Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

We've watched Episode 1 so far. There are worse stories, and the quality is excellent. The regulars are on good form. I'm trying to re-assess this from scratch, to work out what I really think of it.

I think the problem really is that, simply, it's the work of an inexperienced writer and we happen to have a lot of really shoddy actors as well. Maybe the director is failing to knit all this together? It's sub-standard, to be blunt. There should be tense glimpses of the Krotons all the way through, a claw reaching out here, a menacing shadow there. But largely all we get is dull people talking. It is at least a relief that the TARDIS crew don't get blamed for anything.

Si.

There shouldn't be glimpses of The Krotons because they don't form until part 2 when Zoe and the Doctor's high brains activate them! I've always thought that was quite clever!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I've not got to Part 2 yet Si! But whatever the reason, it does make for an episode short on excitement, in my opinion.

Si.

Episode 3 of "The Krotons" - has my life ever felt more desperate or hopeless?

But something weird has happened. Episode 3 is the best of the blooming lot! Everyone starts being really dynamic. The Gonds are attacking the Dynatrope from below! Vena (why is she not VenaGond?) has woken up and, steady now, is shaking her toussled head in preparation for her first line of the story, which she's gearing up for and may deliver soon. Selris' eyes have started twinkling. He's going to ruddy well draw the Krotons OUT OF THE MACHINE! Philip Madoc is back after his Episode 2 holiday. "It's not patriotism to lead your people into a war they cannot win!" utters someone, wisely. There's major head-spinning, cockey-voiced Kroton action aplenty. There's even a great cliffhanger-that-isn't, with the TARDIS seemingly blown up, but it's tossed away mid-episode. Troughton is wonderful. "The Krotons never allowed us to study chemistry". "Has it ever occurred to you to wonder why?". A great episode.

Mr Rayner has them sussed though. "It's only 20 minutes! No wonder it's pacey if they've hacked five minutes out of it!". Ah. Maybe they should do this with every episode?

Si.

For goodness' sake don't start on that again!

Debbie Watling certainly strikes an "unusual" figure on the Second Time Around Documentary. I don't want to be cruel, but it's like someone has wired her jaws together.

Si.

I still don't get why anyone likes this story. I honestly think it's one of the all time worst. I know the regulars are good but that's not enough when the rest of it is so boring. None of the guest cast are memorable, it looks drab, David Maloney does his usual mixing videotape and film within the same scenes and it's just dreary beyond belief. I think The Space Pirates seems better than this and I much prefer The Dominators. At least that has explosions in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Debbie Watling certainly strikes an "unusual" figure on the Second Time Around Documentary. I don't want to be cruel, but it's like someone has wired her jaws together.
    I actually came into this thread to say how much I enjoyed the Second Time Around doc, but I did wonder about Debs - she looked like she'd just come from having botox, as her face just didn't move, beyond her lips! Quite bizarre!

Beyond that, I thought it was a fantastic retrospective, and I'm glad that they managed to get all the still-living key players from the era interviewed and included!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    I think The Space Pirates seems better than this and I much prefer The Dominators.
    Get well soon...