Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Companion's Character Name

Have started a separate thread for this, as anybody who doesn't want to know therefore doesn't have to look.

I was told this by a friend who more often than not has solid information, although needless to say, it might still very well be wrong.

The name will be alone in Post 2, in spoiler tags, and from Post 3 we will no doubt be discussing its significance, so anyone who doesn't want to know until such time as an official announcement is made need not bother with this thread again.

And of course, if the official announcement comes and it's a different name anyway, this whole discussion will have been for nothing!

Here's what I heard Jenna-Louise Coleman's character will be called:

Naomi Greene

I'd say there's very little significance to be derived from that, save perhaps for the fact that the forename spelled backwards reads "I moan".

I've spoilertagged this post partly because of that last sentence and partly in case anybody wanders on here by mistake and accidentally catches this far down the page out of the corner of their eye.

That's not what I expected it to be. Interesting - the rumoured name which I've seen bandied around (well, on Gallifrey Base anyway) is Meredith Gold which I'm not too keen on, to be honest.

Hmmmn, how curious! Both three-and-one syllable combinations as well - don't know why, that just suddenly struck me! They're both okay, but neither really grabs you. I wonder if Meredith Gold is perhaps a bit too close to Murray Gold to actually be real? Or maybe that's the point...

I'll tell you a funny story about Gallifrey Base.

Back in 2009, when I was still fairly new to the internet and was just first getting involved in things like GB, I used to occasion the Spoilers & Speculation thread there. When filming for The End of Time began, people would post set pictures featuring the likes of Jessica Hynes, Billie Piper and John Barrowman, and lots of highly extravagant theories about how they might all tie in to the Tennant finale began to appear.

One day, I posted the following: "Surely these ex-companion appearances will simply form a coda to the main plot, with a just-about-to-regenerate tenth Doctor making one final visit to each of his most significant others before he regenerates alone, having 'said goodbye'." I even added: "The Billie Piper scene will probably be the last one before he goes, and it will probably be a pre-ninth Doctor Rose that he visits, with her having no idea of who this complete stranger actually is."

Needless to say, the entire forum rounded on me for having posted such ridiculous rubbish, to a man saying it couldn't possibly be anything remotely like that, and I haven't been back to that particular section of the forum since.

Idiots!

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Southall View Post
    Hmmmn, how curious! Both three-and-one syllable combinations as well - don't know why, that just suddenly struck me!
    And both with colours for surnames!

One day, I posted the following: "Surely these ex-companion appearances will simply form a coda to the main plot, with a just-about-to-regenerate tenth Doctor making one final visit to each of his most significant others before he regenerates alone, having 'said goodbye'." I even added: "The Billie Piper scene will probably be the last one before he goes, and it will probably be a pre-ninth Doctor Rose that he visits, with her having no idea of who this complete stranger actually is."
    You ARE Russell T Davies and I claim my ten pounds!

It's not a place I've always been particularly fond of, and it's true that many posters do come across as very uncharitable at best, downright rude and unpleasant at worst, and often not very open to other people's opinions. I've tentatively started posting again recently, and it seems to have calmed down a bit, but it's such a big place, I only dip my toe into the waters occasionally. I don't suppose anyone apologised when they realised you'd got it spot on, did they?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    You ARE Russell T Davies and I claim my ten pounds!
    That wasn't the first time either; pre-internet, I correctly guessed the entire sequence of events that would see Rose leave at the end of Series Two, simply from having watched School Reunion. I just seemed to have an affinity for how RTD wrote his characters and an understanding of how he put his plots together.

I can't do it now he's left.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    I don't suppose anyone apologised when they realised you'd got it spot on, did they?
    I never went back to find out! I still visit GB every day, but only go on the books and DVD threads. I don't really want to be too spoilerised any more, and get everything I need to know from Roobarbs.

As for the new companion's name, my money's on Brian Poltergeist.

It's very early days, and these are all unconfirmed rumours! Let us not forget that Amy Pond wasn't originally called Amy Pond in early drafts of Season 5...

If either name is what Moffat is planning, it could change

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    It's very early days, and these are all unconfirmed rumours! Let us not forget that Amy Pond wasn't originally called Amy Pond in early drafts of Season 5...

If either name is what Moffat is planning, it could change
    I think we're a little beyond the 'early draft' stage now! They're filming it next month!

That's not what I heard it was! I was told the other week and I can't remember what it was now, but it was something old fashioned.

Si.

I think we're a little beyond the 'early draft' stage now! They're filming it next month!
    That's true, but there's still a month in which they could change the character's name...

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

Sounds like we've all heard different things anyway!

Oh... from all the precautions you were taking I was expecting something highly significant... not just "bland generic name #35"

Ideally, the new character's name shouldn't mean anything to us at all at the moment, regardless of what it is. I would like to think it's a fresh start with a new character totally unconnected with what has happened in the series to date. I'd be disappointed if the character's name was found to have some significance in the series past...

And the name is... Clara! At least, according to Twitter it is.

Perhaps it should be #Clara. Anyway, that's exciting isn't it? Other Doctor Who companions with a 'C' in their name include Ian Chesterton, Ace and Jamie McCrimmon.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I associate the name Clara with the dotty old Aunt from Bewitched!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    As for the new companion's name, my money's on Brian Poltergeist.
    I'd have loved that if it were true! Can I steal that name for a bit of my stand up routine?
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I don't know the surname yet, perhaps it's be something like Bell, or Sky, or Silkillsmorespotsthananyotherzitcream?

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I'd have loved that if it were true! Can I steal that name for a bit of my stand up routine?
    If I said yes, it wouln't be stealing, woud it? Of course you may.

Which twitter feed is responsible for claiming this name? (Don't love it or hate it, see how it goes, although this does leave the door open for "Clara Formed" headline puns...)

Clara is Lis Sladen's middle name.

The suggestion is the surname could turn out to be Stone, which is Nick Courtney's middle name, I'm told.

Well, that'd be a nice little tribute to the two of them!

Overall, not sure on the name - but then again, I wasn't sure on the names Rose, Martha or Donna - and all of those grew on me!

----

I wasn't remotely sure either until I discovered the reason why they'd chosen it, and now I'm of the thinking that it couldn't have been anything else.

Surely she's called Clara 'cos The Grand Moff is a Pigeon Street fan...