Wayne Guest

Default The Ring. (contains spoilers)

A couple of weeks or so back, i'd only vaugely heard of 'The Ring'. I had no idea about the american remakes, I thought it was a cult japanese horror film, & that's what i was expecting when out of curiosity, i tuned in to watch 'The Ring' on tv recently.
    I tend to be a fan of older, more fantasy based horror films. Unimaginitive gore fests that rely on visual shocks, leave me cold. I prefer something with a more psychological slant, so not knowing what to expect from 'The Ring', i was delighted to find that i really enjoyed it. I thought Naomi Watts did a great job in the lead role as Rachel, & the film was definitely psychological & very imaginitive.
    At first i thought that the idea of people dying because they watched a cursed videotape sounded a bit corny, but on viewing the video tape through Rachel's eyes, with it's weird, dreamlike imagery, i began to get intrigued with the film. Things really get going as Rachel starts trying to put all the pieces of the puzzle together. The scene on the boat where the horse goes mad, culminated in a truly shocking moment when the horse goes overboard. Perhaps slightly gratuitous even, but nevertheless it underscored the disturbing direction in which the film was going.
    Eventually, the mystery of Samara is gradually uncovered in the scenes at the well. The bit where Rachel is suddenly 'thrown' down the well was a heartstopper, & suddenly she's down there in the darkness & the black water where she finds Samara's remains.....
    I always half expect a trick ending with these films, but after Samara's skeleton is brought up from the well, i was fairly sure that the curse was broken after Rachel survived the 7th day, & things seemed to calm down. So when the scene where the tv switches itself on at the end, i thought was just going to finish on a little moment of doubt thrown to the viewer as is often the case, & leaving a thread for a sequel, so what happened next took me totally by surprise! The scene where Samara gradually makes her way out of the well & towards the tv screen from the 'inside', & then crawls out of the tv to claim her victim was a cracking scene, & as the film ends Rachel realizes that the ring can't be broken & has to continue......

A quick word on the american sequel: 'Ring 2'.
    After i realized there was a sequel, i was itching to see it, despite someone saying it received poor reviews, so i got the box set of the 2 films.
    Actually, i thought it was pretty damn good! Ok, not quite the impact of the first one, but then few sequels manage that. The scenes at the end where Samara is crawling spider-like up the inside of the well sent a shiver down my spine. Brrrr.......
    Another good performance from Naomi Watts, Matched only by the young lad who played her son, who was very good indeed for a child actor.
    The extras had some tantalizing snippets from the original japanese 'Ringu' films, which whetted my appetite for giving them a go, especially after the glowing recommendations on here!

So today i watched the original japanese Ring Trilogy, & enjoyed all 3 films!
    Obviously the first one is the most powerful, but i even thought that the prequel 'Ring 0', which is supposed to be crap according to Alex, was good.
    In fairness to the japanese films, i really do need to watch them again pretty soon (& will enjoy doing so!) because there's quite a few differences to the american version, & there's a lot to take in. But the first one was especially impressive. I admit that i was a little dubious, in spite of the glowing recommendations, because of a slight pre-conceived bias, based on the fact that the few japanese films that i'd seen before had largely been trashy. But then they were old Godzilla films after all, so...
    But my doubts were soon quashed. A few minutes into the first one i was sufficiently impressed by both the acting, & the overall quality, to realize that these films were going to be worth watching. I'm told they were made very cheaply, but that's not in evidence by the way they look. Although they have been re-mastered.
    There were a couple bits that i thought weren't quite as effective as the american version. The main one that springs to mind is the actual video tape sequence itself. Not that it's poor, but the american one is slightly longer & a bit more surreal, i think.
    However, there are also some bits that are better than the american film, IMO. Particularly one of the most important scenes in the film, near the end when Sadako climbs out of the tv to claim her victim, (as described in Samara's scene in the american version earlier). This version is a bit longer & even more hair raising than the Samara version, as Sadako, her body bent & broken, works her way slowly & inexorably towards her victim, her broken bones cracking & a single wide eye staring wildly out from beneath her overgrown hair which almost covers her whole face & chest, giving the appearance of her head being back to front.... Awesome & downright freaky scene with brilliant sound effects/music throughout.
    I really do the think that both versions are excellent in different ways, & i think that some of the comments made about the remake are rather harsh. I personally am finding it very difficult at the moment to choose which version i enjoyed the most!

