Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I watched the Japanese version of The Ring tonight which made me jump once - I kind of expected more though. I think the american version is scarier - the tape is freakier, the faces of the victims look more creepy and the scene in the Well was better too.

Overall for me I have to say the atmosphere in "The Shining" still felt more gripping. I think "The Ring" and "Ring 2" while well made movies are possibly a little overated while The Shining suggested as overrated hits the mark bang on.

I would say also that I jumped more in for example "What Lies Beneath" more than The Ring.

I feel I'm putting a bit of a dampner on The Ring but while above average they are not the utterly scary movies I expected them to be. Sorry I'm not giving more positive vibes guys.

I might as well get all the bad news out the way and say I also watched
    earlier "The Abominable Dr Phibes" er I just didn't really take to it at all. Vincent Price is an acquired taste perhaps..

I suppose I did give lots of favourable comments on many movies recently!

(even if it was Michael Caine )

I watched Pulse tonight. This is yet another Japanese horror film remade in the US.

The story has ghosts invading our world via the internet, claiming the lives of the living by sucking out their soul, their will to live, leading the victim to commit suicide.

This starts off as a typical teen horror, with some effective scares, very obviously inspired by The Ring etc, but I got a bit bored after half an hour and paused it and went online. I went back to it later and watched the remaining hour....and I was very pleasantly surprised!

In an unusual, and unexpected turn, the horror escalates from within the small group of friends (where movies of this type remain 99.9% of the time) and it becomes clear that the ghosts are all over the world! This is realised fairly cheaply, but nonetheless very effectively, as we get glimpses of new reports, scenes of deserted streets, smoke rising from wrecked buildings, and terrified survivors running for their lives. One particularly effective shot sees a jumbo jet in flames plummet out of the sky and explode!

Along the way there are some superbly realised scares, the ghosts are suitably terrifying in appearance. It's shot in the typical style of these movies, with lots of greys and blues, and not much colour.

This got terrible reviews and only has 4.1 / 10 on imdb, but I would highly recommend it!

AND it has Christina Milian in one of the lead roles!

8/10.

Wayne Guest

Sorry you didn't enjoy 'The Ring', Ralph. Not much else i can say, really...... Though strictly speaking, you should've used 'The Ring', thread. (Just teasing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    I watched Pulse tonight. This is yet another Japanese horror film remade in the US.8/10.
    Sounds good, Matt. I think i might check this one out sooner or later. It's only just come out, so it's still not especially cheap at the on-line stores yet.
    However, i've just picked up the original Japanese version from Choices UK for a fiver.

Hi Wayne I do thing The Ring is good just not as much as everyone else though

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Hi Wayne I do thing The Ring is good just not as much as everyone else though
    Fair enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Sounds good, Matt. I think i might check this one out sooner or later. It's only just come out, so it's still not especially cheap at the on-line stores yet.
    Actually, i've just got to thinking.......
    I saw an ad on tv last night whilst watching 'Primeval', for 'Lovefilm.com' dvd rental service. They've got a 2 week free trial. I might sign up to checkout the re-make of 'Pulse'.
    Has anyone else used a dvd rental service?

I'm with lovefilm and they're pretty good, they have a huge selection of films, the only problems I have with them is that it's sometimes frustrating when you really want to see a film and then just don't get it for ages.

There's a select which priority (high, medium, low) as to how much you want to see a film, but it rarely makes any difference, I've had 24 season 5 selected on high priority for ages now and it hasn't turned up. Though with more obscurer stuff (and films that have been around for a whole) it doesn't seem quite so bad.

