Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which comedy failed your titter test?

Is there a comedy series which everyone else found hysterical, but which failed to amuse you?

I'd like to nominate "Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie". Really didn't get it. I know the two lead characters were MEANT to be grotesque, but I just didn't warm to this programme at all. They were just plain nasty to each other all the time, which I didn't find particularly amusing.

I'm sure many will disagree with me! What are your nominations?

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. I don't have a problem with sitcoms with essentially unlikable characters, indeed such an idea can work brilliantly on certain shows like Delocated or Ab Fab, but I found the two leads in Gimme Gimme Gimme just unbearable to watch, even though I've enjoyed them in other shows.

I have to admit to not being a fan of Steptoe and Son as well, I can see why others would, and admire the writing, but find the characters just too painful to view. Oh, and Birds of a Feather used to irritate me a lot, especially the later series where the writing became pretty lazy and formulaic.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I'm with you with Birds Of A Feather, but we're poles apart on Steptoe! Although sometimes the nastiness shown by Albert to Harold was a bit hard to stomach! But i guess that came from a fear of Albert being left on his own. There's classic stories to enjoy such as their game of scrabble where Albert uses only dirty words, and the one where they partition the living room in half, including the telly. I'm sure the writers of Corrie had this story in mind when conceiving the current daft storyline featuring Tracy & Steve.

I'm with Alex on Steptoe and Son - also Rising Damp. Ironically, Zel got me the complete boxset of that for Christmas, which I am dutifully working my way through, but alas I've yet to change my mind...

Also, The Office - I just could not bear to sit and watch Ricky Gervais in that.

Porridge. There, that's shocked you! I just don't get it at all. It's got a great cast and a great set up but I just don't like it.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

There's too many to mention here! I might be discerning or something. The only one I disagree with so far is Porridge, which I happen to think is an immensly charming, funny series.

So, let's roll up the old sleeves:
    Monty Python's Flying Circus (tv series) - love the films, the TV series is intermittenly amusing at best. I struggled through half of the box set last year.

The Inbetweeners - Gross and not funny! Hooray! It's probably not aimed at me, but comedy should just be funny, shouldn't it?

The Mighty Boosh - General dislike has grown to active detestation over time. I tuned in for the very first episode, but found the worst kind of sixth-form 'Hello I'm So Weeeeeeird and Zaaaaneey!!1!1!!!' humour. Noel Fielding is a capable performer and I kind of want to like him. But I really, really don't. (Except he was very good in The IT Crowd).
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Si Hart I am shocked.

Steptoe and Son I've warmed to, but yes it's got elements more of a tragedy than comedy.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Perhaps I need to see Porridge again.

I agree with all Mr McCow's choices, in particular I've always, always hated Monty Python (and most of their films too- Life of Brian is OK)

Only Fools And Horse and a great deal of Blackadder- they're just not geared to my sense of humour

Morecambe and Wise.

Maybe it's just because it's so over hyped but I do not see anything special in these two. I much prefer the Two Ronnies.

Ab Fab. Never got it. Open All Hours is mediocre. (Porridge, on the other hand, is amazing.)

I never got into The Thin Blue Line. Didn't find Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie funny.
    The Office had something but you have to sit through whole sections of crap to get there.
    The Vicar Of Dibley as well. It had some mad bits but not enough.
    And that Hugh Dennis family one as well. I'm going to have to leave this thread or I'll be here all night going "Oh yeah! And that one too!"

I'll make it easier with a list of comedies I actually liked, The Young Ones, Father Ted, Hippies (Really overlooked!) and there might be a few more I'll remember, but this is a thread about comedy you don't find funny so. That'll do for now.

Comedies/ sitcoms I've never found funny:

Are you being served ?
    Some Mother's do Have 'Em
    Hi-de-Hi
    The Office
    The Vicar of Dibley
    Absolutely Fabulous
    Birds of a Feather
    Miranda
    Outnumbered
    Seinfeld
    Thin Blue Line
    My Hero
    Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie
    The airport thing with David Walliams & Matt Lucas
    On the Buses
    George & Mildred
    Sorry ! (still shudder at the thought)
    Bottom
    Brittas Empire
    Citizen Smith
    Just Good Friends
    My Family
    dinnerladies
    Last of the Summer Wine

And so the list goes on...with this level of distaste I should probably be some kind of TV critic . Fortunately there's probably an equal sized list of ones I do like
    Bazinga !

Oh dear Jon - some of those are my all time faves! Still, at least we're agreed on Summer Wine!

