Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Longest opening TV sequence

I was watching Dad's Army today, and I thought to myself "this title sequence is going on a bit"

But what is the longest that you can remember? Thunderbirds went on for ages, what with its countdown, "coming up this episode" sequence (which I always used to close my eyes for as I didn't want to spoil the surprise) and then main titles.

The Dallas title sequence used to go on for ages as there were so many "stars" to show on that split triple screen set up.

And then there was DS9. Was it the dreary music that made it seem to go on for ever, or was it genuinely a long sequence?

Other nominations?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    I was watching Dad's Army today, and I thought to myself "this title sequence is going on a bit"

But what is the longest that you can remember? Thunderbirds went on for ages, what with its countdown, "coming up this episode" sequence (which I always used to close my eyes for as I didn't want to spoil the surprise) and then main titles.

The Dallas title sequence used to go on for ages as there were so many "stars" to show on that split triple screen set up.

And then there was DS9. Was it the dreary music that made it seem to go on for ever, or was it genuinely a long sequence?

Other nominations?
    The Simpsons' new one can go on for a fair old while these days, when it's shown in full and they've a long couch gag (made worse if it's not funny / one you've seen before).

Twin Peaks had a ridiculously long one too, but as I loved the music (and imagery) used it's never bothered me.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Most of the Star Treks after Next Gen were too long. I think it makes a difference not having the voice overs.

Hmmm - we could have a whole thread on just series opening credits.

Going beyond just "long" are there some favourites as well? When I think of credit sequences some of my favourite were probably,
    * Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy
    * Star Cops
    * Outrageous Fortune (we actually get annoyed if wife fast forwards)
    * Almighty Johnsons (helps to have a good tune Star Trek Enterprise)
    * Farscape

Actually when you look at all of the above, having a tune you really enjoy is really important.

What always gets funny is how part way through their runs The A-Team, Quantum Leap and DS9 all tried to "jazz up" their theme tune.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Theme tunes disastrously "jazzed up" is another thread too :-)

I seem to remember Battle Of The Planets intro went on for ages.

Yeah but the Battle of the Planets titles were ace! They were so exciting, helped by that wonderfully bombastic voice over.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

"Five together, acting as one"

I think the titles to The Prisoner go on a bit don't they - we get the replay of the resignation & kidnap, then a bit of waking up, then the "you're in the village" spiel, then a bit of giant white ball action...

Dedicated .... inseparable ..... INVINCIBLE!!

It's great I tell you. All that stirring music, all that action, all that jumping around.

Dare I say it, but the colour Diana Rigg Avengers episode titles, stylish and wonderful as they are do go on a bit too long...

I agree about The Prisoner. Especially the first episode which has a super-long extended version of the opening titles! Though as it's a two-part mini-drama in itself, it's not so bad.

I also agree about the 'COLOR' Diana Rigg episodes of The Avengers. There's the introduction, then the endless drum-roll, the age waiting for those glasses to clink, before the titles start properly. They could have missed all of that section out, really.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I have to disagree with you there Si / Steve (what a surprise!) Without that intro you wouldn't get that wonderful look from Emma just after she's popped Steed's cork :-0

It's exactly the right length for me. And the title sequence is okay too ;-)

That is a good point, but they're still a bit too long!

Twin Peaks
    The Prisoner
    The colour Diana Rigg Avengers

and.....................

Game Of Thrones

I love it when the title sequence of Game of Thrones is slightly extended to feature extra locations that are new to that week's episode. That said I think it's been the same every week of season two so far IIRC?

They may not have been the longest but I loved the opening titles to Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. The tunnel effect over the slightly sinister music and then bang! cheesy music and Dallas-esque type glitzy titles.

The opening credits for the original Battlestar Galactica always seemed ridiculously long to me.

And seconded on DS9 and Voyager. Don't agree with Enterprise, though!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    They may not have been the longest but I loved the opening titles to Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. The tunnel effect over the slightly sinister music and then bang! cheesy music and Dallas-esque type glitzy titles.
    That's one of my favourites too, and I love the theme tune - there's a track by The Delgado's on The Great Eastern that I'm convinced is heavily influenced by it...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Don't agree with Enterprise, though!
    Enterprise just seems longer because of the shocking amount of pain that it puts the viewer in.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I quite like the Voyager ones. At least it had a wonderful theme, unlike DS9 and Ennerprise.

Am I the only person in the world who actually liked the Enterprise theme!?

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

My dad liked it when he found out it was sung by Russell Watson. Otherwise...

No, I liked it too Ant. I often find myself humming it in fact...

If we can be as free with the term "opening credits" as certain US shows are, I do find it at best distracting - I'll quote NCIS at random as an example - when the guest cast, director, tribes of producers, associate producers and executive producers etc. stream across the bottom of the screen for what seems to be a third of the entire episode.

I think the McCoy Doctor Who sequence has to be in the running. Almost twice as long as any other Who title sequence, and without the excuse of a whole list of cast credits or previews of the episode's action....

Almost twice as long as any other Who title sequence
    is it REALLY?!!! I never noticed! I suppose it features the creation of the galaxy right up to the present day, that sort of thing can be quite time-consuming.

when the guest cast, director, tribes of producers, associate producers and executive producers etc. stream across the bottom of the screen for what seems to be a third of the entire episode.
    I agree - that can be very distracting and suck you right out of the drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I suppose it features the creation of the galaxy right up to the present day, that sort of thing can be quite time-consuming.