Thread: JNT

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Yes it was, but what it more likely comes down to is,whether you think it was sensationalised for tge JNT book. There's a case to say that it was I think.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Tom Baker and Patrick Troughton seemingly had very active sex lives but I wouldn't expect to read about it in a biography about them at least not in detail.

I agree. I liked the JNT book however I do agree with pretty much all the comments made on the thread, especially in relation to the way his sex life was ‘reported’. I also think that as either Simon Raynor or Dave pointed out earlier in the thread; there are parts of the book that seem to be just quotes from various people; rather than backed up facts. They may well be true but it’s not always easy to tell.

Well researched? Well written?

I’m not enough of a book reader to say, but I did enjoy the book over all, mainly as it opened my eyes to a lot of things about JNT and the BBC that I was not aware of.

I will probably get the Verity Lambert book just see what else I can learn from it. Also I do like that whole 60’s vibe that I get whenever I read anything about that era – including behind the scenes stuff on the Hartnell episodes etc.
    Other than her various TV credits and what was portrayed in ‘An Adventure In Time And Space’ I know very little about Verity Lambert.

The book seemed to me to be entirely based on quotes from people! I don't think there was any other way to do it really. I think that's fair enough because it was presented as anything else. I especially liked it when there were two contradictory quotes presented in juxtaposition.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

In the Troughton book his private life is covered not quite the way it's covered in the JN-T but it is covered and in the way that doesn't show Troughton in a very positive light.

Fair enough. I haven't read the Troughton one but I'd like to.

I've got the Troughton audiobook, but I still haven't found the time to listen to it....

I'm very interested to hear of the Verity Lambert book. I'm curious find out if she's anything like the way she was portrayed in AAISAT.
    The JNT book hasn't been of particular interest to me personally. Well, not to the point of actually getting it and reading it anyway.... Mainly because his era doesn't interest me as much as the '60s or '70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart View Post
    Mac Hulke, Kit Pedlar, the audio-visuals...
    I hadn't realised there were quite so many books out there covering less well known aspects of the Dr Who world.
    There's quite a few there that would interest me if I had a bit more cash....

I always joke that Miwk are just there to produce books I really want to read!

You've financed enough of their's and Hirst's, are you quite sure it's a joke?

Good point!

So far I'm pleased to report that the Robert Holmes biography has only made brief mention of pipe smoking and eating kippers with vinegar.
    Bazinga !

brief mention of pipe smoking and eating kippers with vinegar
    You haven't bought the Scratch n' Sniff version then?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!