Default What are you hoping for next season?

It's going to get me demerrit points - but I've not really enjoyed too much of Matt Smiths tenure. I've found myself a little bored, switched off at times, although I've found many episodes I've liked.

Generally I've found what's annoyed me has been the overuse of story arcs over individual stand-up episodes. Esp as the "death of the Tardis" and the "death of the Doctor" have felt such similar arcs.

And overuse of "we'll put the dead person into this plot device, and they come out alive again". Rory died. Amy died. The Tardis died and the Doctor died ...

Oh and I know Moffat said he doesn't like to overuse the Daleks, but a proper story that doesn't relaunch a toy range would be nice.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Matt Smith is an excellent Doctor, so I hope the next season will give him some decent scripts to work with with.

Yeah - I've liked his acting, just felt stories have been way too ark heavy.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I've not had a problem with the arcs (except in one instance, the Angels two-parter). Generally speaking, the appearance of the crack or of Madame Kovarian have been very slight and haven't spoiled the rest of what was otherwise an entirely standalone episode. The ratio is in fact probably very similar to that of The X-Files or Battlestar Galactica or something, where approximately a quarter or a third of a series is given over to episodes that deal with the ongoing story, and the vast majority stands by itself.

I can't honestly see the next series being greatly different, regardless of what Mr Moffat says. It's bound to at the very least end in a way that's tied in to what we've already had (The Fall of the Eleventh and all that), with Rory and Amy (and presumably River Song)'s departure also geared into what we've seen before in some way.

What I'd like, on the other hand...?

More of the madness, fun and adventure that we saw in Let's Kill Hitler and The Wedding of River Song please, Mr Moffat. Doctor Who as exhilarating entertainment, yes please.

It's not neccessarily the arc's I have the problem with, more the writing, which has been sloppy and/or lacking.

well I've thoroughly enjoyed Matt 's first two seasons so i'm more than happy to just see more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    It's going to get me demerrit points - but I've not really enjoyed too much of Matt Smiths tenure. I've found myself a little bored, switched off at times, although I've found many episodes I've liked.

Generally I've found what's annoyed me has been the overuse of story arcs over individual stand-up episodes. Esp as the "death of the Tardis" and the "death of the Doctor" have felt such similar arcs.

And overuse of "we'll put the dead person into this plot device, and they come out alive again". Rory died. Amy died. The Tardis died and the Doctor died ...

Oh and I know Moffat said he doesn't like to overuse the Daleks, but a proper story that doesn't relaunch a toy range would be nice.
    I couldn't agree more, apart from the Daleks which I'd be happy never to hear from again.

I'd like more stand-alone stories, which we apparently getting anyway, so I'm looking forward to the next series.

I agree with Ant, I like not to see the Daleks for some years; but may be see a more menacing Cyberman attack. Something more scary along the lines of people being snatched to increase their numbers similar to the abbreviated version we got in Closing Time.

This could even become a subtle story arc where people are noted to disappear but it appears that the individual case is related to the story wherein the disappearance is noted but in turns out to not be & is indeed the Cybermen.

Sorry, I just think the Cybermen are scarier then a bunch of pepper pots, ok?

My series 7 wish-list:

Mostly stand-alone stories (from the hyperbole coming from the Moff, that's that one granted)
    No River (unlikely, sadly)
    A perfectly normal companion with a normal background, who doesn't fall in love with the Doctor and has nothing ridiculous happen to her (unlikely)
    Give the Daleks a rest (not happening)
    Another Neil Gaiman episode!
    More emphasis on Matt Smith as the Doctor (given Moffat's recent comments, unlikely)

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

They gave the Daleks a rest last year. I'm happy to see them back this year, as long as they used properly (and the new Dalek paradigm is wiped out!)

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'm hoping for potatoes and turnips.

Si.

A Dalek story where they're not trying to take over the universe, just a good story on a smaller scale.

A proper Cyberman story.

More new monsters and villains that can become proper classics and come back for more.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'm hoping for Clyde Langer in the main series.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I'm hoping for Clyde Langer in the main series.
    And Rani!

There hasn't been a Dalek story (as opposed to a story in which Daleks appear) in two-and-a-half years, it's high time they came back!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    My series 7 wish-list:

Mostly stand-alone stories (from the hyperbole coming from the Moff, that's that one granted)
    No River (unlikely, sadly)
    A perfectly normal companion with a normal background, who doesn't fall in love with the Doctor and has nothing ridiculous happen to her (unlikely)
    Give the Daleks a rest (not happening)
    Another Neil Gaiman episode!
    More emphasis on Matt Smith as the Doctor (given Moffat's recent comments, unlikely)
    Give or take the Daleks, I needn't say any more!

People die. Properly. No coming back. With the trauma of loss in the same episode. We've all had it at some point. It isn't far out Sci-Fi to contemplate mortality. But maybe not a whole series, though!
    One episode where the Doctor crosses the line and for a few minutes seems like the most evil being in the Universe. Suddenly the lines between good and evil become blurred. But all back to normal next episode.
    This one's mainly for me, but an episode of the most boring aliens ever realised. They don't plot invasions. They aren't planning on being supreme ruler, they aren't being manipulated. They just... exist and potter about. Alan Bennett's "Talking Heads" in space. It could work!
    I don't care if Buffy did it first, I'd like to see an all musical Doctor Who episode.
    I don't even care if Red Dwarf did it as well, how about an episode of claymation? (Besides, it was just a sketch with Red Dwarf)

Other than that, same old, same old cheers!