Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The BRIT Awards 2007

Broadcast live tonight for the first time in years. Well, I think there's a thirty second delay as Russell Brand is presenting.

Who do we think will win the most awards? Lily Allen, Muse, Gnarls Barkley, Snow Patrol, Arctic Monkeys, Amy Winehouse?

Does anyone care?

Latest odds for Best Single:

Quote Originally Posted by Ladbrokes
    BEST SINGLE ODDS
    The Feeling Fill My Little World - 20/1
    Razorlight America - 4/1
    Snow Patrol Chasing Cars - 9/2
    Take That Patience - 1/2
    Will Young All Time Love - 10/1

A reminder of the shortlist:

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    Brit Awards 2007: The shortlist

The shortlist for this year's Brit Awards, to be held at Earls Court, London on 14 February.

British male solo artist: James Morrison, Jarvis Cocker, Lemar, Paolo Nutini, Thom Yorke.

British female solo artist: Amy Winehouse, Corinne Bailey Rae, Jamelia, Lily Allen, Nerina Pallot.

British album: Amy Winehouse - Back to Black, Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, Lily Allen - Alright Still, Muse - Black Holes & Revelations, Snow Patrol - Eyes Open.

British group: Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, Muse, Razorlight, Snow Patrol.

British breakthrough act: Corinne Bailey Rae, The Fratellis, James Morrison, The Kooks, Lily Allen. (Winner chosen by BBC Radio 1 listeners)

International breakthrough act: Gnarls Barkley, Orson, The Raconteurs, Ray Lamontagne, Wolfmother. (Winner chosen by MTV viewers)

British live act: George Michael, Guillemots, Kasabian, Muse, Robbie Williams. (Winner chosen by BBC Radio 2 listeners)

British single: The Feeling - Fill My Little World, Razorlight - America, Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars, Take That - Patience, Will Young - All Time Love. (A live public vote will decide the winner on the night)

International male solo artist: Beck, Bob Dylan, Damien Rice, Jack Johnson, Justin Timberlake.

International female solo artist: Beyonc, Cat Power, Christina Aguilera, Nelly Furtado, Pink.

International group: The Flaming Lips, Gnarls Barkley, The Killers, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Scissor Sisters.

International album: Bob Dylan - Modern Times, Gnarls Barkley - St Elsewhere, Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds, The Killers - Sam's Town, Scissor Sisters - Ta-Dah.

Outstanding contribution to music: Oasis
    Hoping to see someone punch Russell Brand or at least knee him in his sweaty ballbags.

Doors are open and the Red Carpet coverage has just started on ITV2:

Stone looking good...

Latest pics here

but not as good as Winehouse.
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 14th Feb 2007 at 7:23 PM. Reason: to add link

As long as Muse win all the categories in which they appear, that's all that matters to me.

I'm just annoyed, though, that Pink Floyd have once again been ignored for the Outstanding Contribution award.

Pip Madeley Guest

British male solo artist - Winner: James Morrison
    Also nominated: Jarvis Cocker, Lemar, Paolo Nutini, Thom Yorke.

British female solo artist - Winner: Amy Winehouse
    Also nominated: Corinne Bailey Rae, Jamelia, Lily Allen, Nerina Pallot.

British album - Winner: Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
    Also nominated: Amy Winehouse - Back to Black, Lily Allen - Alright Still, Muse - Black Holes & Revelations, Snow Patrol - Eyes Open.

British group - Winners: Arctic Monkeys
    Also nominated: Kasabian, Muse, Razorlight, Snow Patrol.

