Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 200 Years of Dickens

Today marks the 200th anniversary of the birth of Charles Dickens.

Are you a fan of his work? What's your fabourite and why? Why do you think his work is still being read even now?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Love today's Google doodle:

I haven't read that many but I've seen adaptations of a lot of them. I've always liked the larger than life characters such as Magwitch, Mr Bumble, and Josiah Bounderby.

I've generally found his books quite boring and overrated - some could be massively cut down to make quite good stories (and those are the ones that get adapted), and many literary critics seem to forget that they were published as soap operas (ie episodic with cliffhangers etc.) when they waffle on about their huge themes and ideas.

It may well be that they've been ruined by having to read them at school, but I've never been tempted to revisit them or watch any of the adaptations.
    Bazinga !

I never studied Dickens at school, which may explain why I like his books so much! There's something about them that's so comforting. Starting one of his books is like getting into a hot bath or putting on a comfy jacket. It's knowing that the prose will be great from start to finish, with intelligence, warmth and lashings of humour that make them so enjoyable.

Sometimes it can be a bit of a slog and you do have to make an effort to remember the characters - or alternatively, look up a synopsis online to remind yourself what's going on - but I find Dickens to be a thoroughly rewarding, satisfying read.

In the past fifteen years I've read almost all of his novels, aside from The Mystery of Edwin Drood. The only one I didn't care much for was Hard Times, but aside from that I found them all thoroughly enjoyable.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The only one I've ever had to study in detail was Hard Times. I think the title speaks for itself although it is one of the best social commentaries of its time. I do want to try and read more of them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    I've generally found his books quite boring and overrated - some could be massively cut down to make quite good stories (and those are the ones that get adapted), and many literary critics seem to forget that they were published as soap operas (ie episodic with cliffhangers etc.) when they waffle on about their huge themes and ideas.
    I found that with Oliver Twist; there's obvious padding fitted round so many chapters with the Bumbles that don't take the story anywhere til the locket's taken to them; and the undertaker's assistant's efforts to find and take his revenge on Oliver fizzles out and isn't concluded. This rather put me off reading Dickens, and i've only read A Christmas Carol and Great expectations since.

I've not read / seen as many Dickens stories as I felt I should have. I thoroughly enjoyed the recent BBC adaptation of "Great Expectations", and it makes me want to invest some time in reading some of his other material. His descriptions of Victorian life are mesmerising.

I've read A Christmas Carol and Our Mutual Friend. I really liked the latter, though I didn't know what a dustman (much less 'golden dustman' was for a lot of it, until I looked it up. (we call them garbage men or trash collectors over here, so I'd never heard that term)

many literary critics seem to forget that they were published as soap operas (ie episodic with cliffhangers etc.) when they waffle on about their huge themes and ideas.
    That was pretty normal at the time, though. Many of what are now considered great 'books' were published in serial form. Books were something of a luxury at the time, and often consisted of serialised publications gathered together.

However, Dickens was definitely writing with a great deal of 'huge themes and ideas' in mind. He was writing social commentary, and I'm not too sure he'd be very happy with how his books are remembered these days (how many people think 'consider yourself one of us' or 'got to pick a pocket or two' when they hear the title 'Oliver Twist', thinking of some jolly musical rather than the damning portrayal of London's slums and the life of crime slipped into so easily by an orphan child which Dickens was actually writing?).

my mum bought the complete works of Charles Dickens many years ago when I was just a child all these books have been sitting on the shelf ever since and I can honestly say that I've never read a single word of them. The simple reason is they have never interested me.

Thinking about it a bit more, and having heard bits of adaptations of CD books I have not read, one of the things I really dislike about his books are that his heroes/heroines are such feeble characters, who seem to just let things happen to them and do nothing to help themselves. Their fate seems to depend soley on those around them, rather than anything they strive for themselves. I feel I want to give some of them a good hefty slap !
    Bazinga !

Thinking about it a bit more, and having heard bits of adaptations of CD books I have not read, one of the things I really dislike about his books are that his heroes/heroines are such feeble characters, who seem to just let things happen to them and do nothing to help themselves. Their fate seems to depend soley on those around them, rather than anything they strive for themselves. I feel I want to give some of them a good hefty slap !
    I'd have to disagree, Jon. Nicholas Nickelby and Sydney Carton are two heroes of stories who are very proactive in their actions. Carton was a man who had lingered negligently through his life up until the events of A Tale of Two Cities where he takes very decisive action, and Nicholas Nickelby is a character who if anything could be described as overly rash.

