Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Don't watch alone...

This was a title used by Scottish Television back in the 70s for Horror seasons, of course with the passing of time some probably don't match that title any more

I wanted to introduce this thread in tangent to Hammer for all those non Hammer Horror Movies. I though it best rather than a series of threads individually.

First up is the 2001 production of The Others - I will keep it spoiler free for my part.

The Others (2001)

The movie stars Nicole Kidman and has an appearance from Christopher Eccleston. I think Kidman's performance is absolutely excellent.

It's one of those movies that has full impact first time you see it as next time around you know the twists. This was my second viewing and I must say it does still pack a few thrills along the way even once you know the conclusion. I did "jump" a few times - not right out my chair you undestand but I felt the momentary jolt as the suspense builds up.

I see this as a classic Ghost story where it's more suspense and imagination -anyone looking for a gore or slasher film will be disappointed. But if you love old creaky mansions thick with atmosphere both inside and in the grounds then I think you'll enjoy the ride.

In the movie the children are light sensitive so a good excuse to keep the movie in the shadows and ensures the creepy feel.

Another notable face in the movie is Eric Sykes who gets the only straight role I've ever seen him in and I think is rather good in the small part he plays.

I think where it scores also for me is the thought provoking aspect of it as it comes to it's conclusion and I wonder if there's something in it as an explanation why ghost sightings may occur. Not that I'm a great believer in these things but as I say it got me thinking.

Because it made me jump from excellent timing and for Kidman's convincing performance I'd give it 9/10
    Last edited by Ralph; 19th Feb 2007 at 1:38 PM.

I've seen The Others once, when it was on at the cinema, I remember thinking it was very good, and it has an excellent creepy air of mystery about it, and I never guessed the twist before it came either!

I've had the DVD since it came out about 4 years ago but I've never watched it again! For some reason, like Planet of Evil, I feel this one can only be watched in the fading light of a late December afternoon, so it'll be almost a year before I think about watching it again!

Oh and my copy of Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (UNCUT - Too SHOCKING for the cinema!) arrived from Play today, so I may talk about that in here later.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    Oh and my copy of Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (UNCUT - Too SHOCKING for the cinema!) arrived from Play today, so I may talk about that in here later.
    I saw a bit of this on TV not so long ago - a grim bit where a guy's still alive impaled on a meat hook

It would be great to see your thoughts Matthew but no pics required

Ooh that was good but a bit gruesome! Actually, thats a lie, it was EXTREMELY gruesome!

This'll have spoilers so don't read if you intend to watch this.

The original 70s Texas Chainsaw Massacre is notorious because it was banned for so many years. This fact, coupled with it's sensational title lead many who haven't seen it to believe it's a gorefest, but it isn't, it in fact contains less gore than your average Hammer movie from the 60s - presumably what got it banned was the unremitting terror as the heroine is relentlessly hunted by Leatherface and his ever buzzing chainsaw. The way it was shot, and acted, made it seem very realistic, compared to other schlocky horrors of the time.

I saw it before it was unbanned and found it very disturbing. I never investigated the 2 sequels though as they are generally considered to be rubbish.

The original was remade in 2003, and was surprisingly good, but this time did include some very graphic gore.

"Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning" is a prequel to the 2003 remake, and tells the story of how Leatherface became Leatherface. It's extremely tense and exciting, very well made and acted. The four heroes are fully rounded characters, and you really root for them as their terror unfolds.

One stand out scene, that I had to watch from between my fingers, sees the lead character killed with a chainsaw to the stomach whilst strapped to a table, before having his face peeled off, with Leatherface then wears!

I like horror films, and the two main reasons are that I like to be scared, and I like to see the heros win in the end, to see good triumph over evil. This film certainly succeeds on the first count, with many scenes making me jump or gasp. But on the second point, because this is a prequel, and I knew, having seen the first film, that all the baddies survive, I sort of knew that I wasn't going to be satisfied.

You need the satisfaction doubly in this film as the sheriff character is such a nasty piece of work that you want to kill him yourself! Luckily although he doesn't die, one character does get to give him some just desserts.

