Thread: JNT

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Quality journalism.
    Especially the request for other BBC-related sex scandals... And in a way I can understand blanking out Gareth's face in the picture - not that you can't get the full version on DVD, or that it doesn't accidentally incriminate Colin by doing that to the photo.

Colin just tweeted: the journos apparently 'doorstepped' his family over this story! So this is the freedom the press want to protect, is it? The right to drag uninvolved people into scandals and gossip and to harass their families for juicy soundbites?

What on earth would Colin's family have to say about JNT? His daughters probably don't remember him.

Do you think the press cares about that?

Meanwhile, the Sun's also found the Savile angle. So obviously anyone who worked on any BBC programme is now tarred with a certain brush if they worked on a fix-it for a kid, is the way the story tried to spin it.

Interesting interview with Richard Marson , on the book and the press reaction, on The Media Show programme on Radio 4 as I was driving home today.
    Bazinga !

I bet he's laughing all the way to the bank as pre-orders for the book must be sky rocketing.

Hopefully this won'r rear it's head in the papers again now.

Well I've read the first two chapters now, detailing his early life and career at the BBC. It's been interesting to read what an influence Gary Downie had on him and how not all his friends approved of the realtionship and indeed how well thought of he was by his colleagues at the BBC in the early stages of his career.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Its a compelling read. I've read the offending and much talked about chapter now, and well, what is there to say- it happened. There's nasty stuff in there, it was uncomfortable, but it was a part of the life of JNT> If you're going to do a biography you can't just whitewash it and hope it's not there.

It's a fascinating book in so many ways. the culture of the BBC is well expressed, how the changes of heads of departments really changed things for him is very clear. Jonathan Powell comes over extremely badly- what an arrogant, pompous guy he is. He doesn't come out of this at all well.

Neither does Ian Levine. But I'm not going there- the capital letters will be painful.

And this might be a useful watch...

I read the whole thing cover to cover yesterday - JNT comes out not too badly I thought, certainly better than Gary Downie or some of the fan glitterati, I nearly choked on my Diet Coke at some of the contemporary quote from Jan Vincent Rudski!

His decline after the show ended is very sad. His and Gary's behaviour in directing a shoddy local panto is cringeworthy. His illness and early death are terribly upsetting.

An excellent review from Johnny Morris here. It sums up a lot of what I've thought as I've been reading it.

I've ordered our copy now. Can't wait to read it, especially all the saucy bits! Pwhhoooaaaaaarrr!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Neither does Ian Levine. But I'm not going there- the capital letters will be painful.

Ah yes - the original capital offence!

Surely there is no chat up line more terrifying and alarming than 'Would you like to come back to mine for a wet spritzer - or a spritzer that's dry, oh so terribly dry?'

Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I notice DWM have not covered this at all

OK, so the series discusses homosexuality and lesbianism these days, but in A Certain Way. The book seems to discuss JNT's lifestyle in a rather more adult fashion than the way the series does. Does anyone know the magazine's age demographic? Perhaps the reason lies there?

That could be the reason although they did cover Wills's biography making reference to her having an abortion

DWM is a family magazine these days... but does that mean we're missing out on a grown up perspective? I'm pretty sure they reviewed Blue Box Boy, which had almost as much sex in it.

Also, they can be very late with their review of small press books. Maybe this'll get a couple of paragraphs in a few months' time.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Currently reading this (kindly loaned to me by Mr Clancy. )

It really is a 'warts and all' story - literally, in some senses... Compulsive reading, though!

Apparently this book says that JNT spat in Nicola Bryant's face? How horrible is that?
    If true, I can't imagine what she could've done to have provoked such an uncalled for action.

If I remember that bit correctly, she spent time in a hotel bedroom with a gay friend of JNT's and he convinced himself (or Gary Downie convinced him) that she was using her womanly charms to convert him.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    If I remember that bit correctly, she spent time in a hotel bedroom with a gay friend of JNT's and he convinced himself (or Gary Downie convinced him) that she was using her womanly charms to convert him.
    Is that all? I thought she'd tried to murder his mother or something, at least.

If that's the sort of thing JNT did, then I'm not impressed I'm afraid.

I'm going to start reading this tonight

You'll be finished by morning