British breakthrough act - Winners: The Fratellis
    Also nominated: Corinne Bailey Rae, James Morrison, The Kooks, Lily Allen. (Winner chosen by BBC Radio 1 listeners)

International breakthrough act - Winners: Orson
    Also nominated: Gnarls Barkley, The Raconteurs, Ray Lamontagne, Wolfmother. (Winner chosen by MTV viewers)

British live act - Winners: Muse
    Also nominated: George Michael, Guillemots, Kasabian, Robbie Williams. (Winner chosen by BBC Radio 2 listeners)

British single - Winner: Take That - Patience
    Also nominated: The Feeling - Fill My Little World, Razorlight - America, Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars, Will Young - All Time Love. (A live public vote will decide the winner on the night)

International male solo artist - Winner: Justin Timberlake
    Also nominated: Beck, Bob Dylan, Damien Rice, Jack Johnson.

International female solo artist - Winner: Nelly Furtado
    Also nominated: Beyonce, Cat Power, Christina Aguilera, Pink.

International group - Winners: The Killers
    Also nominated: The Flaming Lips, Gnarls Barkley, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Scissor Sisters.

International album - Winner: The Killers - Sam's Town
    Also nominated: Bob Dylan - Modern Times, Gnarls Barkley - St Elsewhere, Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds, , Scissor Sisters - Ta-Dah.
    Hurrah for Muse, The Killers and Furtado, but I couldn't give a toss about the rest. Jarvis was robbed.

Sorry Pip, but why on Earth Jarvis got nominated is a mystery to me. Fair game, but for Jarvis and Thom Yorke to be up for best male solo artist!! They are both semi-retired veterans of once-huge groups now producing solo albums for small cult fanbases. They shouldn't be winning awards for being the best of Britain.

It was a pretty poor show. Russell Brand was AWFUL - his intro speech, chock full of bad-standup, went on forever. And Michael Jackson jokes were old hat ten years ago - it was especially unwelcome given it repeated the tired misaprehension about the 1996 BRITS. The rest of his patter was tasteless (jokes about Iraq and willys/vaginas were presumably supposed to shock) and controversial for the sake of it.

I didn't like many of the acts, and the nominations were a bit contrived. Why wasn't Madonna up for Best International Female? The best you could say that it was nice that Lily Allen won nothing, and Take That and Nelly Furtardo got gongs.

Si.

I just couldn't bring myself to watch this. Its all just so boring.

I also found the stupid losses of sound (everytime someone apparently swore) annoying to the extreme. What was the point in trumpetting throughout the day that it was the first "live" one since 1989 and then having it cut out everytime a rude word was said. How is that "live"?

Si.

I thought it was sad that that was the big Selling point of the event. The producers were obviously desperate for another Jarvis/chumbawumba incident to happen!

Ooooooh we're live. Its so dangerous!

Also I suspect Oasis were diabolical, though I'm not sure if it was me just not "getting" it. Liam seemed to be deliberately leaving the end of every line of all the songs, and doing a recent album track instead of something more obvious (i.e one people know) was a bit misguided.

Si.

Just realised that I got quite angry typing that last post of mine.

It annoys me too. It was so well publicised that it was live. The 30 second delay was therefore not only a lie, but cowardly as well. If people are moronic enough to complain when a swear word is heard on a live broadcast, they deserve to be ignored anyway.

In fact, all the delay did was ensure every 'censored' bit involved a hamfisted 'muffled' period of 10 seconds to cover it. Arguably, it would have been better pre-recorded - at least then they could have neatly edited those bits (and chopped out most of the crap from Russell Brand's cakehole).

Si.

Dave Lewis Guest

"Did I watch the Brit Awards show? No, no, no..."

However, I did hear that Russell Brand was on top-dick-sacs-genius form. Maybe it's all a question of personal taste when it comes to him.

As for the winners, well...

British male solo artist - Winner: James Morrison
    Also nominated: Jarvis Cocker, Lemar, Paolo Nutini, Thom Yorke.
    None of them deserved it, really, but probably Paolo Nutini if I had to choose one.

British female solo artist - Winner: Amy Winehouse
    Also nominated: Corinne Bailey Rae, Jamelia, Lily Allen, Nerina Pallot.
    Nerina or Lily should have won this, not the unrehabilitated one.