I have to say I didn't see the appeal of Outnumbered from the episodes I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I have to say I didn't see the appeal of Outnumbered from the episodes I've seen.
    Likewise. I've never raised a smile when I've seen that show.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    Seinfeld
    Seinfeld was a show I truly disliked the first couple of times I saw it, and couldn't work out what all the fuss was about. But a few years later whilst at Uni it was on and something just clicked, and now I love it, indeed I'm rewatching them all at the moment and think there's so many classic episodes. But I can still understand why some might dislike it, as essentially the characters are pretty dislikeable a lot of the time.

Add me to the list of people who don't get what the fuss about Outnumbered is, I watched a couple of episodes as it was getting such good reviews, but I found the kids largely irritating and it only mildly amusing in general.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Yep add me to the Outnumbered pile too!

From Jon's list:

Are you being served ? - Agree, not funny
    Some Mother's do Have 'Em - Intermittently hilarious, probably liked it when I was younger.
    Hi-de-Hi - I used to sit down to watch this, then change the channel so I didn't have to see Doctor Who!
    The Office - Agree
    The Vicar of Dibley - Agree, watered down Sunday night comedy.
    Absolutely Fabulous - I love Absolutely Fabulous.
    Birds of a Feather - Probably OK, but I can't be bothered with it.
    Miranda - ARGH!
    Outnumbered - Add me to the 'dislike' list for this one!
    Seinfeld - Never seen, probably not my 'bag'.
    Thin Blue Line - I always thought this was OK.
    My Hero - Appalling!
    Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie - Ghastly!
    The airport thing with David Walliams & Matt Lucas - Truly, truly horrible, racist, sexist bilge.
    On the Buses - Same as above, only with a 70's sheen of tackiness.
    George & Mildred - not seen.
    Sorry ! (still shudder at the thought) - liked it at age 6.
    Bottom - Brilliant.
    Brittas Empire - Fantastic, but tacky.
    Citizen Smith - Not seen.
    Just Good Friends - Not heard of!
    My Family - Don't know.
    dinnerladies - Doesn't sound very good.
    Last of the Summer Wine - Dull, dull, dull....
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Friends (just don’t like it)
    The Cleveland Show (are we allowed to include animations? I can’t believe they gave this boring character his own show, should’ve been Mayor West or someone)
    The Royal Bodyguard (David Jason’s recent show, has that been renewed for a second series, hope not)
    Metal Mickey (whoever created this must have been on something)

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Perhaps I need to see Porridge again.
    I think partly simply because it's in a prison and so you don't see fashion, it's never really seemed to have dated. I think "A night in" is probably one of Britains best sitcom episodes ever.

But I think much like Steptoe, the comedy comes very much from the interaction between two characters. And it's in a prison, and it's a bit bleak at times.

I think though for Porridge, the cast is consistently faultless.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I guess some comedy can be real subjective. Ironically most of the comedy which appeals to the masses, often feels really weak - things like My Family, Last of the Summer Wine etc.

I always liked some of the edgier Channel 4-esque comedies which I found hysterical - Spaced, Father Ted, Big Train.

I do find dinnerladies and Miranda to be real gems of comedy.

I feel I need to balance myself by listing comedies I like:
    Red Dwarf
    Blackadder
    Frasier
    Cheers
    Big Bang Theory
    American Dad
    Cheers
    Dad’s Army
    ‘Allo ‘allo
    Fawlty Towers
    Two Ronnies
    Lead Balloon
    League of Gentlemen
    Psychoville
    Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?
    Yes Minister, Yes Prime Minister
    Married with Children
    Father Ted
    One Foot in the Grave
    Rab C Nesbitt
    The Good Life
    The Young Ones
    Scrubs
    Green wing
    Only When I Laugh
    Coupling
    Men Behaving Badly
    The New Statesman
    Reggie Perrin
    It Aint alf Hot Mum
    Porridge
    Drop the Dead Donkey
    Peep Show
    Rising Damp
    Police Squad
    Taxi
    Armstrong & Miller
    Mitchell & Webb
    Harry Enfield

And probably others
    Bazinga !

Although now I feel negative again and need to add one I'd wiped from my mind as to how much I hated it:

Keeping up Appearances - every singe copy should be collected and burnt in an enormous pyre to appease the 'missing DW epsiodes' gods.
    Bazinga !

I do a club thing at work where I show different comedy episodes each week. We tried Monty Python and it died on its arse. I think you had to be there.

Also I've not seen a huge amount, but I've never "Got" The Goodies. What's that all about?

Si.