View Poll Results: The Anachronauts - Timely Classic or Broken Clock?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/4 - Confine it to History

0 0%
  • 2/4 - Not even worth Purv-ing over

0 0%
  • 3/5 - To say it's bad would be a bit (Jean) Harsh

0 0%
  • 4/5 - Take It To Your Heart(nell)

0 0%

Default CC 6.7: The Anachronauts

It was a joy to hear Purves and Marsh acting alongside each other in this story - it's a very well written piece, in terms of description and incident. Each situation - and this is a play which jumps about from wartime Russia to a space phantom-haunted beach - is lovingly described and you really feel like you are there. Marsh in particular is wonderful, and there is a scene in Episode 4 which will break your heart. It's good how the suggestion of romance between Peter and Steven is made to hang in the air and toyed with.

This play is set just after "The Feast of Steven" and they even replay the famous last scene of that story.

As for the plot... I'm not telling. It's riddled with surprises so I don't want to ruin that for you.

But one key detail... Purves Hartnell impression is now considered so good that they've dropped the narrative "He said, she said" device and slip straight into three handed fully dramatised scenes between Purves' Steven, Marsh' Sara and Purves' the Doctor! It feels like a small detail, but it's oh so important. Now, we essentially have Purves PLAYING the First Doctor and bantering with himself as Steven. It feels a little odd at first, but it's amazing how soon you get used to it. They HAVE effectively recast the Doctor as Peter Purves! Amazing.

An ambitious, imaginative and enjoyable story. And one that keeps you guessing.

Si.

It sounds really good. I'll put it on the ever growing list of things I might get round to sometime!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.