So I recommend this film for all horror fans, just DON'T watch it after you've eaten, or before you're about to eat!

8/10.

I think the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is my favourite 'gory horror'. Like you say Matthew, the "unremitting terror as the heroine is relentlessly hunted by Leatherface and his ever buzzing chainsaw" is quite terrifying, especially the last 30 minutes of the film where it never seems to end.

I like the fact that it's very unpredictable as to who gets killed off, and when, in any other film the disabled character would be sympathetic and somehow survive, but in keeping with the rules of reality - something horror films rarely do - he's killed off first due to being the easiest target, as it were.

The meat hook moment is probably the single most "Bejebus that's horrible I never want to see anything like that again" moment in horror films for me, and as much as I admire The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, it's definitely a horror film I have absolutely no intention of ever watching again!

I've seen the second Chainsaw Massacre, and it's just ridiculous. Dennis Hopper over acts far too much, and there's a black character who gets tortured and shot countless times but keeps on popping up again, normally just to be shot or tortured some more, and the 'real feel' of the first film is completely lost.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I first saw the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre about 1983 when new fangled VCR's and video tapes meant you could choose what you wanted to see on TV.

It wasn't my choice and I found it quite repulsive and realised what a good job the censors had done to keep it off the tv stations.

Perhaps the most unsettling scene was seeing the guy in the wheelchair having his legs and arms removed with a chainsaw... Also the bit with "grandfather" who looks like a corpse dropping the hammer repeatedly on the girl's head is just plain horrible. And of course numerous scenes with people on meat hooks.

When I saw it in 1983 it was my understanding it was based on a true story but I now realise this was suggested so the audience would be horrified all the more.

I would say for me this movie is the ultimate antithesis of that warm cosy "it's great to be alive" feeling I get from watching Audrey Hepburn in "Breakfast at Tiffanys".

Definitely not one to watch if you want your spirits raising!

Wayne Guest

I saw 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' at the flix many, many years ago. I dunno if it was edited or what, but i was bored. But i think that's just me. Gore fests nothing for me whatosever. They neither shock me, nor scare me. I need that psychological thing going on. I was much more un-nerved by 'The Exorcist' back in the day. Despite the fact that i chuckle at the pea soup, now.

I would've said that the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a psychological horror rather than a gorefest! Even the scene Ralph describes above, the wheelchair guy getting chainsawed, is fairly bloodless. The film gets it's point across from it's unrelentingly grim atmosphere and realism.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    I would've said that the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a psychological horror rather than a gorefest! Even the scene Ralph describes above, the wheelchair guy getting chainsawed, is fairly bloodless. The film gets it's point across from it's unrelentingly grim atmosphere and realism.
    Fair point. 'Psychological' perhaps isn't the most accurate word to use to describe the kind of 'Horror' that i get my kicks from. For me it's when a film taps into subconcious stuff; the fear of the unknown, & stuff which i guess has more of a supernatural element. I'm afraid a guy running round with a chainsaw just doesn't get into my head.
    Last edited by Wayne; 20th Feb 2007 at 7:36 PM.

WhiteCrow Guest

I used to have nightmares after watching E.T. usually something along the line of E.T. coming back to give Elliot the obligatory anal probe.

I also had nightmares after watching Jaws - odd because living as I did in Burton-on-Trent which is a minimum of 100 miles from sea in any direction, I was fairly safe, unless that shark dressed as a hitchiker and made its way accross the country ...

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    I also had nightmares after watching Jaws - odd because living as I did in Burton-on-Trent which is a minimum of 100 miles from sea in any direction, I was fairly safe, unless that shark dressed as a hitchiker and made its way accross the country ...
    I was 12 when I saw Jaws at the cinema and jumped off my seat when the head popped out in the underwater scene

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I wanted to introduce this thread in tangent to Hammer for all those non Hammer Horror Movies. I though it best rather than a series of threads individually.

First up is the 2001 production of The Others - I will keep it spoiler free for my part.