A brief word on the 2 japanese sequels.
    I thought that the japanese Ring 2 was better overall than the american remake. In the remake there seems to be a lot more emphasis on Rachel's son, whereas the japanese version, although the possession of the boy is part of the story, there seems to be a lot more focus on Sadako, & what happened to her, & also there were a couple things about the amirican version that left me slightly puzzled, whereas the japanese one seemed to make more sense. But i need to watch these again soon; As i say, there's a lot to take in.
    Finally, the prequel movie: 'Ring 0'.
    Admittedly, this is a notch down from it's predecessors, but i still thought it was a good, enjoyable film. I liked the fact that we got to see something of Sadako's origins, & i thought the film had some great scenes, particularly when she was re-living her mother's experiences, & the stuff where she's killing the people in the woods.
    So there we are then. My 2nd attempt at writing this tonight after i lost the whole post earlier.
    For me, 'The Ring' is the best horror phenomenon since 'The Excorcist' & possibly 'The Omen'. Brilliant stuff! Love it!

I tend to be a fan of older, more fantasy based horror films. Unimaginitive gore fests that rely on visual shocks, leave me cold. I prefer something with a more psychological slant, so not knowing what to expect from 'The Ring', i was delighted to find that i really enjoyed it. I thought Naomi Watts did a great job in the lead role as Rachel, & the film was definitely psychological & very imaginitive.
    I do my like my gore films to be honest, but in a fun silly way (Peter Jackson's Braindead is my favourite of the genre, just because of the amount of gore on display) but of late I do tend to go towards the more psychological horror film, especially if it's as well made as The Ring.

I can't comment too much on the US one as I'm such a fan of the original and feel it doesn't quite capture the genuinely disturbing feel of the Japanese version, and a lot of the impact of seeing something for the first time is lost (unless of course you watch them in the order you did Wayne!). But then that's probably true of most remakes, however good they are, and I do have to say that thinking about it, this was easily one of the better ones, keeping a lot of the same elements.

Obviously the first one is the most powerful, but i even thought that the prequel 'Ring 0', which is supposed to be crap according to Alex, was good.
    I think my problem with 0 is that it gives too much of the game away, and explains too much, where I preferred it when there were elements that we just didn't understand...

But my doubts were soon quashed. A few minutes into the first one i was sufficiently impressed by both the acting, & the overall quality, to realize that these films were going to be worth watching. I'm told they were made very cheaply, but that's not in evidence by the way they look. Although they have been re-mastered.
    I didn't realise that they were made cheaply to be honest, tis interesting that! I think what grabbed me by the first film is just after the scene where they've watched the video, and we don't know quite what's happened to them, but you see the look of abject terror on the victims face, I was chilled to the bone, and immediately hooked by the film! Personally I prefer that to the more horrifyingly scarred look on the victim's face in the US one, but that's just a personal preference, obviously.

There were a couple bits that i thought weren't quite as effective as the american version. The main one that springs to mind is the actual video tape sequence itself. Not that it's poor, but the american one is slightly longer & a bit more surreal, i think.
    I think this is the only bit where we're going to have to agree to disagree! I love the video tape sequence in the Japanese version so much more! There's just something horribly creepy about it, especially how Sadako looks in it.

However, there are also some bits that are better than the american film, IMO. Particularly one of the most important scenes in the film, near the end when Sadako climbs out of the tv to claim her victim, (as described in Samara's scene in the american version earlier). This version is a bit longer & even more hair raising than the Samara version, as Sadako, her body bent & broken, works her way slowly & inexorably towards her victim, her broken bones cracking & a single wide eye staring wildly out from beneath her overgrown hair which almost covers her whole face & chest, giving the appearance of her head being back to front.... Awesome & downright freaky scene with brilliant sound effects/music throughout.
    I so can't argue with that though! It's just really horrible, like you say the brilliant sound effects make it even more disturbing, and the movement of the body is just superbly well done.

One thing that I really love about the Japanese version over the US is the ending, I know they're both going down the same route, but in Ringu when you actually see her going to her father's house to make him watch the video, it really chilling. (I know I'm using the word chilling way too much btw, I just can't think of another way to put it!)