On the other hand, thanks to it I've seen some superb stuff which I never would have (both series of Carnivale, Shark Attack 3 (it stars John Barrowman and is ridiculously silly!), Princess Mononoke, Huff series 1), and with the rate I turn over dvds, it works out at about 1 a dvd, and could be even cheaper if I was quicker to watch films sometimes.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Wayne Guest

Thanks for that, Alex.
    I've just been looking into it, but what i don't like about it is that once the free trial is over you're signing up for a minimum of a tenner a month, whether you want to rent anything or not.
    In my case it's likely to be only the occasional film that i want to see, so it would work better for me if they just let you sign up, but then only charge you a fee for each title that you rent, much like going to your local video shop.
    I think i'll hang fire for 'Pulse' until it comes down a bit on Play/Sendit etc... It usually doesn't take long. And in the meantime, i'll have the japanese version to checkout.
    Have you ever seen that one?

I'll have a look at those programs you sent me tomorrow Wayne, see if I can help out.

Shark Attack 3 is well worth checking out as well, just don't pay more than a fiver for it.

Wayne Guest

@Matt. Good luck.

The Eye

SPOILER CITY AHEAD!

Just watched The Eye and I picked up on your comments Wayne.

However, whilst i really liked the film for it's freaky, surreal edge, i don't think it was as out & out 'hairs on the back of yer neck standing up', as 'The Ring'. This is not a criticism, but more an observation of the slightly different tone of the film. It certainly did have it's unnerving moments - The deformed man in the lift was the most effective for me, especially when you see the feet not touching the floor. Brrrrrrr! Also the scene at the caligraphers (sp?) (Why are you sitting in my chair?) was pretty startling!
    I would agree "The Eye" is a very different movie, more of events that are possible in my mind while "The Ring" is about horror. As such I don't see The Eye as a horror movie - the american movie "Jacob's ladder" which I haven't seen for years seemed reminiscent but that was still more horror orientated.
    The Eye is more of a psychlogical thriller - that would be my best decription while The Ring is a horror based movie.

The deformed man in the lift was one of the spookiest moments - I really felt for her there and that must have been the slowest lift on the planet!!

Those scenes from Ringu/The Ring are just so memorable & for me personally, more unnerving even than anything from 'The Eye'. I think partly it's because; whilst there's a strong element of tragedy in both 'The Eye' & 'The Ring', i think 'The Eye' has more of a tone of genuinely tragic events that both Ling & Mun for not really responsible for. Whereas in 'The Ring', there's a distinctly dark intent that eminates from Sadako. She just seems genuinely more deranged & evil than either Ling or Mun. Sadako's death was steeped in tragedy like Ling's was, But because Sadoko was murdered, it there's a much stronger deliberate, vengeful feeling. Whereas Ling being bullied, & basically being made an outcast, drove her to take her own life, which is even more of a genuine human tragedy than 'The Ring', maybe - But it does give a slightly different tone to the film. I dunno if i'm making sense, or if i'm making too much of it, but that's way i picked it up anyway. But these are not criticisms, just observations!
    I understand what you're saying Wayne - I find "The Eye" in a way very different because it feels like it could be possible where "The Ring" just strikes me as unreal. I feel more for the characters in "The Eye" as a result.

I think another element is that Hideo Nakata is just such an absolutely superb director. With all due respect to the Pang brothers who have made a fine film, with some great sequences; Nakata knows how inject the absolute maximum amount of suspense & tension into his scenes. You really are on the edge of your seat, or at least i was! Perhaps i souldn't make too many comparisons, but as a relative novice to asian horror, i can't help but compare.
    I don't think in my view the two films are competing - I really do think it's different genres - one a horror, one a thriller.

One of the best sequences from 'The Eye' though, has to that end scene, the fire & the aftermath, which is pretty bloody grim actually, but so effective. And again underscores why this film has more of a sense of tragedy.
    The end scene is gripping I have to agree - I thought it was all over and then that finale came - I take it Mun loses her sight again from the blast? I thought that was sad.

Oh and before I forget the scene of Ying Ying coming back to say goodbye to Mun was touching and sad.

