Thread: Antony Root

Default Antony Root

Just thinking about Season 19 script editor, Antony Root and I realise I know next to nothing about him.

So who was he and what exactly did he contribute to Who? I'm sure I read somewhere that he was hardly involved and that Eric Saward did the bulk of the later script editing of the season. Is that true or did I imagine it? Also hadn't Chris Bidmead already set up the beginning of the season or did I imagine that too?

Certainly by the time Earthshock was in production Eric Saward had all but taken over the role but Root was involved with developing the first half of the season but I think JNT's refusal to employ many of the old writers from previous seasons made the role something of a poisoned chalice.

He was on a 3 month placement between Bidmead and Saward and di most of the work on Four to Doomsday and The Visitation, along with siome on Kinda, which Saward then took over.

On the Kinda documentary he's certainly very enthusiastic about the scripts, but says he didn't get to guide them all the way through to the studio.

He's gone on to have a really good career- comissioning and producing stuff in the US and for C4.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.