I really do the think that both versions are excellent in different ways, & i think that some of the comments made about the remake are rather harsh. I personally am finding it very difficult at the moment to choose which version i enjoyed the most!
    To be honest that's probably more of a personal thing, as I'm normally against remakes of foreign films, thinking if that the film exists, even if in a different language, there's no need to remake it. But then I know some people just don't like subtitles, and I can understand that, it took me a while to stop 'reading' a film with them in when I first got all film buff-y at about 17, but nowadays I honestly don't notice them...

I thought that the japanese Ring 2 was better overall than the american remake. In the remake there seems to be a lot more emphasis on Rachel's son, whereas the japanese version, although the possession of the boy is part of the story, there seems to be a lot more focus on Sadako, & what happened to her, & also there were a couple things about the amirican version that left me slightly puzzled, whereas the japanese one seemed to make more sense. But i need to watch these again soon; As i say, there's a lot to take in.
    Ah, I haven't seen the US version of Ring 2, so can't comment, but have to agree with you that the japanese version is a pretty damn great sequel, if not quite reaching the heights of the original.

Admittedly, this is a notch down from it's predecessors, but i still thought it was a good, enjoyable film. I liked the fact that we got to see something of Sadako's origins, & i thought the film had some great scenes, particularly when she was re-living her mother's experiences, & the stuff where she's killing the people in the woods.
    I guess my issue you with it is, as I sort of mentioned before, is that it just reveals too much about Sadako, I preferred it when we knew the traumatic background, but this is just a bit too much explanation. But I think I'll give it another go sometime soon, I watched all three very close together and may just have been disappointed that it wasn't as good as the others.

So there we are then. My 2nd attempt at writing this tonight after i lost the whole post earlier.
    Aw, I know how much that sucks, but I'm glad you did it, the films are easily some of my all time favourites, and it's great to chat about them.

For me, 'The Ring' is the best horror phenomenon since 'The Excorcist' & possibly 'The Omen'. Brilliant stuff! Love it!
    Agreed!
    And just as a slight recommendation as you liked Ringu so much, I'd suggest checking out The Eye. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325655/ It's also damn scary, but at the same time work on a fascinating psychological level, and I really like it. A remake's on the way too, and it's listed for 2007 on imdb, but I've no idea when it'll be out.
    Last edited by Alex; 18th Feb 2007 at 1:18 PM. Reason: I can't spell chilling!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Wayne Guest

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, Alex.
    I'll come back to you on some of your points later.

I bought the Japanese version of The Ring after liking the look of the cover in HMV without realising it was in Japanese with subtitles! I was a bit distraught when I realised but I watched it anyway and thought it was brilliant, very unsettling. But my tastes are unashamedly mainstream so I do prefer the US version now. I didn't think much to the sequel though.

I echo Alex's comments about "The Eye". Even better than Ringu! Very, very scary!

I shall post my thoughts later today, when I'm back from my lecture

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Dave Lewis Guest

For pure, oh-shit-let's-put-Clue-on-to-alleviate-the-horror-that-remains-even-though-the-film-is-over, fear, I recommend the original version of The Grudge. The scariest film I've ever seen!

I've seen the first one & I'm watching the second one now on Sky movies 9. Having not seen any of the originals I don't have any comparison. I really liked the first one & the second (albeit not as good as the first) is good.
    The ending is very surreal & generally leaves it open with no definite end.

There could always be another tape copy somewhere else & someone could 'open' the well again by watching said tape.

If the Japanese originals are better then they must be brilliant but I'm not likely to find out as I don't buy horror DVD's as I never really watch them repeatedly (aside from classic Dracula that is).

These are good films & are not really scary but are more likely to give nightmares than say Basket Case.

I'd rate Ring as 8.5/10 & Ring 2 as 8/10.

P.S, I agree with Dave, The Grudge is better for a good scare.
    Last edited by Dirk Gently; 19th Feb 2007 at 4:21 PM. Reason: To add P.S.

If the Japanese originals are better then they must be brilliant but I'm not likely to find out as I don't buy horror DVD's as I never really watch them repeatedly
    I know what you mean on that front, apart from the comedy horror films I really love (early Peter Jackson, Shaun of the Dead etc), I tend never to watch a horror film twice, I guess more than most the depend on the shock factor, and when you know somethings definitely coming it can loose it's impact.

