Default The Rihanna / Chris Brown Debate

Rihanna is probably the biggest pop star in the world right now, and certainly (given Lady Gaga's fall from grace and Beyonce's baby break and recent creative slip up) the most popular, possibly next to Adele and Katy Perry.

In 2009, Rihanna's then-boyfriend Chris Brown, also a huge R'n'B star, was charged with assault after battering her. A leaked photograph showed the extent of her injuries - she was visibly black and blue.

It's very rare for a star this big to be the victim in a domestic abuse case with another huge star. It's unique for that star not to suffer the punishment of a complete backlash and career collapse. But, unlikely as it was, and perhaps because he was SUCH an admired talent, Chris Brown fairly rapidly rebuilt his career. High profile musicians came to his support, based on his talent. It seemed, shakily, as if might be forgiven.

But now, something else is happening. Rumours are surfacing that Rihanna and Brown are back together and have been seen at the same social events. This week, they unveiled two new songs, on which each had worked with the other. The credit "Rihanna featuring Chris Brown" seems to suggest that on some level she has forgiven him. Whether or not a romantic reunion will follow remains to be seen.

There's a few issues here. Whether or not she is stupid for taking him back, it's been suggested that Rihanna is not being a very good role model in working with the man who beat her up. Is this a good impression to give her millions of fans? Or does everyone deserve a second chance? Perhaps Chris Brown has learned his lesson? Maybe he should be forgiven?

Here's what he did to her:

What do you think to all of this? Should she take him back? Or even work with him? Is it none of our business? Or is this sending out the wrong message from a huge global star who must have the hero worship of millions of young girls (and boys)?

Si.

Presumably the new songs are a result of being presented with some extremely attractive financial rewards.
    I don't like to seem cynical but sometimes the simplest explanation is often the correct one.
    As to whether this is sending out a negative message in the light of past events we can only hope that most fans will have short memories.

Actually no - they were posted free on filesharing sites as a thank you to fans on Rihanna's birthday. No financial reward on this at all!

More than that - I mean, this is not being used to launch anything. They arn't even new songs but two remixes on which each has sung a new verse on the others song. The publicity gained was minimal. These were more like fanclub freebies.

Si.

Mostly for sake of argument:
    It's because R'n'B (at least in some parts) promotes disgusting behaviour and male posturing. Most of it is fine, but there's still that 'I am a MAN' attitude that is at the core of it.

So there will be some of Chris Brown's fans who think that Rihanna merely got what she deserved and that it's OK to beat your woman.

It's the part of the genre that thinks that it's a man's right to sex up any woman he wants and that if she refuses, it's his right to hit her, or stab her, or shoot her. How else do you prove that you are the toughest, nastiest, manliest old b'stard on the block?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

That sort of works, although it would be more convincing if Brown was a hip hop star, as that genre is far more behind on equality issues. And it doesn't explain what Rihanna herself is playing at - she's an extremely empowered woman, so it's extra strange and dissapointing.

I fear she's done a Whitney/Amy and found her Devil that she can't resist.

Si.

It's questions that are probably too common - why does she go back to him when he beats her? Why doesn't she just leave him?

Anneke Wills didn't leave Michael Gough until she got thrown over a bannister, never mind all the other women he had on the side.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It's a cycle that, without wishing to be too crass or insenstive or offensive or anything, abused women can get themselves into. There's the remorse, the promise of change, things improve, then it happens again and again... it's easy to believe that someone you love will improve, and things will be better. It's not always easy to leave an abusive relationship. I've seen it with one of the women I work with.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.