Default Richard Carpenter RIP

Just seen this sad tweet from Anthony Horowitz:

Just heard that Richard Carpenter, creator of Robin of Sherwood, died yesterday. He was a genius and a lovely man. Very sad.
    Richard was a wonderful writer- creating many iconic TV shows down the years- Catweazle, Dick Turpin, Dark Towers, The Boy From Space... but standing over them all, the definitive (for me anyway) retelling of the old myth of Robin Hood, Robin of Sherwood.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'll always remember The Ghosts of Motley Hall. That fired my imagination so much as a kid. Thank you Richard.

He brought a lot of richness to our TV screens and re-invented the Robin Hood legend. Brilliant man. RIP
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Don't mean this in a horrible way, but I've never heard of THIS Richard Carpenter, and thought that the musician (brother of Karen) had died.

So I'm quite relieved!

Si.

He began his career as an actor.

Carpenter wrote many programmes from my childhood including The Winjin' Pom, The Borrowers and Stanley's Dragon.

Rest In Peace

I must admit I have never been able to 'get' Robin of Sherwood, and really don't like it. But The Ghosts of Motley Hall, which I have lovely vague memories of as a very small kid, was a favourite - and especially, Richard Carpenter's wonderful Dick Turpin series. It was such a fun show (at least from memory) and even to this day my brother occasionally yells out (in the manner of the head villain yelling at his sidekick) "Striker!!!"

RIP

Very sad news - a legend of children's television, and although I've not seen any of his output for more than twenty years, I have fond memories of Robin of Sherwood, Dick Turpin, and even the odd repeat of Catweazle. Rest in peace, Richard.

Gloriana! Just had a lovely warm, nostalgic half hour watching The Ghosts of Motley Hall! Ah that theme music, and the end title sequence as the Hall reverts back to its glory years.

The characters are really well rounded, from Sir George (Freddie Jones) who looks like he's going to burst a blood vessel every time he speaks, to the dotty White Lady (the marvellous Sheila Steafel) who can't remember anything about her earthly existence at Motley Hall. Oh and then there's Fanny (Nicholas Le Provost) - surely a distant relative of Tim Nice But Dim! They all have their foibles and unique ways of appearing & disappearing.

I liked the programme's clever way of how they used musical instruments for sound effects instead of electronic noises.

Yes there's lots of fuzzy CSO etc, but the characters & stories make this a joy to watch! I may have to watch more. Fishooks!

Oh no - he really did something quite amazing with the legend of Robin Hood, which we'd all kind of got used to, and portray it in Robin Of Sherwood as something that still feels surprisingly fresh today.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Default Motley Hall

Whilst I'm still feeling the love for Motley Hall.....

This is a really good website about the programme, and it includes a fascinating article about the great man himself - Richard Carpenter. I didn't realise he'd written the 2 Look and Read classics "Cloudburst" and "The King's Dragon". Wow that man played an integral part in my TV upbringing!!

Anyway, enjoy!

http://www.livefrommars.co.uk/ghosts_of_motley_hall.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Don't mean this in a horrible way, but I've never heard of THIS Richard Carpenter, and thought that the musician (brother of Karen) had died.So I'm quite relieved!

Si.
    Me too! Although I have heard of him

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    Whilst I'm still feeling the love for Motley Hall.....

This is a really good website about the programme, and it includes a fascinating article about the great man himself - Richard Carpenter. I didn't realise he'd written the 2 Look and Read classics "Cloudburst" and "The King's Dragon". Wow that man played an integral part in my TV upbringing!!

Anyway, enjoy!

http://www.livefrommars.co.uk/ghosts_of_motley_hall.htm
    Just watched the first episode on YouTube - had completely forgotton about it (apart from the name) but took me right back !
    Bazinga !

It's a shame that clearance problems have affected the release of the Catweasle DVDs. Youngsters today deserve to jion in the fun.

It hasn't! We've got 'em and there was a new edition two years ago for the 40th anniversary...

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Catweasle is one of those (many!) progs I've not watched, but which I feel I need to. Don't worry, it's on the list (growing longer by the minute!)

I can remember seeing a couple of episodes repeated in the 80s when I was very young but would love to see the whole series sometime.
    Also I've never seen the RoS third season with Sean's Son in.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    It hasn't! We've got 'em and there was a new edition two years ago for the 40th anniversary...
    Really?! Nobody tells me nuffink!

1976 was a very spooky time for Children's TV as all these were broadcast for the first time:-

The Ghosts of Motley Hall
    Rentaghost
    Nobody's House

SURELY someone remembers the last one apart from me? The complete first ep is on YouTube if you want to sneak a peek!