British album - Winner: Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
    Also nominated: Amy Winehouse - Back to Black, Lily Allen - Alright Still, Muse - Black Holes & Revelations, Snow Patrol - Eyes Open.
    Hmmm... none of these. Guillemots, or Larrikin Love. Or The View, if it had been out in time. Or the Fratelli's. Or Kasabian. Or anybody.

British group - Winners: Arctic Monkeys
    Also nominated: Kasabian, Muse, Razorlight, Snow Patrol.
    None of these again. Who comes up with the nominees here?

British breakthrough act - Winners: The Fratellis
    Also nominated: Corinne Bailey Rae, James Morrison, The Kooks, Lily Allen. (Winner chosen by BBC Radio 1 listeners)
    From the choices, it seems that the listeners to FABULOUS ONE EFF EMM got it right. Except it should have been the Kooks.

International breakthrough act - Winners: Orson
    Also nominated: Gnarls Barkley, The Raconteurs, Ray Lamontagne, Wolfmother. (Winner chosen by MTV viewers)
    FABULOUS EMM TEE VEE viewers are idiots. My mate Steve loves Ray Lamontagne, so he should have won. Ray, not Steve.

British live act - Winners: Muse
    Also nominated: George Michael, Guillemots, Kasabian, Robbie Williams. (Winner chosen by BBC Radio 2 listeners)
    I hate Muse. I'd rather go and see George Michael. Whilst being shagged up the front bottom by Prince Philip in his wellies. Guillemots, I can attest, are brilliant and should have won this category. RAY DEE OH TOO listeners are deaf.

British single - Winner: Take That - Patience
    Also nominated: The Feeling - Fill My Little World, Razorlight - America, Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars, Will Young - All Time Love. (A live public vote will decide the winner on the night)
    I like Patience. I love Take That. But it's not even as good as Will Young's All Time Love, let alone Razorlight's America. It is, however, better than the dire Chasing Cars, which I am alone in the world in hating.

International male solo artist - Winner: Justin Timberlake
    Also nominated: Beck, Bob Dylan, Damien Rice, Jack Johnson.
    Justin, you've brought sexy back. Now why don't you f**k off?

International female solo artist - Winner: Nelly Furtado
    Also nominated: Beyonce, Cat Power, Christina Aguilera, Pink.
    Can't argue with this one, but I will anyway. What a load of tat.

International group - Winners: The Killers
    Also nominated: The Flaming Lips, Gnarls Barkley, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Scissor Sisters.
    Yeah, I'll go along with this. Thank God the Chilis didn't win. Somebody may have noticed that EVERY SINGLE SONG THEY'VE DONE since Californication is exactly the same.

International album - Winner: The Killers - Sam's Town
    Also nominated: Bob Dylan - Modern Times, Gnarls Barkley - St Elsewhere, Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds, , Scissor Sisters - Ta-Dah.
    From the nominees here, I give Sam's Town a big thumbs up. Imagine them all lined up together, Dylan, JT, the Scissor Sisters, Dangermouse and the fat bloke, and the Killers. Bob would probably think he had actually died and was in some bizarre heaven/hell combination.

Brits. It rhymes with Sh*ts.

I agree with all of that.
    Especially
    I hate Muse. I'd rather go and see George Michael. Whilst being shagged up the front bottom by Prince Philip in his wellies.

Pip Madeley Guest

Muse gigs are great, the atmosphere is electric, they deserve to win the award again.

As for Jarvis, he's one of the finest lyricists this country has ever produced, and his new album is under-rated, plus he's one of my idols, so of course I think he fully deserves to be nominated.

I agree with everything Si Hunt has posted in this thread!

That must be a first!

Spot on about Muse, Dave.

I needed subtitles to understand the Weegie/ned/nasal whine of The Fratellis and Paulo Nutini. Whit a bunch o fuds!

They should get together and record/release a version of the classic 'Weegie Rhapsody':

#Is this the real life? Is this the methadone?
    Stuck in the Gorbals wi two bob fur the telephone.
    Open yer wine and talk wi a whine like me
    Am jist a Weegie, gie us yer Sunny D
    Cos ah'll chib yer pal, rip yer da
    Slash yer dug, ride yer maw...