The Others (2001)

I'll be watching 'The Others' tomorrow night.
    I'd watch it tonight, but i'm gigging. I'm looking forward to this one.
    Also, got a few other horrors to check out thanks to a very fine scotsman,
    And my copy of 'Dark Water' (See 'The Ring' thread) arrived from Play today.
    Actually; In reference to the other films on that thread recommended by Alex/Matt/Dave etc... that i ordered in my little horror splurge the other day; It makes more sense to use this thread to talk about them from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I've just had a big splurge on Play/Sendit for various films mentioned in this thread & in relation to 'The Ring'!
    It worked out cheaper the buy 'The Eye' films separately. The cheapest price of the box set was 28.49, but buying them seperately only cost me 21.77.
    So i got:

The Eye: 6.89
    The Eye 2: 6.89
    The Eye Infinity: 7.99
    The Grudge: 4.39
    The Grudge 2: 7.99
    The Grudge: Extended/Directors Cut (remake): 7.89
    Dark Water: 6.89
    Dark Water (remake): 5.89

8 films for 54.82 + i got 39 ipoints from Sendit. Not too bad. Good job i've got 3 gigs this coming weekend!

I'm spoiled for choice

Look forward to hearing your views

Wayne Guest

I'm spoiled for choice

Look forward to hearing your views
    We need your views on 'The Ring'.

Scream and Scream Again (Amicus 1970) (spoilerific)

Not sure why it has this title except some "groovy" band in a "groovy" night club sing the title as a chorus.

To give some idea of the plot I've edited this summary of the movie as it's a complex one!:

Starts with a jogger running along as the opening credits play, suddenly he collapses with chest pains. He wakes up in what looks like a Hospital room and is being attended to by a sexy Nurse who never says anything, to his horror he quickly realises that one of his legs has been surgically removed!

Next we're off to some secret military outfit which strongly resembles Nazi Germany except they have a slightly different symbol on their flags & uniforms. A top officer is assassinated by another officer who kills him by merely grabbing his shoulder.

Then it's back to the mysterious Hospital again as the poor jogger finds out that he has lost his other leg & the Nurse still won't say anything.

Then a woman is found dead in a park somewhere in London, Detective Superintendent Bellaver (Alfred Marks) & his men are on the case. He decides to pay a visit to Dr. Browning (Vincent Price) for whom the woman worked but Browning is of little help.

The autopsy shows this girl to be brutally murdered, raped & drained of her blood.

Meantime... British Intelligence minister Fremont (Christopher Lee) has a political crisis on his hands when the military Country, State or whatever it is shoots a plane down & captures the pilot...

The police finally catch up with the 'Vampire killer' who rips his own hand off to escape cuffs & then throws himself into a vat of acid.

A plot is uncovered to replace humanity with artificial synthetic replicas made partly from real body parts & back at the Hospital the jogger has both his arms & eventually his head removed as well!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee & Vincent Price while in the movie are only in it fairly briefly. The main character appears to be Alfred Marks as police officer Bellaver.

I couldn't figure out the movie at all at first as it just seemed like three movies all at once and I'm not sure if having so many strands works in it's favour or not.

The music is also a bit weird not quite fitting the scenes I thought but is probably typical of this era thinking back to "Dracula AD 1972".

It's certainly a movie you remember and you want to know where's it's going and the ultimate conclusion. I know I haven't seen this before because without a doubt I would have remembered!

I think it's difficult to rate a film like this - it's compelling but it's complex, the key stars are only briefly in it...plus it's a movie of mixed genres...weird man weird

I would recommend it as long as you don't mind watching something as I say weird but compelling.

Oh and I know this guy didn't enjoy the movie!

Last edited by Ralph; 26th Feb 2007 at 6:17 PM.

This film has haunted me throughout my life and everyone I know of similar age has their own experiences of it.

Similarly nobody I have met has a bloody clue what it is about.

Make way for a naval officer!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    This film has haunted me throughout my life and everyone I know of similar age has their own experiences of it.
    And now Wayne has passed on the curse to me...

Anyway, where is Wayne when you need him? I need this movie explained!