C4 have shown Ringu a couple of times though, and hopefully will again, if it ever is on terrestrial tv again I'd definitely recommend catching it.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Thanks for your comprehensive reply, Alex.
    I'll come back to you on some of your points later.
    Quite a lot later!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I can't comment too much on the US one as I'm such a fan of the original and feel it doesn't quite capture the genuinely disturbing feel of the Japanese version, and a lot of the impact of seeing something for the first time is lost (unless of course you watch them in the order you did Wayne!). But then that's probably true of most remakes, however good they are, and I do have to say that thinking about it, this was easily one of the better ones, keeping a lot of the same elements.
    Fair comment. If i'd seen the original first then my experience might've been similar to yours. It's hard to say.

I didn't realise that they were made cheaply to be honest, tis interesting that!
    Maybe i misunderstood your comment from elsewhere, then?

Hey! I'm really glad you liked the first (especially considering the cost and everything), and can't wait for the thread.
    Although i'm sure i've read or it's been mentioned by someone that Ringu was made on a low budget.

I think what grabbed me by the first film is just after the scene where they've watched the video, and we don't know quite what's happened to them, but you see the look of abject terror on the victims face, I was chilled to the bone, and immediately hooked by the film! Personally I prefer that to the more horrifyingly scarred look on the victim's face in the US one, but that's just a personal preference, obviously.
    Hmmm...... I'm 50/50 on this one. I think the remake version looks really effective, but i'd agree the original version did it very well, if differently. All i can say again, is that i like both.

I think this is the only bit where we're going to have to agree to disagree! I love the video tape sequence in the Japanese version so much more! There's just something horribly creepy about it, especially how Sadako looks in it.
    This was about the only think that mildly disappointed me. It's good, but seemed so brief compared to remake version which i thought was more surreal & haunting, especially the bit of Sarah Morgan just falling off the cliff.....

To be honest that's probably more of a personal thing, as I'm normally against remakes of foreign films, thinking if that the film exists, even if in a different language, there's no need to remake it. But then I know some people just don't like subtitles, and I can understand that, it took me a while to stop 'reading' a film with them in when I first got all film buff-y at about 17, but nowadays I honestly don't notice them...
    Wow! How do you know what they're saying then? Is it just a case of re-watching many times?

I guess my issue you with it is, as I sort of mentioned before, is that it just reveals too much about Sadako, I preferred it when we knew the traumatic background, but this is just a bit too much explanation. But I think I'll give it another go sometime soon, I watched all three very close together and may just have been disappointed that it wasn't as good as the others.
    Overall, i'd agree that it's best left with a sense of mystery, & the third sequel is definitely the weakest, but i suppose i just quite enjoyed it, & didn't think it did any harm to the Sadako 'legend'.

And just as a slight recommendation as you liked Ringu so much, I'd suggest checking out The Eye. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325655/ It's also damn scary, but at the same time work on a fascinating psychological level, and I really like it. A remake's on the way too, and it's listed for 2007 on imdb, but I've no idea when it'll be out
    Ok, i've been looking at 'The Eye', & as a standalone film, it's going fairly cheap at 6.89, but i see there's also 'The Eye Trilogy' box set. What are the sequels like?
    Meanwhile, i had a quick look at 'The Grudge' as well, & there seems to be both japanese & american versions as with 'The Ring'. And also a sequel: 'Grude 2'.
    Can anyone elaborate a bit re. these 'Grudge' films?
    Last edited by Wayne; 20th Feb 2007 at 6:09 PM.

Maybe i misunderstood your comment from elsewhere, then?
    Although i'm sure i've read or it's been mentioned by someone that Ringu was made on a low budget.
    Ah, no, I meant the cost to you for buying them just based on my recommendation, I'd have felt terribly guilty if you hadn't liked them!

Wow! How do you know what they're saying then? Is it just a case of re-watching many times?
    Well I do still read the subtitles, but in the beginning I found myself reading just them, and not watching the visuals too much, whereas now I watch the visuals and don't notice I'm reading the subtitles, even though I am.

Erm, that didn't make much sense did it. But hopefully you get what I mean.

Ok, i've been looking at 'The Eye', & as a standalone film, it's going fairly cheap at 6.89, but i see there's also 'The Eye Trilogy' box set. What are the sequels like?
    Meanwhile, i had a quick look at 'The Grudge' as well, & there seems to be both japanese & american versions as with 'The Ring'. And also a sequel: 'Grude 2'.
    Can anyone elaborate a bit re. these 'Grudge' films?
    I've only ever seen the first Eye film, I didn't actually know there were sequels to be honest, I've just added The Eye 2 to my dvd rental list on lovefilm (they don't have the third alas), so as soon as I see it, I'll let you know.