Sadly, I can't post the rest of the lyrics.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    I needed subtitles to understand the Weegie/ned/nasal whine of The Fratellis and Paulo Nutini. Whit a bunch o fuds!

They should get together and record/release a version of the classic 'Weegie Rhapsody':

#Is this the real life? Is this the methadone?
    Stuck in the Gorbals wi two bob fur the telephone.
    Open yer wine and talk wi a whine like me
    Am jist a Weegie, gie us yer Sunny D
    Cos ah'll chib yer pal, rip yer da
    Slash yer dug, ride yer maw...

Sadly, I can't post the rest of the lyrics.
    I think that's what's meant by "viewers in Scotland have their own programme..."

Wayne Guest

What's wrong with 'Muse' then, Dave? From i've heard of 'em, they're a bloody talented band!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    I'm just annoyed, though, that Pink Floyd have once again been ignored for the Outstanding Contribution award.
    They don't have a greatest hits out to plug.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Dave Lewis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    What's wrong with 'Muse' then, Dave? From i've heard of 'em, they're a bloody talented band!
    I find their lyrics, music, videos, interviews, photographs, and very existence on this planet a nauseating affront to the civilised world and an insult to me personally. I'd rather listen to Phil Collins whilst having it off with Phil Collins than listen to a single second of a Muse song.

Last edited by Dave Lewis; 15th Feb 2007 at 5:51 PM. Reason: Your golden lies feed my role in this forgotten space race under my control ...

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post
    I find their lyrics, music, videos, interviews, photographs, and very existence on this planet a nauseating affront to the civilised world and an insult to me personally. I'd rather listen to Phil Collins whilst having it off with Phil Collins than listen to a single second of a Muse song.

But that's just another way of expressing how much you don't like them without saying why!
    Not that i'm a rabid fan or anything. I've only heard one album that Pip sent me ages ago, but i was quite impressed with their versatility. In fact, the rockier stuff on it was the stuff i liked the least, as opposed to doomy, Portishead-ish piano based stuff that i really liked.

Dave Lewis Guest

Alright then, their lyrics are vapid and meaningless and I hate Matt Bellamy's whiny voice.

Pip Madeley Guest

The important factor is that the Best British Live Act award is voted for by the general public, not by a panel of musos and critics, so Muse are rightful winners.

As for the Phil Collins remark, I'll ignore it. He won the award for Best British Male Solo Artist in 1986, 1989 and 1990. So meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Sorry Pip, but why on Earth Jarvis got nominated is a mystery to me. Fair game, but for Jarvis and Thom Yorke to be up for best male solo artist!! They are both semi-retired veterans of once-huge groups now producing solo albums for small cult fanbases. They shouldn't be winning awards for being the best of Britain.
    Rubbish! Semi-retired?! Jarvis isn't semi-retired! His album is very good and he's going on tour in 2007- why shouldn't he be nominated? I don't like Thom Yorke much, but I expect someone could say the same for him.
    Also, an album as good as Jarvis' deserves to reach a wider audience, and I expect he hasn't just made it to reach a few hardcore fans.

I had a cracking follow-up to Dave and Pip - involving Jarvis, Bellamy and Collins - but now I'm glad I bottled it when I reached "Preview Post" five minutes ago.

Pip and Carol would've squeezed all the milk out of me!!

Pip Madeley Guest

Amen to that Carol

Captain Tancredi Guest

We kind of had this discussion in work today- I work with two Smiths fans who were making a case for Morrissey and arguing that any poll which lets you choose the best album or whatever in any field from a shortlist of six isn't much of a poll. Personally I don't know enough about the artists involved (except that whenever Amy Winehouse opens her gob, there's a little silent prayer of "please God, let her be singing not talking") but the one thing I do know is that you can't elect artistic merit and quality has never been decided on phone-in polls.