Wayne Guest

I remember seeing it when i was about 11 or 12. What freaked me out about it was the guy who kept waking up with another limb missing each time...... It still makes me shiver just thinking about it!
    As for explaining it, yeah it's pretty bizzare film. Quite mad really! I think that explains it.

Witchfinder General (1968)

For Wayne in particular from film notes: "Horror legend Vincent Price clashed with Director Michael Reeves on set with the latter telling him not to ham it up. Price took offence at this but obviously heeded the advice, and his performance here is arguably the best of his career."

I must say I'd agree that in this movie he gives a very convincing performance - based on a real life character of days gone by... step out of line in those days and be labelled a witch and the horrific consequences

...and it'll be more than a few twigs a la Pertwee at the stake in Daemons

"The basic story is common enough for this sub-genre of horror movies: There is an abusive official who accuses and prosecutes alleged witches for his own personal gain and personal power trips. There are two other fine British films from this time period that deal with the same subject matter, The Devils by Kurt Russell and Mark of the Devil starring Herbert Lom. All three are well made and effective, but Witchfinder General is the darkest of the bunch. The tortures are all brutal and unnerving to watch and there is a lot of screaming in this movie. Price plays Hopkins as overbearing and cold bloodedly cruel. He allows a woman to submit to him sexually to prevent someone from being killed, then tortures and murders the guy anyway, and then later has her tortured and murdered for being a witch."

Not for the faint hearted
    Last edited by Ralph; 26th Feb 2007 at 6:24 PM.

Wayne Guest

Witchfinder General (1968)

For Wayne in particular from film notes: "Horror legend Vincent Price clashed with Director Michael Reeves on set with the latter telling him not to ham it up. Price took offence at this but obviously heeded the advice, and his performance here is arguably the best of his career."
    Interesting.

Which version of Witchfinder did you see?

A very familiar film from my youth, but I caught it on late night TV some months back and it had loads of extra bits in it which were really ropey VHS quality that I had never seen before.

Make way for a naval officer!

Oh yes, this is a film that sticks in the mind of anyone who saw it when they were young. I was about 10 when I saw it & it gave me nightmares. I didn't want to go to bed in case I woke up missing limbs.

There were some brilliant psychological horror films from the '60's & '70's that I saw at an early age. This one really affected me.

Which version of Witchfinder did you see?

A very familiar film from my youth, but I caught it on late night TV some months back and it had loads of extra bits in it which were really ropey VHS quality that I had never seen before.
    I haven't seen it recently Nathan but I suspect what I saw was the cut version.

Wayne Guest

I had a double bill of scary thrills tonight. I decided to checkout a film that i'd spotted on BBC1 called 'Below', about a haunting which took place on a submarine. I wasn't expecting too much, but i recorded it to a dvdrw just in case, & i'm glad i did because it exceeded my expections. A very tense & suspensful film, which made a good support movie to the main feature of the night, which i've just finished watching.

The Others (2001)
    I thought this was an excellent film. Just the sort of psychological stuff that i've been talking about that i enjoy.
    Nicole Kidman was indeed excellent, as was all the cast, including the child actors which i thought did a fine job.
    I found the story completely captivating, & like Ralph, it gave me a start a couple of times, too.
    I thought it got more & more compelling as it went along, & there were a couple of key moments that really stood out, like when Kidman's character found the photo of the 3 servants in the book of the dead, & later towards the end when we first see the woman leading the seance.

I think where it scores also for me is the thought provoking aspect of it as it comes to it's conclusion and I wonder if there's something in it as an explanation why ghost sightings may occur. Not that I'm a great believer in these things but as I say it got me thinking.
    I certainly never saw the 'twist' coming, & i agree that the film has a very thought provoking take on supernatural possibilties.
    An excellent film all round. I could do with more stuff like this! Thanks Mr.M.
    Anyway, before i move onto the films i mentioned above that i ordered in the wake of 'The Ring', i'll be taking a slight detour via 'The Changeling' (1979), & 'The Haunting' (1963), over the next day or two, also thanks to Mr.M.