I've seen the remake of The Grudge with Sarah Michelle Gellar, and it's pretty fun, it's a bit lacking in depth but there are plenty of jumpy bits to keep you on edge throughout.
    Last edited by Alex; 20th Feb 2007 at 6:44 PM.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Wayne Guest

Well I do still read the subtitles, but in the beginning I found myself reading just them, and not watching the visuals too much, whereas now I watch the visuals and don't notice I'm reading the subtitles, even though I am.

Erm, that didn't make much sense did it. But hopefully you get what I mean.
    Actually, it did make sense! I undersand what you mean now!

I've only ever seen the first Eye film, I didn't actually know there were sequels to be honest, I've just added The Eye 2 to my dvd rental list on lovefilm (they don't have the third alas), so as soon as I see it, I'll let you know.

I've seen the remake of The Grudge with Sarah Michelle Gellar, and it's pretty fun, it's a bit lacking in depth but there are plenty of jumpy bits to keep you on edge throughout.
    Right. Well, 'The Eye Trilogy' isn't particularly cheap at present, so i might just get the first one for now.
    The various versions of the 'The Grudge' seem reasonably cheap, so i think i'll get the lot. (Especially seeing as there's the bonus of SMG being in there) Don't feel guilty if i don't like them. That's what eBay's for.

Wayne Guest

Right. Well, 'The Eye Trilogy' isn't particularly cheap at present, so i might just get the first one for now.
    The various versions of the 'The Grudge' seem reasonably cheap, so i think i'll get the lot. (Especially seeing as there's the bonus of SMG being in there) Don't feel guilty if i don't like them. That's what eBay's for.
    I've just had a big splurge on Play/Sendit for various films mentioned in this thread & in relation to 'The Ring'!
    It worked out cheaper the buy 'The Eye' films separately. The cheapest price of the box set was 28.49, but buying them seperately only cost me 21.77.
    So i got:

The Eye: 6.89
    The Eye 2: 6.89
    The Eye Infinity: 7.99
    The Grudge: 4.39
    The Grudge 2: 7.99
    The Grudge: Extended/Directors Cut (remake): 7.89
    Dark Water: 6.89
    Dark Water (remake): 5.89

8 films for 54.82 + i got 39 ipoints from Sendit. Not too bad. Good job i've got 3 gigs this coming weekend! :wayne
    Last edited by Wayne; 21st Feb 2007 at 3:04 AM.

I've just had a big splurge on Play/Sendit for various films mentioned in this thread & in relation to 'The Ring'!
    It worked out cheaper the buy 'The Eye' films separately. The cheapest price of the box set was 28.49, but buying them seperately only cost me 21.77.
    So i got:

The Eye: 6.89
    The Eye 2: 6.89
    The Eye Infinity: 7.99
    The Grudge: 4.39
    The Grudge 2: 7.99
    The Grudge: Extended/Directors Cut (remake): 7.89
    Dark Water: 6.89
    Dark Water (remake): 5.89

8 films for 54.82 + i got 39 ipoints from Sendit. Not too bad. Good job i've got 3 gigs this coming weekend! :wayne
    That's a pretty damn good deal!

Btw, I would've suggested The Happiness of the Katakuris - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0304262/, but it's a musical horror film, and I know you're not in to musicals! It's one seriously deranged film though, if you ever get the chance to see it for free I'd definitely recommend giving it a go.

Btw, have you seen Battle Royale? It's less a pyschological horror than a really ****ed up fight fest, but it is a classic and much loved.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Wayne Guest

That's a pretty damn good deal!

Btw, I would've suggested The Happiness of the Katakuris - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0304262/, but it's a musical horror film, and I know you're not in to musicals! It's one seriously deranged film though, if you ever get the chance to see it for free I'd definitely recommend giving it a go.

Btw, have you seen Battle Royale? It's less a pyschological horror than a really ****ed up fight fest, but it is a classic and much loved.
    You won't be happy 'til i'm skint!

I think i've spent enough for the time being, & i'm not sure those would completely my bag. Mind you, if all your recommendations turn out to be as good as Ringu, then Yay!

I look forward to seeing what you think of The Eye!