The final scene between Ling & her mother was beautifully touching though. Very poignant. I could feel tears in the back of my eyes at this ending.....
    The other big difference with 'The Ring', is that this film seems to come to a definite everything resolved ending. It's difficult to see how the sequel(s) will go, without using the same theme with a different set of characters. Ling seems very much at peace at the end of this movie. Not so with Samara/Sadako.......
    The final scene for Ling and her Mum was very touching as you say. Also I agree everything does seem concluded at the end of "The Eye" so I can't really see where it goes from there.

All in all then, another damn fine movie. It felt a little different to what i expected. It doesn't quite have sheer edge that Hideo Nakata's has, IMO, & possibly not quite the same momentum. But a totally worthwhile film, Very powerful in a more emotional way i think, & yes some some downright wierd, scary bits. A great addition to any horror fan's collection.
    I actually enjoyed "The Eye" more because of the more powerful emotional attachment - for that reason it worked better for me.

My Thanks to Mr Jefferies for giving me the opportunity to see this fine movie

Wayne Guest

The Eye
    Just watched The Eye and I picked up on your comments Wayne.

I understand what you're saying Wayne - I find "The Eye" in a way very different because it feels like it could be possible where "The Ring" just strikes me as unreal. I feel more for the characters in "The Eye" as a result.
    I agree, in a sense. 'The Eye' is a very realistic film that you could almost imagine happening. Ling was a victim of her own 'gift' (for want of a better word), which was a kind of 'second sight', but she was misunderstood, & persecuted by her fellow villagers. There's a very human touch to it, that harks back to the kind feel you get from the stories of innocent women who were persecuted for being 'Witches' in the past, when they may simply have been individuals with a certain amount of psychic power.
    Whether or not you believe in psychic powers doesn't really matter, but we all know what it means, & most open minded people are prepared to accept it as a possibility. I think this, coupled with genuinely tragic slant that makes you feel for the characters, is part of the reason that gives 'The Eye' it's realistic appeal.
    To my mind, that doesn't make 'The Ring' seem 'unreal'. The film does have a slightly more fantastical edge to it, & i know that you're not keen on much of a 'fantasy' element. This might be part of the reason why you seem to prefer the Hammer Frankenstein's, whereas i prefer the Dracula/Vampire stuff. They both fall into the category of 'Horror/Fantasy', but the 'Frankenstein' story is essentially rooted in science. It's something you could almost think was possible. Whereas the vampire legends are very mythic & have a stronger element of fantasy about them, i think.
    Anyway, i'm digressing big style, but i'm just trying to quantify the differences in what appeals to the to of us.
    Back to 'The Ring': Samara/Sadako was clearly seen to have fantastical mental powers, & to be able access her victims through the electrical & magnetic medium, was a twist that is a more difficult concept to grasp, But i didn't find it unrealistic, personally. Mind you, i'm only trying to guess at exactly what is was about 'The Ring' that you found unreal, since you haven't explained it yourself. I think it's a fair case to say that it's more 'escapist' than 'The Eye', but that's all part of the appeal for me. I want to escape!

I don't think in my view the two films are competing
    It wasn't my intention to suggest that the films are merely competing. My comparisons were observations, not complaints. I was trying to draw attention to the reasons why ultimately, i prefer 'The Ring' over 'The Eye', & part of that was to compare the different directorial approaches. It's my opinion, based as much on 'Dark Water' as the 'The Ring', that Hideo Nakata is a master of injecting the absolute maximum amount of suspense & tension into his scenes. Something which IMO, the Pang brothers didn't quite achieve to the same degree.

I actually enjoyed "The Eye" more because of the more powerful emotional attachment - for that reason it worked better for me.

My Thanks to Mr Jefferies for giving me the opportunity to see this fine movie
    That's a totally fair comment. I agree, as said in my review, that there's is a more powerful emotional attachment in this film.

And, You're very welcome. Same goes to you for The Others/The Changeling etc....
    Last edited by Wayne; 11th Mar 2007 at 11:50 PM.