I've read quite a few of Dickens' novels and have enjoyed all of them, although some have dragged in places. My favourite is still Great Expectations and David Copperfield. His characters are so vivid, especially so of the more grotesque ones such as Uriah Heap.
    I agree with Jason, in that I feel he wouldn't have been particularly pleased to see Oliver Twist turned into a rather nonthreatening musical. Fagin's character in that adaption is almost a lovable rogue who actually does seem to like Oliver, whereas his depiction in the novel is far harsher and ruthless. The whole conclusion of the novel revolves around some of his more unpleasant actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I'd have to disagree, Jon. Nicholas Nickelby and Sydney Carton are two heroes of stories who are very proactive in their actions. Carton was a man who had lingered negligently through his life up until the events of A Tale of Two Cities where he takes very decisive action, and Nicholas Nickelby is a character who if anything could be described as overly rash.
    Ah, I wasn't thinking of Carton as being the 'hero' - hero is probably the wrong word to use, I meant the central characters , so for TO2C it would be Charles Darney and Lucie Manette - two lifeless drips who carreer from one disaster to another and who are only saved and brought together by the actions of others (esp Sydney Carton).

Similarly Pip in GE, Oliver Twist and David Copperfield are characters that just drift about having interesting things done to them by more interesting characters. And while NN has his moments he too spends a lot of time flapping about and falling into other people's plots.

(I thought the Bleak Old Shop of Stuff, on over Christmas and a series starting tomorrow was painfully accurate !!)
    Bazinga !

I've also never read, or had any desire to read, any Dickens. I've seen a few TV adaptations of things and usually thought they were okay, but really I've never had any interest in his works at all. I thought I was in a minority though, but from this thread it seems not

For me Dickens has a bad habit. Why use 12 words of description when 40 will do just as well.

Why use 12 words of description when 40 will do just as well.
    Yes, but he's brilliant at it. For Dickens, it's all about choosing the right words.

One of my favourite passages from Dickens is the opening paragraph from Nicholas Nickleby.

There once lived, in a sequestered part of the county of Devonshire, one Mr Godfrey Nickleby: a worthy gentleman, who, taking it into his head rather late in life that he must get married, and not being young enough or rich enough to aspire to the hand of a lady of fortune, had wedded an old flame out of mere attachment, who in her turn had taken him for the same reason. Thus two people who cannot afford to play cards for money, sometimes sit down to a quiet game for love.
    Yes, the first sentence is upwards of 70 words, but there is a rhythm to the text. It paints a picture of Godfrey that is charming and romantic.

There's also that subtle sarcasm of phrases like 'had wedded an old flame out of mere attachment', condemning the prevalent viewpoint of society that people should marry for money without preaching or being political.

Once you get the hang of the long sentence structure, Dickens is a real delight to read. Tom Baker once suggested that taking notes was a good way to tackle Dickens if you're having trouble keeping track of all the characters.

He's not perfect, but I find his writing to be very enjoyable.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    For me Dickens has a bad habit. Why use 12 words of description when 40 will do just as well.
    To paraphrase Jake Thackray, "he doesn't write three or for words when a couple of thousand will easily do; he just goes on again, on again, on again on..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Yes, but he's brilliant at it. For Dickens, it's all about choosing the right words.
    Etc.
    Great post!

Why use 12 words of description when 40 will do just as well.
    I remember my Dad saying, of the "It was the best of times..." opening to A Tale of Two Cities, that if you'd used it in an English essay at school your teacher would probably have marked you down and told you to get on with it!!

I've read almost no Dickens (for shame!!). I've read A Christmas Carol and really enjoyed it - but then I also tried to read another of his Christmas stories, and just could not finish it. So, erm, there you go!

I didn't think The Christmas Stories were that good, to be honest.

Nicholas Nickleby is a good one to start with. It's an early, comic one but not as episodic as The Pickwick Papers. Plus in the TV adaptation one of the main characters, Sir Mulberry Hawk, was played by Anthony Ainley!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I didn't think The Christmas Stories were that good, to be honest.

Nicholas Nickleby is a good one to start with. It's an early, comic one but not as episodic as The Pickwick Papers. Plus in the TV adaptation one of the main characters, Sir Mulberry Hawk, was played by Anthony Ainley!
    In the radio omnibus I caught part of on Radio 4 extra Vincent Crummles was being voiced by Tom Baker.
    Bazinga !

Well I think he's marvellous!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

We know you love a good Dickins session, Si!

OH MY!