved from just over 2 years later. I might've been watching Worzel Gummidge that year but I didn't discover Who until a couple of years later. My second brother was born in November that year (my first brother is 19 months younger than me). Little did I know then that having a baby in the family would be a regular feature for the next six years.

I was 12 - and thanks to all the previous posts I feel very old!

I was a year into my new home - the back garden of which used to be next door to the undertakers. He used to leave the main doors open in the summer to get some ventilation in......

We had our first top-loading Betamax video recorder. Very important for taping Who!