Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I can't watch that Resevoir Dogs scene where the guy gets his ear cut off plus some parts of "Silence of The Lambs" where he's skinning people because they just repulse me so I don't think it's for me either! I'll just stick with the cosy Hammers

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I can't watch that Resevoir Dogs scene where the guy gets his ear cut off plus some parts of "Silence of The Lambs" where he's skinning people because they just repulse me so I don't think it's for me either! I'll just stick with the cosy Hammers
    I have a strange reaction to OTT violence in movies. Maybe it's a pychological safety trip or something, but it doesn't have any impact on me because i just can't relate to it. If anything it just bores me. Maybe because deep down i know it's not real. Yet whenever i've witnessed violence in the news or seen it with my own eyes, or sometimes if it's a film portraying true events like 'Schindler's List' or 'Downfall', then that's different.
    It's the same reason i don't like gore fests, It all just seems so OTT & unrealistic. And i don't like films that just seem to be deeply unpleasant for the sake it. When a bunch of us who i shared a house with hired out 'Trainspotting' to watch, i left the room half way through. Where's the thrill in seeing people vomiting & such like?
    But back to the horror films, As i mentioned before, for me it's the fear of the unknown that pushes my buttons. I guess that why i tend to like the horrors with a supernatural slant.

I'm quite fond of Alfred Hitchcock's films which raised the standard for suspense in movies. I always admire the skill and talent of those filmakers who get that jump factor simply from playing with your imagination of the unknown with a combination of carefully crafted visuals with a perfectly timed score.

I've never liked gore for the sake of it movies. I think they are often the realm of talentless filmakers..

I really like both, I'm not sure why. I don't like horror films which are needlessly or deeply unpleasant (Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer springs to mind), but I do have a soft spot for gory films which are tongue in cheek like Peter Jackson's Bad Taste and Braindead, The Evil Dead 2, Freddy vs Jason etc.

In these the gore's played for laughs a lot of the time, which sounds twisted I know, but well, I blame being far too desensitised by horror films for this. When I was about 14 I went through a stage of watching loads of horror films like the Friday 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street series' (the bloke in the video shop asked my Mum if it was okay for me to rent out 18 rated films once, and she said it was as long as they weren't blue movies - unaware that most tacky horror films have lots of nudity in them!) and ever since I'm just not bothered by it when it's obviously OTT.

Then again I love films which build up suspence, Hitchcock's one of my all time favourite directors, I adore Vertigo and pretty much love (nearly) everything else he did, and I find this (fairly) new strand of asian films to be the most disturbing and unsettling horror films I've ever seen, despite being often almost blood free a lot of the time.

MINOR SPOILERS BELOW

I'm glad you liked Dark Water btw, Wayne, I thought it was very similar to The Ring too, and perhaps thats why I didn't enjoy it quite as much at the time as I wanted something a bit more original in terms of shocks, but then like you say it is incredibly effective in what it does, and yeah, the lift moment towards the end is done just superbly!
    Last edited by Alex; 2nd Mar 2007 at 1:47 PM.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I blame being far too desensitised by horror films for this. When I was about 14 I went through a stage of watching loads of horror films like the Friday 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street series' (the bloke in the video shop asked my Mum if it was okay for me to rent out 18 rated films once, and she said it was as long as they weren't blue movies - unaware that most tacky horror films have lots of nudity in them!) and ever since I'm just not bothered by it when it's obviously OTT.
    That's just it though, Alex.
    I'm not bothered by that sort of content either, but my personal feeling on the matter is that there's no point watching a horror film if it doesn't give you that certain buzz. I appreciate the idea of watching something for the fun of getting a laugh out of it's OTTness, but if i want a laugh, i'll watch some comedy. If i watch a horror film, i want the thrills & the adrenalin & all the rest it.
    Just my point of view you understand.

And re. 'Dark Water' - Given that it's not a huge favourite of yours, did you ever bother checking out the re-make?

I know what you mean, I've certainly lost interest in the more traditional horror film of late, I've certainly no interest in seeing any of the remakes of things like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Omen, etc, etc, and anything which features just dumb teens running from a deranged creature I find dull. It really is just the comedy horror film (I'd love Sam Raimi to do Evil Dead 4 for instance) that I've any time for, bar the more pyschological films we've been chatting about.

I did see the remake due to my liking of Jennifer Connelly, but my memories of it are pretty vague, I think it was a drunken affair where I only half watched, and thought it was okay but nothing that special.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Wayne Guest

Yeah, it's the Freddy & Jason & films of that ilk that put me off the horror genre at that time. The original 'Friday 13th' & 'Elm Street' movies weren't too bad, but the endless sequels just became sheer repitition, totally lacking in imagination.
    Mind you, with you being a bit younger than me, they probably had more impact on you at 14yrs old!?