I never knew there was a sequel either...will have to check it out!
    Last edited by Matthew T; 21st Feb 2007 at 12:19 PM.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    I look forward to seeing what you think of The Eye!

I never knew there was a sequel either...will have to check it out!
    2 sequels in fact.
    What i watch first depends on what arrives first. 3 of the above list were out of stock, But since they nearly all had an rrp of 19.99, i ordered anyway.
    First off the mark are Play.com with the 'Dark Water' remake which was posted this morning.

may I also suggest getting Battle Royale? It may not necessarily be a "horror" film, but it's a damn good Japanese thriller.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

You won't be happy 'til i'm skint!

I think i've spent enough for the time being, & i'm not sure those would completely my bag. Mind you, if all your recommendations turn out to be as good as Ringu, then Yay!
    Well I'm definitely sticking by my recommendation of The Eye. Though seeing a rat scuttle through the cinema whilst watching it might have upped my 'slightly nervous' feeling.

With Happiness of the Katakuri's, I'd definitely recommend only watching it if it's on tv, it's just mad, but due to the musical element, I don't think it'd be your cup of tea...

Battle Royale's brilliant though, but repeated on tv every so often, so hopefully it won't be long before you can see it for free!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Wayne Guest

Well I'm definitely sticking by my recommendation of The Eye. Though seeing a rat scuttle through the cinema whilst watching it might have upped my 'slightly nervous' feeling.

With Happiness of the Katakuri's, I'd definitely recommend only watching it if it's on tv, it's just mad, but due to the musical element, I don't think it'd be your cup of tea...

Battle Royale's brilliant though, but repeated on tv every so often, so hopefully it won't be long before you can see it for free!
    Yes i think i'll wait until those 2 are on tv, but i'm happy enough with what i've already ordered.

Battle Royale has been cropping up a few times on Film 4 lately. It's always on late - usually around midnight - and I can never be bothered setting up the recorder. Keep your eyes peeled on their schedules!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Williams View Post
    I shall post my thoughts later today, when I'm back from my lecture

Ant x
    I vaguely remember you had a thread on the old forum? I looked for it, but it must've fallen of the edge.
    Which camp are you in then, Ant? Japanese or American?
    Or do you like both?
    Last edited by Wayne; 21st Feb 2007 at 9:05 PM.

I watched the american version of "The Ring" thanks to a friend and I must say it is certainly was entertaining and watching the video on the extras seemed a bit freaky, glad no one called after I watched it!

I think my expectations were higher of this movie and the impact of the girl coming out of the TV was spoiled by the media as they gave it a lot of publicity in the last few years so that even before you knew what the film was the element of surprise when you finally saw it would be gone

Having said that I still liked it and the performance of the lead actor Naomi Watts is very good. I'll be giving the sequel Ring 2 a look shortly.

I watched the US The Ring 2 this afternoon, and thoroughly enjoyed, thanks so much for sending it to me Wayne.

I thought it added a lot to the series of films in general, and most importantly had a great selection of genuinely unsettling moments.

I won't talk about it too much till Ralph's seen it though, so not to spoil it for him. But maybe this pic might entice him to see it a bit sooner than planned.

Mmmmm. She's lovely. Which reminds me, I've really got to see Mullholland Drive again soon.

Oh, and just one other thing, have you got freeview Wayne? If not I'll keep an eye out for Battle Royale in the schedules, and video it for you when it's on (if you've a video still that is. I know most people still do, but I've now two friends who don't anymore!)
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Wayne Guest

Hi Ralph,
    I'm glad you enjoyed 'The Ring', though i'm sorry the ending was spoiled for you. I can imagine that would take quite a lot away from the viewing experience, because it surprised the hell outta me when i watched it. I totally wasn't expecting it!

I watched the US The Ring 2 this afternoon, and thoroughly enjoyed, thanks so much for sending it to me Wayne.

I thought it added a lot to the series of films in general, and most importantly had a great selection of genuinely unsettling moments.

Oh, and just one other thing, have you got freeview Wayne? If not I'll keep an eye out for Battle Royale in the schedules, and video it for you when it's on (if you've a video still that is. I know most people still do, but I've now two friends who don't anymore!)
    Hi Alex,
    You're welcome, & i'm quite surprised that you seemed to enjoy it quite a lot, given your love of the japanese originals.

Yes, i have Freeview. I'll try to keep an eye out for 'Battle Royale', but if you spot that it's on, gimme a heads up.