In response to your comments Wayne I think "unreal" was probably not the right word for my decription of "The Ring" but more fantastical as you say.

I agree on the Frankenstein/Vampire digresion - yes I think I find movies that are closer to science based have more impact on me. Good observation that I hadn't considered Probably why the "Abominable Dr Phibes" did nothing for me! Which probably explains why I find the more factually based "Witchfinder General" more appealing as a Price movie.

I'm quite curious how "The Eye 2" will pick up the story - I have a feeling it will be a tough act to follow.

Have you seen "Jacob's Ladder" Wayne? - another Psychological drama/horror?

Wayne Guest

In response to your comments Wayne I think "unreal" was probably not the right word for my decription of "The Ring" but more fantastical as you say.

I agree on the Frankenstein/Vampire digresion - yes I think I find movies that are closer to science based have more impact on me. Good observation that I hadn't considered Probably why the "Abominable Dr Phibes" did nothing for me! Which probably explains why I find the more factually based "Witchfinder General" more appealing as a Price movie.

I'm quite curious how "The Eye 2" will pick up the story - I have a feeling it will be a tough act to follow.

Have you seen "Jacob's Ladder" Wayne? - another Psychological drama/horror?
    It's always enjoy reading your views, Ralph. Even though we like different aspects of things.
    I won't say anything further to my previous comments about 'The Eye 2', until you've seen it, but i liked the 3rd film 'The Eye Infinity' better. (Unfortunately, that's the one i'm having problems doing the *cough naughty biz with, But i'm working on it.)
    As for 'Jacobs Ladder', i know i've seen it once many years ago, but it can't have made that much of an impact on me at the time, because i can barely remember anything about it. I wouldn't be opposed to giving it another go, though.

Wayne Guest

My copy of the original Japanese version of 'Pulse' was dispatched today.
    Also, i'm sick of waiting for Sendit to get the re-make of 'The Grudge' (Extended Directors Cut) in stock, so i've cancelled & paid an extra quid for it at Amazon, who have it in stock.
    Whilst i was there, i couldn't resist getting the re-make of 'Pulse', either. I had a well paid gig last night, so i thought 'Sod it!'.

Impatient! I would've got round to checking that program out soon.

Been laid up in bed for the past few days with flu.

This did mean I got chance to watch The Eye though - and The Eye: Infinity arrived from Play this morning! But I'm back at work tonight and away tomorrow night, so that one will have to wait.

Wayne Guest

Impatient!
    I'm afraid i am a bit, when i get myself set on something.
    Hope you feel better soon, & enjoy Eye Infinity.
    Speaking of which you can still checkout those programs on that disc if you like, because i clumsily managed to scratch my copy of Eye Infinity, & now my PC won't read it.

Shark Attack 3 is well worth checking out as well, just don't pay more than a fiver for it.
    Why would you need to?

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/10638...3/Product.html

I imagine its more expensive to rent!

Make way for a naval officer!

Fairly big Eye 3 spoilers below!

I've just seen The Eye 3 and have got to say I was really surprised by it, it's not that I disliked it by any means, but it wasn't what I was expecting at all!

Plot wise It is fairly normal horror fare really, in that it's about a bunch of teens who mess around with a magic book and then horrible supernatural things happen to them (infact that's the exact plot of The Evil Dead!), but the Pang Brothers have done some really interesting things with it. There's some really nicely shot and carefully paced scenes that still manage to shock you even when you're expecting them, and I don't know how many times I've seen it, but when the ghosts move in unnaturally odd ways (or really quickly), it still freaks me out!

If I had any issues with the film is that it almost gave us too much too soon - the freakest scene imo is the one with the group tapping on bowls to summon the ghosts, and that comes right at the beginning. I never really got in to sympathising with any of the characters that much either, there's so much plot here they just get forced along with it.

