In 1966 the most popular radio programme was Alan Freeman's Pick of the Pops, with the BBC's dire scheduling of pop records, apart from the pirate radio stations like Radio Caroline, this was the only show that played popular, youth orientated sounds.
So, with the UK swinging, and the sounds groovy, we take a look at what was popular amongst teenagers in 1966 and '67.

Top 30 10th September 1966.

30 Chris Farlowe Out Of Time
29 Frank Sinatra Strangers in the Night
28 Zoot Money and the Big Roll Band Big Time Operator
27 Jnr. Walker and the Allstars How Sweet It Is
26 Bob Dylan I Want You
25 Temptations Ain't Too Proud To Beg
24 Robert Parker Barefootin'
23 Spencer Davis Group When I Come Home
22 Mindbenders Ashes To Ashes
21 Four Tops Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever
20 The Who I'm A Boy
19 Los Bravos Black is Black
18 Chris Montez The More I See You
17 Lovin' Spoonful Summer in The City
16 Ken Dodd More Than Love
15 Cliff Bennet and the Rebel Rousers Got To get You Into My Life
14 Alan Price Set Hi-Lilli-Hi-Lo
13 Mamas and the Papas I Saw Her Again
12 Cliff Richard Visions
11 Manfredd Mann Just Like A Woman
10 Lee Dorsey Working In The Coalmine
9 The Troggs With A Girl Like You
8 Dave Berry Mama
7 David and Jonathan Lovers Of The World Unite
6 Jim Reeves Distant Drums
5 Roy Orbison Too Soon To Know
4 Napoleon XIV They're Coming To take Me Away Ha-Haa
3 Beach Boys God Only Knows
2 Smal Faces All Or Nothing
1 The Beatles Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby

David and Jonathan was the name used by the British pop music duo Roger Greenaway and Roger Cook.

They began working together in 1965 in Bristol, England, and wrote the songs "This Golden Ring" and "You've Got Your Troubles" for the group The Fortunes. They teamed with George Martin to do a cover of The Beatles' "Michelle", which was a hit single in 1966 in both the UK (#11 UK Singles Chart) and the U.S. Their UK hit "Lovers of the World Unite" reached number 7
As David and Jonathan, they also sang the theme song, "Modesty Blaise", composed by Johnny Dankworth, for the spy spoof film Modesty Blaise, starring Monica Vitti, Terence Stamp and Dirk Bogarde.

The two continued to write songs both alone and together, which were used by artists such as Blue Mink, The Hollies, Engelbert Humperdinck and Whistling Jack Smith amongst others.

"They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!" is a novelty record by Jerry Samuels, recorded under the name Napoleon XIV. Released on Warner Bros. Records, the song became an instant success in the United States, peaking at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 popular music singles chart on 13 August and reaching #4 on the UK Singles Chart.

In the song, the story is told in the first-person by an insane dog owner who is raving he will be taken away to a mental institution, referring to it as the "funny farm" and "happy home". His dog has run away and he is having an imaginary discussion with it ("Well you just wait, they'll find you yet, and when they do they'll put you in the ASPCA, you mangy mutt"). The cover art shows a spoof "Napoleon" holding an invisible dog on a leash, the collar being next to a fire hydrant (presumably so the dog can relieve itself).

"Yellow Submarine", written by Paul McCartney (credited to Lennon–McCartney), with lead vocals by Ringo Starr,was included on the Revolver album and issued as a single, coupled with "Eleanor Rigby". The single went to number 1 on every major British chart, remained at number 1 for four weeks and charted for 13 weeks. It won an Ivor Novello Award "for the highest certified sales of any single issued in the UK in 1966".

It became the title song of the 1968 animated United Artists film, also called Yellow Submarine, and the soundtrack album to the film, released as part of The Beatles' music catalogue, and has since evolved into a popular modern-day nursery rhyme for children.