Default Beware "Friendly" Criminals - Don't Get Hugger Mugged!

Manchester is the latest city to be hit by a rise in “hugger mugger” robbings.

Police said that during the festive period, 11 people were targeted by friendly criminals – who pretend to hug unsuspecting victims before swiping their valuables – during nights out in the Canal Street area of the city centre.

A CCTV still released by Great Manchester Police shows a hugger mugger in action – reaching into the back pocket of a partygoer for his wallet.

Other police forces have been recently warning revellers to be wary of hugger muggers. More than 160 cases of people having their wallets, jewellery and other valuables stolen in London’s West End in 2011 without force or violence, Scotland Yard said.

An anonymous victim spoke of his anger to the BBC after he had his credit card stolen by friendly strangers at a London bar: “I felt a bit stupid in a sense and naive that I'd actually allowed myself to get into that situation.”
    Never mind betrayed with a kiss. Now you can get mugged with a hug!

Better or worse than getting smacked with a baseball bat?

Si.

I'd feel more betrayed by a hug.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

If they were smelly and sweaty I wouldn't want them hugging me anyway! If they smelt nice and were good looking, it might be worth the financial hit.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    If they were smelly and sweaty I wouldn't want them hugging me anyway! If they smelt nice and were good looking, it might be worth the financial hit.

Si.
    You tart!

Police said that during the festive period, 11 people were targeted by friendly criminals – who pretend to hug unsuspecting victims before swiping their valuables – during nights out in the Canal Street area of the city centre.
    Rumbled at last!

And to think people have told me for years that I "overreact" because I freak out when someone tries to grab me!
    Why build an engine when you have a perfectly good whale?