The only other thing I felt was a bit odd was how much humour there was in it, and sometimes it detached me a little from the film, I don't know why but some of the really funny scenes (when one of the guys kicks a child in the head because he thinks he's a ghost when he's not / the farting) broke up the tension a bit too much...

The film eventually culminates in two of the characters venturing into the spirit world via an ancient supernatural ceremony. This is one of the longest & most stunning sequences in the film, both visually, & for the 'hairs on the back the neck' standing up factor. Great stuff! Right up my street!
    I won't say too much about the ending, in relation to what happens to certain key characters, but there are several twists & turns that run through the film that bind it all together into a cohesive story, even though it seems like a series of events happen to particular characters at a particular time, & the film ends with the book back again the bookshop, with the old man selling it to another unsuspecting buyer........
    The so weird but disturbing end sequence is fantastic though, like you say, as is the final twist! Overally I did really enjoy it, though it's probably my least favourite of the trilogy, partially due to it just not being what I was expecting, and I just didn't quite feel as disturbed by it as I did the original film, and also the sequel. I'd still rate it about 7 out of 10, with Eye 2 getting 7.5 / 10 and The Eye 9 /10.

Right, tis The Grudge next! Which'll hopefully happen over the weekend.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Wayne Guest

Spoilery stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Plot wise It is fairly normal horror fare really, in that it's about a bunch of teens who mess around with a magic book and then horrible supernatural things happen to them, but the Pang Brothers have done some really interesting things with it.
    I know what you mean. Infact, the initial premise gave me doubts almost straight away, but they were soon washed away by the different things that the Pang brothers did with the idea.

If I had any issues with the film is that it almost gave us too much too soon - the freakest scene imo is the one with the group tapping on bowls to summon the ghosts, and that comes right at the beginning. I never really got in to sympathising with any of the characters that much either, there's so much plot here they just get forced along with it.
    I guess i'm kinda the opposite on that one. I liked this one because it hits the ground running, whereas 'Eye 2' lost points for me for taking too long to get going.

The only other thing I felt was a bit odd was how much humour there was in it, and sometimes it detached me a little from the film, I don't know why but some of the really funny scenes (when one of the guys kicks a child in the head because he thinks he's a ghost when he's not / the farting) broke up the tension a bit too much...
    I'd agree with that. It was rather odd considering how plain spooky the overall tone of the film is. I did kinda wonder why they bothered with that, but it was overshadowed for me by the rest of the movie, i guess. I found it easy enough to put to one side, but it definitely lost a point because of it.
    Overally I did really enjoy it, though it's probably my least favourite of the trilogy, partially due to it just not being what I was expecting, and I just didn't quite feel as disturbed by it as I did the original film, and also the sequel. I'd still rate it about 7 out of 10, with Eye 2 getting 7.5 / 10 and The Eye 9 /10.

Right, tis The Grudge next! Which'll hopefully happen over the weekend.
    Fair comments. Yet ironically, think that one of the reasons why i liked it better than 'Eye 2' was precisely because of the reason that you didn't like it so much. I liked the fact that it didn't go where i expected it to, & i thought it succesfully used the original overall idea in a different way, whereas i thought that although 'Eye 2' did have a slightly different tangent, It was a little too much of a re-tread of the original in some ways. Still - It can be good to differ! It might be a boring discussion, otherwise.
    Btw.... I hope you enjoy 'The Grudge', but if one of your complaints about 'Eye Infinity' is that it packed too much in, Well IMO, it's not half as much as 'The Grudge' packs in. It's pretty relentless!

I guess i'm kinda the opposite on that one. I liked this one because it hits the ground running, whereas 'Eye 2' lost points for me for taking too long to get going.
    I think in a lot of ways it just caught me off guard, because like you say the others take a fair old while to get going. If it hadn't have been an Eye film then perhaps I would have come to it in a different frame of mind...Not that there wasn't a lot I liked about it, but I still think nothing quite matches the bowl scene for scares!

