Default Recording the Commentaries

Here's a great article from SFX: http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/04/18/doct...-commentaries/

I've thoroughly enjoyed most of the commentaries. Only a few have been a challenge down the years (The Daemons recently stumped us)... but what about you? Which ones have you liked best? Do you listen to them at all?

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I do try to. I really enjoyed Peter Purves commentating on The Gunfighters. A good set of tails to tell, and defending Hartnell to the hilt!

I found the Four to Doomsday commentary more fun than the actual thing, and was very revealing about what was going on backstage at the time.

Earthshock was pretty good too - it is a bit like the Davison cast gets together and actually talks to each other. I remember the Genesis of the Daleks one, people were a bit subdued.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    You can tell how out of love I am with this magazine if I post this ...

Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

The Davison commentaries and the Colin Baker ones are always entertaining. Davison especially so as he usually does his homework. I agree with Mike about Four to Doomsday. I enjoyed it far more with the commentary. I haven't really listened to many others. The worst ones have been any with Philip Hinchcliffe on them. You think he should be interesting and maybe he is, but he just comes across as very dull. The Daleks Masterplan episode on the Lost in Time set was notable for having participants who couldn't remember anything about the episode including poor old Kevin Stoney. Still Peter Purves makes up for it!
    And for some reason I find commentaries with Eric Saward fascinating probably because I find him a fascinating character. Its obvious he's still incredibly bitter even now after all these years.

The Trial of A Timelord commentary with Eric on his own was a bit of a classic. Bitter!

I was interested to hear that they do actually get them to re-record bits if there are factual errors and that they get a few extra lines to round things off. It always sounded to me like they started with the opening credits and kept them rolling until it all finished.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

My personal favourites are the Letts/Manning/Dicks commentaries.

Barry was always interesting and had almost total recall in great detail about his time on the show, and because of his varied roles he could give input on lots of different levels. Katy Manning is bonkers, obviously, but passionate about her time on DW and it always shows - I can even forgive her occasional silly voice because of her incredible laugh which always makes me smile. Terrance may trot out the same old anecdotes most of the time but I like his impish sense of humour.