Well, yeah, there was the odd nightmare at the beginning, if I ever have kids I don't think I'd like them to be watching 18 rated films quite that early on...Though to be honest reading Stephen King novels was probably more disturbing, certain scenes from Christine and The Dead Zone have stayed with me to this day. I never was really bothered by the gore at the time though, I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not to be honest.

The fact that most of the tackier horror films had female nudity in them definitely wasn't part of why I watched so many of them though. No no no no. Maybe. Okay, alright, alright, so I'm obviously lying here.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Wayne Guest

The fact that most of the tackier horror films had female nudity in them definitely wasn't part of why I watched so many of them though. No no no no. Maybe. Okay, alright, alright, so I'm obviously lying here.

Well i grew up on the Hammer films, & i can remember seeing 'The Vampire Lovers' when i was about 12 or 13.
    Madeline Smith's breasts had nothing to do with the appeal of the film, though.

Wayne Guest

Well tonight i watched the american re-make of Dark Water, & i liked it. Much like the versions of the 'Ring' films, there were some different things to appreciate about both versions. Although i've been aware of Jennifer Connelly for a while, (i wonder why? Could be a couple of big things she's got going for her, i guess) It's the first i've seen her starring in a film, & i thought she was very good indeed.
    Now to the story.......

SPOILERS BELOW

Although it's basically the same film there was a different emphasis on certain aspects of the storyline in this version. There was a bit more emphasis on the child's imaginary friend, & also on the stress that the mother is under; the migraines, the sleeping problems etc... & Jennifer Connelly portrayed this very well. Also i thought the ending was made a bit clearer via the dialouge that the mother is definitely giving up her life to save her daughter.
    Whilst there were some good scenes in the movie, the washroom scene springs to mind as the first blatant indication that something really freaky is going on, i thought that certain scenes weren't handled quite as effectively as the original version. The bathroom scene near the end for example wasn't built up to maximum tension levels half as well as the japanese version.
    It's interesting actually because of the fact that i've watched the original first in this case, but i watched the re-make first in the case of 'The Ring'. In this case, although i enjoyed this version in it's own right, i'd say that the japanese version is better overall. I can't but wonder if i'd seen the re-make first, whether id've enjoyed it even more because of not knowing what's going to happen, & vice versa with 'The Ring'. If i'd seen the original first, Would i be more likely to subscribe to the seemingly popular viewpoint that it's so much better than the american re-make? Just a thought. It's difficult to say, because i think that 'The Ring' (whichever version) is ultimately superior to 'Dark Water'.
    Getting back to the film in question, I did think that they did a good job of the ending in this version. Although totally different to the original, (Only 3 weeks had elapsed instead of 10 years) I thought scene at the end where mother & daughter were briefly re-united was particularly poignant. Beautifully done.

End of Spoilers

So there you have it. Another good movie which i'm glad i bought!
    Next up for me is 'The Eye', which i'll be watching tomorrow. And so far there isn't an american re-make, although apparently it's on the cards.

I look forward to catching up with that one

He said skipping past the spoilers...

Ah, Jennifer Connelly...sigh...if only she would make more films like "The Hot Spot" (google image search "jennifer connelly hot spot" will reveal why!).

I'm glad you liked the remake, but I'm more excited about you seeing The Eye today, as that's a film I really like a lot, visually I think it's fantastic too.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Wayne Guest

Ah, Jennifer Connelly...sigh...if only she would make more films like "The Hot Spot" (google image search "jennifer connelly hot spot" will reveal why!).
    Indeed! ...sigh
    I've never seen the film but the first time i'd ever heard of her was when i found those pics.

But since we're on the subject, let's have an allowable one.

I'm glad you liked the remake, but I'm more excited about you seeing The Eye today, as that's a film I really like a lot, visually I think it's fantastic too.
    Well, tonight's the night. I shall look forward to it. I prefer to watch these kind of films at night. It's not the same when the sun's streaming through the the window.
    Last edited by Wayne; 3rd Mar 2007 at 2:24 PM.

Caught up with two movies tonight

First up "Island of Terror" (1966)

"A small island community is overrun with creeping, blobbish, tentacled monsters which liquefy and digest the bones from living creatures. The community struggles to fight back"

Yes thats right, it's a boneless hand

Peter Cushing stars in this one and once he makes his appearance the movie just keeps going at a entertaining enough pace. I was pleased to see the "monsters" as they lifted the movie - it felt a bit like "Day of the Triffids" with the under seige feel. I'm not sure if I remember this one - it seemed vaguely familiar but I understand one not too disimliar was made with Chris Lee a few years later and so I might be thinking about that one. I quite liked the music in this one too. The sound effects for the "silicates" is good also.

I'd give this 6.5/10

Later I watched

The Shining (1980)

I hadn't seen this one for ten years or so I wanted to check it out again and see if it was as good as I remember it and I have to say it is.

The opening sequences look amazing with fantastic scenery and the music is suitably ominous. I think "Sleeping With The Enemy" later borrowed this soundtrack.

Indeed throughout the film the incidental music and sound of heartbeats etc is used to great effect. Gore is used only occasionally to add additional effect achieving a nice balance. In fact Kubrick's directing is great as ever. The casting for this movie is superb, Jack Nicholson is the only actor I could envisage in this role and Shelley Duval and the child actor involved are excellent also.

I know Wayne's not keen on this one I'm not sure why as I think it's an excellent psychological movie. The atmosphere in the isolated hotel is fantastic.

What makes the movie though is Nicholson's performance which is arguably a career best.

"You have always been the caretaker"

This one's got to be a 10/10 for me. I just felt drawn in to the whole atmosphere of it - great stuff indeed!

Last edited by Ralph; 4th Mar 2007 at 2:40 AM.

Wayne Guest

I've just finished a rather late viewing of The Eye. Another very good film. These asian horror's are turning out to quite a revelation!
    In talking about the film, i'd like encompass some earlier comments, some from 'The Ring' thread.
    It's also damn scary, but at the same time work on a fascinating psychological level, and I really like it. A remake's on the way too, and it's listed for 2007 on imdb, but I've no idea when it'll be out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    I echo Alex's comments about "The Eye". Even better than Ringu! Very, very scary!
    I'm more excited about you seeing The Eye today, as that's a film I really like a lot, visually I think it's fantastic too.
    So for Ralph's benefit in particular, there are:

SPOILERS BELOW

First of all, i enjoyed the film, & agree with Alex's comment about the visuals which are superb. I agree also that like 'The Ring', the focus is on the pychological level which i enjoyed. However, whilst i really liked the film for it's freaky, surreal edge, i don't think it was as out & out 'hairs on the back of yer neck standing up', as 'The Ring'. This is not a criticism, but more an observation of the slightly different tone of the film. It certainly did have it's unnerving moments - The deformed man in the lift was the most effective for me, especially when you see the feet not touching the floor. Brrrrrrr! Also the scene at the caligraphers (sp?) (Why are you sitting in my chair?) was pretty startling!
    I'm not sure if this is gonna make complete sense - It's very difficult to get across the different perception i got from this film compared to 'The Ring', because is quite subtle. For a start there's something very iconic about the whole Sadako/Samara imagery. Those scenes from Ringu/The Ring are just so memorable & for me personally, more unnerving even than anything from 'The Eye'. I think partly it's because; whilst there's a strong element of tragedy in both 'The Eye' & 'The Ring', i think 'The Eye' has more of a tone of genuinely tragic events that both Ling & Mun for not really responsible for. Whereas in 'The Ring', there's a distinctly dark intent that eminates from Sadako. She just seems genuinely more deranged & evil than either Ling or Mun. Sadako's death was steeped in tragedy like Ling's was, But because Sadoko was murdered, it there's a much stronger deliberate, vengeful feeling. Whereas Ling being bullied, & basically being made an outcast, drove her to take her own life, which is even more of a genuine human tragedy than 'The Ring', maybe - But it does give a slightly different tone to the film. I dunno if i'm making sense, or if i'm making too much of it, but that's way i picked it up anyway. But these are not criticisms, just observations!
    I think another element is that Hideo Nakata is just such an absolutely superb director. With all due respect to the Pang brothers who have made a fine film, with some great sequences; Nakata knows how inject the absolute maximum amount of suspense & tension into his scenes. You really are on the edge of your seat, or at least i was! Perhaps i souldn't make too many comparisons, but as a relative novice to asian horror, i can't help but compare.
    One of the best sequences from 'The Eye' though, has to that end scene, the fire & the aftermath, which is pretty bloody grim actually, but so effective. And again underscores why this film has more of a sense of tragedy. The final scene between Ling & her mother was beautifully touching though. Very poignant. Even more so than 'Dark Water'. I could feel tears in the back of my eyes at this ending.....
    The other big difference with 'The Ring', is that this film seems to come to a definite everything resolved ending. It's difficult to see how the sequel(s) will go, without using the same theme with a different set of characters. Ling seems very much at peace at the end of this movie. Not so with Samara/Sadako.......

End of Spoilers

All in all then, another damn fine movie. It felt a little different to what i expected. It doesn't quite have sheer edge that Hideo Nakata's has, IMO, & possibly not quite the same momentum. But a totally worthwhile film, Very powerful in a more emotional way i think, & yes some some downright wierd, scary bits. A great addition to any horror fan's collection. I'm glad i bought it, & thanks for the recommendation!
    I'm gigging for the next couple of night's, but i looking forward to checking out the sequels, starting with 'The Eye 2', on Tuesday.
    Last edited by Wayne; 4th Mar 2007 at 2:46 AM.

Sounds like you had a frightful evening Wayne

Wayne Guest

First up "Island of Terror" (1966)
    I'm gonna be brief 'coz it's late, but i really need to give this one another viewing. I had on old off air recording of it, & liked the film enough to buy the dvd recently, but i haven't had chance to watch it yet, bar making sure the disc worked ok. From memory though, i think it's a got good atmosphere about it, & top stuff from Cushing as usual. I'd give it a 7 or possibly 7.5/10, but i need to re-asess it sometime soon.

I know Wayne's not keen on this one I'm not sure why as I think it's an excellent psychological movie. The atmosphere in the isolated hotel is fantastic.

What makes the movie though is Nicholson's performance which is arguably a career best.
    I couldn't disagree more. I think it's one of the most overated films ever, & a large part of that is because i think Jack Nicholson is an overated, one trick pony actor. His performance in 'The Shining' is so OTT that's it's more like a comedy, or a send up.
    The only film i've ever really liked him in is the re-make of 'The Postman Always Rings Twice'. Other than the Batman stuff that is, because he really suits The Joker.

Sounds like you had a frightful evening Wayne
    Yeah, sorry about the spoliers, But i have to get it all out whilst it's still fresh in my mind!

Ooh, good thread, boys. I'll add a LOT (Jerusalems?? ) when I'm not quaffing vodka and orange, listening to Jef Airplane and smoking...stuff.
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    smoking...stuff.
    "The Right Stuff baby, the Right Stuff! Watch my traaiiiil!"

There i go with the Hawkwind songs again. :wayne. Any excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. I think it's one of the most overated films ever, & a large part of that is because i think Jack Nicholson is an overated, one trick pony actor. His performance in 'The Shining' is so OTT that's it's more like a comedy, or a send up.
    The only film i've ever really liked him in is the re-make of 'The Postman Always Rings Twice'. Other than the Batman stuff that is, because he really suits The Joker.
    Perhaps you just have to like Jack Nicholson's manic style to enjoy the performance. I disagree it's overated clearly, it really gets you involved imo, which a gripping film should.

Maybe Nicholson doesn't do the full acting range but I think he gives great performances in many of his films I've seen: Chinatown, A Few Good Men, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Blood and Wine, As Good as it gets... and if he wasn't in Batman I wouldn't even have given it a viewing

I think Nicholson entertains his audience - whether or not it's top rate acting I'm not sure but I know if he's in a movie it's a reason to watch it for me anyway

Wayne Guest

Perhaps you just have to like Jack Nicholson's manic style to enjoy the performance. I disagree it's overated clearly, it really gets you involved imo, which a gripping film should.

Maybe Nicholson doesn't do the full acting range but I think he gives great performances in many of his films I've seen: Chinatown, A Few Good Men, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Blood and Wine, As Good as it gets... and if he wasn't in Batman I wouldn't even have given it a viewing

I think Nicholson entertains his audience - whether or not it's top rate acting I'm not sure but I know if he's in a movie it's a reason to watch it for me anyway
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. I've given 'The Shining' at least 3 chances to try to 'get me involved' over the years, & it's failed everytime. I think it's just an over-hyped movie.
    As for Nicholson, I can watch him, But he's a bit like Tennant for me in the sense that he's better when he's not going OTT. Apart from my example of 'The Postman Always Rings Twice', i'd agree he's pretty good in 'A Few Good Men', But i'm afraid 'One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest' is another film that's not my bag, & i haven't seen the others you mention.
    It's just different tastes. He's better than Roger Moore though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    He's better than Roger Moore though.
    Just you leave Roger out of it

He's just as entertaining in his own way!

Wayne Guest

He's just as entertaining in his own way!
    Not as entertaining as his Spitting Image puppet was.

The fact that they made a puppet of him shows at least he made an impact

Wayne Guest

The fact that they made a puppet of him shows at least he made an impact
    Yeah, but they made a puppet of John Major.

(Actually, the Leonard Nimoy puppet was one of the funniest.)