Default Nothing at the End of the Lane issue 3

The magazine is in full-colour, 116-pages and is priced at £5.99 plus postage. From Monday, it can be ordered from the new Nothing at the End of the Lane website at www.endofthelane.co.uk (Please note the new website address!)

And here's what the magazine contains:

Illuminating The Dark Dimension: Our mammoth 30-page article looks at the planned anniversary special, seeing how far things really got and for the first time, we reveal precisely the reasons why it all fell apart. With artwork by Lee Sullivan.

Journey into Time - The Story of the Lost Doctor Who Radio Series: Detailing precisely what happened back in 1966/67 when Stanmark Productions proposed an independent 52-episode radio series, from its early development through to the recording of the pilot with Peter Cushing as the Doctor. We also reproduce the original pilot script, written by Malcolm Hulke.

"Oh No, You Shouldn't!": We look back on William Hartnell's one and only pantomime performance in the 1966/67 tour of Puss in Boots, complete with photos of Billy as Buskin, the Fairy Cobbler...

The Original Sarah Jane Smith: So who really was originally cast as Sarah Jane Smith back in 1973? We reveal all and talk to the actress concerned to find out what happened.

The Living Planet: We look back at the one of the first stories proposed for the new series, written by Alan Wakeman during the summer of 1963 and contains the full proposed storyline and the draft script for the first episode.

Designing The Space Pirates: Costume Designer Nick Bullen shares his costume designs from The Space Pirates, and for the first time since 1969 we get an idea what Dom Issigri looked like!

Hayles Storm: We reprint and review ten unmade storylines submitted by Brian Hayles to the production office between February 1965 and May 1975, covering the first four Doctors featuring more Ice Warriors, the return of the Celestial Toymaker and a meeting with the Toymaker's half-sister, The Queen of Time.

The Evil of the Daleks - The Chris Thompson Off-Screen Photographs: For the first time, we publish the 26 off-screen photographs taken by Production Designer Chris Thompson from the first episode of The Evil of the Daleks. The article also features photos from Chris' personal collection showing the filming done at Ealing in the Emperor's chamber.

New Location Photographs: New colour photographs taken during the location filming of The Smugglers and The Invasion and new b/w photos from The Enemy of the World.

Plus:

We speak to the winners of the 1965 TV Century 21 Dalek competition to see what it was like to win a Movie Dalek and what happened to them and we take a look at the Mark 7 Daleks from the 1972 Radio Times competition...
    We look at some of the proposed 1960s toys that never made it to the shops...
    We find out from Effects Designer John Horton just what went wrong with the original Nestene effect in Spearhead from Space...
    And lots of other interesting stuff!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wow, that sounds really excellent, I may have to splash out on that I think!!

I think it's up to order from tomorrow. Looks good, doesn't it?

And news of a discovery...

A long-lost radio script for an episode of a proposed Doctor Who radio series, to be made in the late sixties, and starring Peter Cushing as the Doctor, has been discovered in the BBC archives.

Journey into Time was written by Malcolm Hulke, who went on to write some of the most regarded scripts of the classic series of Doctor Who. In the radio play, a pilot of which was recorded but never broadcast, the Doctor, accompanied by his granddaughter, ends up in the midst of the American Revolution. The recording has been lost for many years.

The series was proposed as a collaboration between independent company Stanmark Productions and Watermill Productions, who put forward plans for 52 episodes to be made for Australia and other overseas territories. It would star Cushing, who had previously played a character called 'Doctor Who' in the two Dalek movies made earlier in the decade. Its existence was known about through promotional material discovered in 1989, but the script was thought lost until it was discovered by Richard Bignell in a file of merchandising queries held in the BBC archives.

The series was rejected by the BBC with Martin Esslin, head of sound drama, saying: "As a typical commercial production for unsophisticated listeners in Australia or even some parts of the United States, it stands up quite well. As a piece of science fiction, however, it strikes me as extremely feeble."

The story detailing precisely what happened back in 1966/67, along with the original pilot script, is detailed in the third issue of the production research magazine Nothing at the End of the Lane, published on Monday 16th January.

Was one of the reasons "The Dark Dimension" fell apart was Tony Blair wasn't in power in 1993? Or is it another dig at Tony's involvement with Iraq?
    (That's nothing compared to what Cameron will be sucking us into...)

It's up for order now!

Been there, had it, it's had me!

I've ordered it, is what I'm saying.

Si.

Just had a looksee at the website and an omnibus of the first two issues is available on a print to order basis (via lulu.com) for anyone else who like me struggles with the idea of just having an issue 3 of something.

Just reading the article on the 3 boys who won actual Daleks from the film in 1965. I can't even begin to imagine their excitement!

But how sad that they all no longer have the Daleks. One rotted in a shed, one sold to a private collector, and jaw-droppingly, one put on a bonfire!!

In that last sentence I'm referring to the Daleks of course, not the boys!!

Although you might want to put the boy on the bonfire for doing just that!
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge