Default New Yes, Prime Minister...

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headli...series-on-gold

UKTV’s comedy channel Gold has commissioned a new six-part series of classic satire Yes, Prime Minister, following a 24 year hiatus.

Scripted by the original writing team, Jonathan Lynn and Antony Jay, the new episodes will see Rt. Hon Jim Hacker back in office as PM, "leading a coalition government confronting the greatest economic crisis in a generation, with European economies going down the toilet, a tempting energy deal from an unusual source, a leadership crisis with his coalition partners, a Scottish independence referendum and the greatest moral dilemma he has ever faced".

UKTV’s Director of Commissioning, Jane Rogerson commented: "The political landscape in Britain today is the perfect setting for Yes, Prime Minister to return. I’m thrilled that Gold has enticed Jonathan Lynn and Antony Jay to pen a brand new series, and can’t wait to see this constitutional treasure back on screens across the country."

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It's a great idea. There's never been a better time to bring it back, and the current turbulent political lanscape is ripe for satire.

I'm surprised and delighted.

Si.

It could work, couldn't it? I wonder who they'll cast?

Hasn't Yes Prime Minister been usurped by The Thick of It?

It'll be interesting to see the casting for this. But provided they keep it to political shenanigans based in 2-3 rooms, they should be on to a winner.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

This is good news, but they'd have to get the casting just right. Derek Fowlds is still around, I think, but really they'd have start with a clean slate.

Great that it's being written by the original team, though!

They can't have Paul Eddington, he's dead.

Si.

Nor Nigel Hawthorne, who is also dead.

It sounds very much like the stage play that I saw last year and it wasn't a patch on the original series. Maybe that was just bad casting or (literally) theatrical performances though. Tightened up for television I'm sure it will be fine. Not great but fine.

And I won't be able to watch it because for the first time in 20 years I won't have UK Gold.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I think Simon Williams played Sir Humphrey in the recent stage production. He'd be good.

The current touring production has Graham Seed as Hacker. Seed has been constantly doing stage work since the producer of The Archers made his much loved character Nigel accidentally fall off the roof of Lower Locksley during the 60th anniversary episode at the start of 2011.

I'm sure I saw the stage play. Or maybe I dreamed it. Or maybe he was always old I don't know.

Si.

sorry but I think this is a very bad idea Yes Minister/Prime Minister is one of the best British sit coms ever Paul Eddington and Nigel Hawthorne were a fantastic double act and you simply will not be able to recrate what they had.

Does it have to be as good as one of the the best British sitcoms ever to be worthwhile?

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Does it have to be as good as one of the the best British sitcoms ever to be worthwhile?

Si.

for me it's not a question of trying to be as good as the original I just feel there are certain tv programms (and films) where the original was of such high quallity that you should never try to remake them. You say it's a good idea but would you feel the same way if some one said we're going to re-make Dad's Army or Porridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    If you're going to try and re-make one of the best British sitcoms ever, then yes. Otherwise all you've done is a pale imitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    sorry but I think this is a very bad idea Yes Minister/Prime Minister is one of the best British sit coms ever Paul Eddington and Nigel Hawthorne were a fantastic double act and you simply will not be able to recrate what they had.
    If the original writers weren't involved I'd feel the same way, but as it's the same team I've some interest as to how it will turn out. And if it's not any good, then just pretend it doesn't exist.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    If the original writers weren't involved I'd feel the same way, but as it's the same team I've some interest as to how it will turn out. And if it's not any good, then just pretend it doesn't exist.

it takes more than just the wtiters to make a top quality sit com if you look at the original Yes Prime Minister/Yes Minister and Dad's Army they had an absoloutely fantastic cast of actors to make it work.

It could work very well - I wonder, mind you, whether they need to have Hacker & Sir Humphrey, mightn't they be as well with two supposedly different characters entirely? Paul Eddington was just superb as Hacker, but that's not to say another actor couldn't be just as good - as long as they give him a bit of free rein, and not just look for a very similar performance to the original.

What with this and the impending new Red Dwarf, I'm really quite excited!

I think Chris Langham would be superb in the Hacker role, but obviously due to being in The Thick of It and his recent troubles, it's sadly not going to happen.

It takes more than just the wtiters to make a top quality sit com if you look at the original Yes Prime Minister/Yes Minister and Dad's Army they had an absoloutely fantastic cast of actors to make it work.
    Oh I agree, but it just gives me a bit more faith than if it was by new writers with no link to the previous series. But there's no harm in doing it, and you never know, it might actually be good - no one had any faith in the new Red Dwarf episodes and look how...Oh. Yeah. But, um, well the new lot might be better, hopefully...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

no one had any faith in the new Red Dwarf episodes and look how...Oh. Yeah.
    TBH I think that 'Back To Earth' was decent enough - still streets ahead of a lot of other sitcoms. The only thing that scuppered it for me was their attempt to make it into Blade Runner. For some reason.

If they do new 'Yes Prime Minister', do you think they could still get Tom Baker in as a drunken old Lord?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!