Fair comments. Yet ironically, think that one of the reasons why i liked it better than 'Eye 2' was precisely because of the reason that you didn't like it so much. I liked the fact that it didn't go where i expected it to, & i thought it succesfully used the original overall idea in a different way, whereas i thought that although 'Eye 2' did have a slightly different tangent, It was a little too much of a re-tread of the original in some ways. Still - It can be good to differ! It might be a boring discussion, otherwise.
    Btw.... I hope you enjoy 'The Grudge', but if one of your complaints about 'Eye Infinity' is that it packed too much in, Well IMO, it's not half as much as 'The Grudge' packs in. It's pretty relentless!
    It's odd because normally I like films which surprise me, & I should stress I did really like this too, it's just that I thought it wasn't quite as effective as the other two in building up the tension, which is something I really like about the first two fillms.

As for The Grudge, well, I like relentless shocks too, so I am looking forward to it!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Wayne Guest

I should stress I did really like this too, it's just that I thought it wasn't quite as effective as the other two in building up the tension, which is something I really like about the first two fillms.
    Also fair comment. It's usually something i like two, but getting the balance just right, so that it doesn't go too slowly, is an art in itself.
    Something which Hideo Nakata has definitely mastered, IMO. I must look into what (if any) other films he's done, sometime.

Meanwhile, Amazon have proved themselves much quicker than Choices, as my copy of the 'Pulse' re-make turned up this morning. Yet strangely, they dispatched 'The Grudge' re-make seperately, & that hasn't turned up yet.
    Amazon are weird. They make you go to all the trouble of making sure you spend over 15 to get the free postage, & then they despatch the two items seperately, yet on the same day, which surely must cost them more postage? And one of the qualifications of free postage is that your items are 'grouped together'. It just proves that the postage thing doesn't really mean shit to them. It's just a way of getting you to spend more money.
    Ok, minor rant over. Hopefully, 'The Grudge' remake, & the original japanese 'Pulse' from Choices, will turn up tomorrow.

Amazon are weird. They make you go to all the trouble of making sure you spend over 15 to get the free postage, & then they despatch the two items seperately, yet on the same day, which surely must cost them more postage? And one of the qualifications of free postage is that your items are 'grouped together'. It just proves that the postage thing doesn't really mean shit to them. It's just a way of getting you to spend more money.
    I've noticed this - fair point

Here's the best bit of Shark Attack 3 and possibly the best part of any film ever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riTmalXedUA

An ad-lib too by all acounts. Even Shakespeare couldn't write something so poetic.

Wayne Guest

Hopefully, 'The Grudge' remake, & the original japanese 'Pulse' from Choices, will turn up tomorrow.
    Yay! The postman brought my 'Grudge' re-make & original 'Pulse' movies this morning, so i'll more than likely be resuming my 'Don't Watch Alone' viewing tonight.

Jack The Ripper (1988)

"September 1888: Mary Ann Nichols is slaughtered in the streets of London beginning the reign of terror of the murderer commonly known as Jack The Ripper. More victims start to appear scattered around Whitchapel, all as savagely butchered as the next... With the threat of a popular or even Anarchist uprising and the government as unpopular as ever, the police and the ruling class are desperate to see an end to the killing spree. Inspector Aberline (Michael Caine) is put in charge of the investigation despite his alcoholism or maybe because of it, since if all else fails, he'll make a fantastic scapegoat".

A Thames TV production from 1988 I remembered this vaguely from the original transmission. I recently ordered the DVD to check it out. It caught my eye at the time as I always try and catch Michael Caine's movies (well the good ones anyway!)

It was a new slant on the Jack The Ripper theories and attempted to come across as a more realistic presentation of who he was and why to this day mystery surrounds his identity.

Not scary as such but I think a good dramatisation with a real victorian feel and an excellent cast.

I'd give it 7/10.