View Poll Results: What's your favourite story in Season 19?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Castrovalva

3 21.43%
  • Four to Doomsday

0 0%
  • Kinda

3 21.43%
  • The Visitation

3 21.43%
  • Black Orchid

0 0%
  • Earthshock

5 35.71%
  • Time-Flight

0 0%

Default Your favourite story of Season 19

Well our few weeks looking back at Season 19 are drawing to a close, so it's time to sum up the season now.

What do you think of Season 19 as a whole? One of your favourites or not? Which story was your favourite and why?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Season 19 - the year of the time travelling youth hostel. On paper three companions really shouldn't work and a lot of the time it doesn't with one of them (often poor Nyssa) having to be got out the way or left behind in the TARDIS however there are still some great moments running right through the season from the new Doctor unravelling his scarf through the TARDIS corridors through the final surprise realisation that because of her tendency to wander off at the wrong moment the Doctor has left Tegan behind at Heathrow.

My overall favourite story which works brilliantly almost despite itself is Earthshock. All three companions and the Doctor get some great scenes before one of them has one of the most memorable exits in the series' history.

Not a hard one for me - I love Castrovalva, where as the rest of the season is a bit patchy, sadly.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

As much as I like Castrovalva, The Doctor spends much of it asleep. I've gone for Earthshock as it has the Cybermen and the death of a much maligned assistant.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

It's Castrovalva for me- one of the most imaginative Doctor Who stories ever. As I grow older this one appeals to me more and more.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Kinda for me, I like the allegorical content and the surrealism of Dukkah's mind games in Tegan's head.
    I'd place The Visitation in close second along with Earthshock.

In order of favouritenessitude:

Castrovalva - because I love it.
    Kinda - because it's the cool choice.
    Earthshock - because the first time you watch it, you know.
    The Visitation - because someone was re-writing their dialogue.
    Black Orchid - because the cricket scenes are nice.
    Four to Doomsday - because the sets are nice.
    Time-Flight - because you're worth it.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I really like Castrovalva, because it's fun and clever and has The Master in it (and lots of scenes in the TARDIS).
    However, I also really like Four to Doomsday (yes, I know I'm in a minority here) because I love the sets, and the recreationals and Bygon and lots of stuff!

But, which one is best?

There's only one way to find out....

FIGHT!!!!!!!

I can see, watching these stories again now, that they are a bit naff in places, that the TARDIS is too full, that too often the writers struggle to occupy the four regulars fully, that some of the acting is a bit dodgy, etc, etc, etc... But at the time, in 1982, it was just such an enjoyable run of stories that I just loved it.

One opinion that hasn't changed, though, is my favourite of the season, which is still Castrovalva. It's just so good in so many ways, that I just love it.

Kinda. It's the only story of the year that's really stood the test of time (cheap sets and an even cheaper snake notwithstanding).

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Southall View Post
    Kinda. It's the only story of the year that's really stood the test of time (cheap sets and an even cheaper snake notwithstanding).
    But the new cgi on the Kinda DVD looks amazing given the limitations of the original.

Kinda, but Earthshock, The Visitation and Black orchid are all up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    But the new cgi on the Kinda DVD looks amazing given the limitations of the original.
    Oh it does. I also think the rather overtly studio-bound nature of the set stands up a lot better than some other stories that tried to manage an authentic feel and fell rather short. Kinda never strives for authenticity, and that keys in to the mythical and metaphorical feel of the whole story.

It was between Kinda and The Visitation for me- but I went for The Visitation in the end as everyone gets something to do, and after the first five minutes, bitching gives way to good natured ribbing.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

If it's stood up apart from the sets and costumes it's...er... not really stood up has it?

Si.

Have we done a favourite season story poll for the previous seasons?

I’m going for The Visitation as it’s a jolly good romp and my overall favourite Peter Davison serial.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    If it's stood up apart from the sets and costumes it's...er... not really stood up has it?

Si.
    Kinda never strives for authenticity, and that keys in to the mythical and metaphorical feel of the whole story.