Default Missing Episodes: is that it?

The last time I asked this question, two previously-missing episodes showed up, bringing the total tally of missing episodes of Doctor Who down to 106 (from 108) within less than six months.

So, in the hope that I'm tempting fate the same way I apparently did last time...

...do you think that there are any other episodes that we currently believe to be missing still out there in any form? Do you think that they'll be recovered? Or do you think we should just give up, and be content that the vast majority of Doctor Who still exists?

And, finally, do you think that I'm having another Ian Levine moment?

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Pip Madley suggested one boozed up night that we really ought to break into Ian Levine's house and turn if over, as he's convinced he's holding onto something on the sly ... just so no-one else can see it.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

If anyone finds the address of his Fray Bentos tin-shaped underground bunker, I'll send The Lads round. Even if all he's got is Frazer Hines in suspended animation, I'm sure someone round here has a use for him...

By all means, Anthony, tempt fate to your heart's content. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if something else turns up. If anyone round here's hoarding The Web of Fear though, consider yourself warned -just remember whose birthday it is on Monday...

You know, Ian Levine's really not hoarding any missing episodes.

I suspect there are episodes out there, somewhere - with someone who either doesn't know their value, or else just doesn't know they even have them. Unfortunately, the more time goes on, the more the chances of finding these people before they die and their collections are consigned to the local landfill diminish, I suspect.

But we should never give up hope!

Do you suspect there is any fan out there thats hoarding something 'just for them'?

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk 2
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I'd be surprised nowadays if there's any hoarding going on - human nature would suggest that he or she would at least want to show it to a few select friends, to show off... and once someone has seen it, the risk of the whisper spreading is high.

Either way, whatever else we may think of him, I'm sure Mr Levine isn't hoarding any - he's always been, I believe, very generous in terms of any rare material he has, I can't see him sitting on some missing episodes.

Will any more turn up? I'm sure some will, but as with almost all the discoveries so far it will be most likely quite by chance, not through any 'logical' dealings with foreign TV stations and the like. Zel's working in the local eBay shop in town, and I've already said to her, if any film cans should come in with "Doctor Who" on the label to let me know...

I believe there is more to come.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    human nature would suggest that he or she would at least want to show it to a few select friends
    There is a fatal flaw there. You're assuming they have any friends.

I can't help thinking there has to be some Dennis Brent type out there. Fandom's too full of wierdo collectors who'd think sharing something would be wrong as it's "just for their own private enjoyment".

Well not quite "full", but these wierdos do exist on the fringes of any fandom. Except maybe for Crime Traveller.

If there are such 'ultra-insular' fans, then by your logic they won't be ones that anyone has heard of. If they shun the forums and stay away from Doctor Who related social events, then how would anyone know about them?

Shhh! Secret fans!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

You do habe such people in the art world. Is it so difficult to imagine fandom does not have a few too?

I know Byron Zunestra would not show his Power of the Daleks tapes to just anyone ... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I'd be surprised nowadays if there's any hoarding going on - ...

over on G.B the on going missing episode thread there is a guy who is absolutely convinced that the BBC have found more missing episodes and are holding on to them he has kept this up ever since the recent find yet refusses to provide any evidence to back up his opinion. Needless to say he's not done himself any favorsd as espite everybody on the thread (including people like Richard's Bignal and Moldesworth and Paul Vanezis) saying the BBC have nothing and have no reason/point in holding onto anything he stubbornly reffuses to accept it.

if anything dose turn up again then at most it will only be the odd episode or two the chances of a large number of missing episodes being found in one go are very remote indeed. We have to accept the word of the foriegn tv stations that they have searched their archives and having found nothing are only hope is now with either privat collectors or persons who worked at the BBC or other stations and liberated the odd episode from the skip.
    Last edited by Larry; 23rd Apr 2012 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    over on G.B the on going missing episode thread there is a guy who is absolutely convinced that the BBC have found more missing episodes and are holding on to them he has kept this up ever since the recent find yet refusses to provide any evidence to back up his opinion. Needless to say he's not done himself any favorsd as espite everybody on the thread (including people like Richard's Bignal and Moldesworth and Paul Vanezis) saying the BBC have nothing and have no reason/point in holding onto anything he stubbornly reffuses to accept it.
    I don't want to use the term lunatic fringe, but I daresay that there are those who've been spoilt rotten by the arrival of all of Tomb and all of The War Games in one lump, and expect any odd episodes to come in the "family reunion package" - the Give me Marco Polo And Give It to Me Now! type. Well, we know that it doesn't always work like that. Not to rub it in, but in a perfect world nothing would have been junked in the first place, but what can you do?

Frankly, I prefer to convince myself that no more exist.

That way, if no more 60s episodes ever come back, I'm not disappointed. But, if some do show up, then I'm pleasantly surprised!

It's not as if I'm someone who knows private film collectors, goes to film fairs or anything like that. I'm extremely unlikely to stumble across one.

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I prefer to have a dream. If it's wrong, it can never be dissproven, and I'd rather go forever thinking something could be discovered one day, than live with the cold, depressing truth that they are all gone forever.

if anything dose turn up again then at most it will only be the odd episode or two the chances of a large number of missing episodes being found in one go are very remote indeed
    Why? If there's an unsearched TV vault somewhere, surely there's just as likely to be 30 episodes as 3?

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I

Why? If there's an unsearched TV vault somewhere, surely there's just as likely to be 30 episodes as 3?

Si.

well the recent rumours concerning Siera Leone that despite them apparantly saying no at least 20 missing Hartnell, episodes were sitting in their vaults as late as the mid 1990's dose offer some hope. Africa probably holds the best chance of finding anything big but as we have said before I think unless the BBC actually send some one out to countries that bought episodes of Doctor Who to search the archives for themselves I don't think we'll ever be able to say with 100% certainty that nothing more exists.