Default Has something changed with facebook notifications?

I don't really use my facebook page, but I sort of leave it hanging there in cyberspace in case I ever want it. It usually leaves me alone and I leave it alone. But recently (the past week or so) I just keep getting bombarded with emails EVERY time a friend updates their status. And I have some of those friends who like to update it 5 times a day. I don't want these emails at all. I keep logging on and unticking more and more of the notification options, and yet these emails keep coming in. Each email has an unsubscribe link at the bottom, which just takes me to the main facebook page and doesn't unsubscribe.

Has something changed recently? Has anyone else had this? How on earth do I stop this? It seems at the moment I either have to de-activate my account, de-friend everyone, or put the word "facebook" into my spam filter.

You can get most Email clients to dump any email from Facebook into a separate folder. I don't know why you're getting so many all of a sudden, all I can suggest is checking lots of options. Strange that you're still getting them.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The easiest way to take care of it probably, would be to put all of your friends into lists or a single list (such as 'family', 'close friends' 'acquaintance'- I think those are FB provided ones.) Once they are all in, click on that list and then click on the 'Notifications' button and turn it off for each list.

The thing is I've NEVER got emails about other people's status updates before. I get them if someone sends me a message, or other notable things, but never just if a friend updates their status. That surely happens so often that no-one would want to get emails about that and I can't even find an option for it on the notifications page.

I'll try some of the suggestions later as I can't get to it at the moment.

If people are noted as "close friends" (with a star) it notifies you everytime they post a status update. I changed all of my friends to mere acquaintences to stop this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    If people are noted as "close friends" (with a star) it notifies you everytime they post a status update. I changed all of my friends to mere acquaintences to stop this.
    Or you can also click on the 'notifications' button inside the close friends list and set it to off.

(actually, it looks like that is the only list that does that, and has that option, which if I remember the default option is not off, so it has to be set.)
    Last edited by Jeff; 3rd Feb 2012 at 6:52 PM.

Strange thing is, Facebook decided who my close friends are, not me!

It did a pretty good job of sorting my 'Family' list for me, even more distant relatives that I didn't list as family myself ended up being listed in the Profile list. Some of them are listed as 'unknown' in the Profile list, but they are there without my help.

Incidentally, my 'Close Friends' list is used for the fine folks here at PS. Now doesn't that make you all feel warm and special. (and if anyone here isn't on my list of friends, feel free to send a request.)

Yes it seems it's this Close Friends thing. Last time I actively used it there wasn't even an option to sort people into lists. That probably shows you how often I log on