Thread: JNT

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default JNT

Christopher H Bidmead tweeted this tantalising message earlier...

Just finished being interviewed by a delightful chap, Richard Marson, for his upcoming book about John Nathan Turner. I got coffee & cake.
    And then on Roobarbs, Richard Marson posted this:

As author of said book, I should just say that it's in the early stages of research and interviewing - but even at this stage, I think it's going to be a rewarding, sometimes poignant and hopefully surprising read. I certainly hope so - wish me luck!!
    Sounds very interesting!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'm surprised and delighted. Stay tuned!

We're a few weeks away from the tenth anniversary of his passing so this seems an apt time for such a project.

I'm looking forward to this. JNT's voice is sorely missing from the DVDs and other Who-related stuff, so I'm hoping this will redress the balance somewhat.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

And with ten years having passed since his death, I think now is an appropriate time for this - hopefully it'll provide a very objective view on JNT, his life and his legacy, without delving into the realms of hagiography.

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Having lived through the 1980s and witnessed a fair bit of the DWB-sponsored JNT-bashing first hand (and to be fair, having been of an age to agree with a fair amount of it - an opinion that's been heavily revised in the years since) I've already got this book down as an absolute must-buy.

So Bidmead's been interviewed (and so has Levine); I'm fascinated to read what Saward's got to say in this book - he must surely be on Marson's list!

Yes - very sad he never got to see the show revised, and also see how attitudes to his tenure have changed for the better (I hope).
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

J.N.T. - The Life and Scandalous Times of John Nathan-Turner tells the story of the most controversial figure in the history of Doctor Who. Television producer and writer Richard Marson brings his dramatic and sometimes scandalous story to life in a new biography from Fantom Publishing.

Together with the benefit of his own inside knowledge and the fruits of over 80 revealing interviews with key friends and colleagues, Richard reveals the most honest and frank account of John's life and work.

"John was a fascinating character who had a huge and enduring impact on Doctor Who" says author Richard Marson. "My biography, which tells the full story of his life and career, aims to be open and revealing, complex and compassionate. Along the way, I've been often surprised, sometimes shocked, occasionally saddened and frequently amused...."

Richard was given unique access to all of Nathan-Turner's surviving archive of paperwork and photos (many of which appear here for the very first time), as well as BBC archival material and video and audio archive from a range of private sources.

J.N.T. The Life and Scandalous Times of John Nathan-Turner will be released in April 2013 and published in two versions: a standard paperback (£13.99) and a limited edition hardback (£26.99). The Hardback Edition, is only available direct from Fantom Publishing. Limited to only 250 copies - each copy is individually numbered and signed by the author - with exclusive colour photos, and an exclusive cover designed by June Hudson.

Sounds very good!!

Pity it's not out for Christmas - it would have made it on my list for Father C!

It's out in time for my birthday though! (Hint, hint!)

I'm surprised and delighted by this news.

This looks like essential reading and I have a hunch that for fans of the man, there might be a few shocks in it.

Si.

I fear it's not going to be overly flattering if what Ian Levine was saying on the podcast is true.

Fantom are also doing Jon Pertwee's Moonboots and Dinner Suits which is has been out of print for a million years so that's another one to get!

I see they've listed publication date as April 2013. Surely they should have listed it as "Stay Tuned"!!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    I fear it's not going to be overly flattering if what Ian Levine was saying on the podcast is true.
    Well Ian would love us to think that. Some of his anti-JN-T comments aren't exactly subtle. I get the impression that it will attempt to be balanced and not be either a total whitewash or a downright vilification.
    I'm sure most of us have heard his memoirs in which he admits that he made mistakes. More recently Lis's comments in her autobiography on his handling of the whole K-9 and Company debacle made interesting reading (or listening in my case).

Richard marson did a great job with his big Blue Peter 50th anniversary book and of course, the Tales of Televsion Centre, so I think this project is in safe hands. So much so that I've already ordered my copy.

This is the kind of thing that will happen now Mr McCow isn't around...

Looks like Miwk Books are publishing the JNT biography now.

This may be a little confusing, for which we apologise. But this book, previously announced by Fantom Publishing is now going to be released by Miwk (that's us).

A hardback limited edition is being planned, but we don't have details yet. The standard paperback is already up for pre-order. Please note that the cover is not final.

We're incredibly proud to be publishing this book. It's no understatement to say that it really is one of the most fascinating Doctor Who books you will ever read.

JN-T: The Life and Scandalous Times of John Nathan-Turner tells the story of the most controversial figure in the history of Doctor Who
    For more than a decade, John Nathan-Turner, or “JN-T” as he was often known, was in charge of every major artistic and practical decision affecting the world’s longest-running science fiction programme. Richard Marson brings his dramatic, farcical, sometimes scandalous, often moving story to life with the benefit of his own inside knowledge and the fruits of over 100 revealing interviews with key friends and colleagues, those John loved to those from whom he became estranged. The author has also had access to all of Nathan-Turner’s surviving archive of paperwork and photos, many of which appear here for the very first time.

“Completely addictive – scurrilous, fascinating, hilarious and naughty...”

Sophie Aldred (Ace)

“Really well written, lively, vivid and magnificently researched. It brings it all back and also tells me things I didn’t know.”

Andrew Cartmel (Doctor Who script editor 1987–89)

“Quite wonderful on many, many levels. Gripping, fascinating, appalling – and, by the end, truly moving. Immaculate research makes the whole utterly trustworthy. A very good and very well written book.”

David Reid (BBC head of drama series and serials, 1981–83)

“Reading it has been like travelling back in time myself. You’ve really brought John back to life, as complex and unpredictable as I remember him.”

Kate Easteal (John’s secretary, 1986–88)

“Some of the revelations are painful (but) we find this very rounded, well written and honest.”

Fiona Cumming and Ian Fraser

The book is available to preorder from Miwk (£14.99):

http://miwkpublishing.com/store/inde...&product_id=30

U.S. customers are advised to place their order with WhoNA as it will be quicker and cheaper to order locally.

MIWK119/ISBN: 9781908630131

RELEASE DATE: MAY 2013

We'd have been surprised if there hadn't been any scurrilous gossip, let's face it!

We sure would! I'm really interested in this book- JNT is still one of the most controversial figures ever to be involved in Doctor Who and I think he was a complex and interesting man with it too. I wonder how it's going to paint him- you hear so much about all the things he was and he wasn't...

This is actually one of the few biog's that I'm really interested to read. Usually I only read them if there's little else around. (Take them on holiday & you have to read them or nothing).

With the book's publication now getting pretty close, I thought it was high time this thread was bumped! (The book is exceptionally good from what I've read, by the way - and here, for those of you who perhaps haven't seen it yet, is Richard Marson talking about the book at length.)

Potentially the best, and the saddest read of the year, if the interview's anything to go by.

I'll have to get this for my e-reader... unless it turns up in any bookstores in Qatar. :/
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'm uncomfortable with the suggestion that the book will be quite sordid. I just don't think we need to know how many young men he slept with.

The book sounds a lot worse than even I was thinking...

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/03/10/jn-t...turner-review/

Brace yourselves for Doctor Who's first sex scandall.