Default Doctor Whoa!, Doctor Oho, Doctor Who?

Here's a thread largely designed for people to reminisce about the good old days of Tim Quinn and Dicky Howett's comedy skits in Doctor Who Magazine!

I was meaning to write into DWM about the recent Doctor Whoa! strip though, in which five Doctor Whos discuss the size of Tom Baker's part... in The Dark Dimension. Firstly, I thought it was in appalling taste, which I wouldn't mind so much if it was actually funny. It was also a rather obscure fannish reference, people watching the new series could reasonably be expected to know something about the old series, but an aborted movie from 1993? How irrelevant, unfunny and late is this joke? (the answer is extremely, before you nip in!)

It's not like the good old days. TQ & DH knew their market. There was the fab Doctor Who's Tragical History Tour, whole page skits on VHS releases such as The Five Doctors and The Deadly Assassain and glorious one-offs such as 'Early Experiments in CSO'.

What have been your favourite comic skits in Doctor Who Magazine? What do you remember with fondness and what was a bit naff? And do you agree that Doctor Whoa! must die?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Just to be picky, the Comic Assassins Kev F. and Stanton did the VHS release full page strips, and very nicely they did them too.

"Faith, Hope, Love. And the greatest of these is...
    This brand new Mini-Metro which you can win because tonight, live from Norwich, it's Sale of the Century!"

Tim Quinn and Dicky Howett's Doctor Who? is my favourite because they managed years of them and only got poor in their last year.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I remember the Dicky strip about Peter Davison throwing up in the Tardis, VWORP! VWORP! etc, I tried drawing it when I was in hospital with viral meningitis (name dropper) in the late 80's. Without much success I add.

That recent cartoon of Tom Baker was annoying because it made a joke out of something that isn't true (the "fact" that Tom Baker scuppered the Dark Dimension) which therefore implies that it is. It's a bit like me making a cartoon mocking Prime Minister David Cameron's foreign policy - if you didn't know, you'd assume David Cameron was PM.

Tim and Dicky did some greats. They once drew me a special Tom Baker postcard which I may or may not have sold on Ebay, I can't remember. I kind of hope not now because it was cute - I should have kept it.

Si.

I think Tim Quinn still lives in Shrewsbury. I don't actually know him, I'm just aware that he resides here.

I don't like the new cartoon strip - even the ones before the last one have been naff and unhumourous. Doctor Oho always used to baffle me (although I liked the title) and I always liked the artwork used by Nix. But, as I'm sure all right-minded people would agree, Quinn & Howett are still the daddy (er, daddies). I've got their Fun Books here somewhere.

I'd forgotten Nix View! I loved the one with the bemused traffic warden trying to work out how to clamp the Whomobile
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Nix View was ok- very cartonny, rather than the lovely caricaturing that Quinn and Howett did.
    I think half of the problem has been that they've never found anyone who's been as good as Quinn and Howett were at their best. Possibly the best stuff since then has been the cartoons Roger Langridge did for the reviews for a few years. He did some great work there.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.