3. Walkers
    4. Hovis
    5. Cadbury Dairy Milk
    6. Nescafe
    7. Andrex
    8. Lucozade
    9. Kingsmill
    10. Robinsons
    What, if anything, does this tell us about the nation?

Si.

It tells us that we eat & drink a LOT & need something to clean ourselves with afterwards!

I think it demonstrates the power of advertising.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    It tells us that we eat & drink a LOT & need something to clean ourselves with afterwards!
    Yes, i often have a Lucozade bath after i've eaten too much fried Andrex.

That was silly wasn't it? Good.

Apparently it's a very pro-health Top 10 - even the crappy stuff increased sales through advertising a "healthy" angle (less salt, low fat etc.). But it's worrying that Coke and Chocolate are among the things we buy the most. You'd think the "treat" foods would be bought occasionally, not be top of the shopping list.

Si.

It's certainly interesting that more Coke was bought than the rather more essential Andrex.

and with 3 of the top 10 brands being bread we certainly go through a lot of bread in a year...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    It's certainly interesting that more Coke was bought than the rather more essential Andrex.
    You can reasonably go through a bottle of Coke far more quickly than would be reasonable to go through a pack of Andrex though.

And I don't buy Andrex on the basis of its taste.

As soon as I realised Coke was dissolving my teeth last year after a chat with the dentist I decided to switch to water....I've never looked back...

Captain Tancredi Guest

Coca-Cola are very good with their sponsorship, placement and so on so their product is very easy to find. Even if you think you don't drink it, you probably buy a number of cans/bottles a year if you're out on a hot day or in sandwich shop meal deals and so on. The same probably applies with Walkers and Dairy Milk. Three different brands of bread also suggests that we're probably still more conventional in our eating habits than we'd like to think- bread is really just bulk to fill you up.

Of the ten I can only think of four that I've definitely bought- I tend to buy own brand toilet paper and bread (Morrisons Farmhouse Gold is gorgeous) and wouldn't drink Nescafe to save my life.
    Last edited by Captain Tancredi; 21st Feb 2007 at 6:16 PM.

It tells us that the nation is full of flatulent lard-arses with manky teeth.*

* See also Celebrity Big Brother for further proof. Or just spend five minutes down your local High Street.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    As soon as I realised Coke was dissolving my teeth last year after a chat with the dentist I decided to switch to water....I've never looked back...
    I never drink fizzy drinks at all. (Well, apart from Lager)
    I'm a Robinsons Squash man.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Actually, when you think about it, Robinsons must make the vast majority of their sales over a 4-5 month period in the summer, during which they probably overtake several of the other brands.

That is of course assuming that we're talking about the barley water and cordial people- I don't think the brewery in Stockport has quite got to that level yet.

Lots of families must buy squash all year round - I know we do.

"Warburtons" up there is a little unlikely isn't it? I thought that was the make of cheap old bread you got in little Budgeons shops - they outsell Hovis??!?

Si.

Coca-Cola have half the fans of football league clubs buying at least a bottle a day at the moment with their 'buy a player' promotion. I still think it's enough of a brand to top that table even if they cut all their advertising and promotions for a year, but that particular promotion is particularly inspired. Everyone is helping their club, all the clubs are selling Coke, it's very clever...

The bread brands are interesting - I would have thought there are so many of them that none would be a real top seller, but I suppose between the four of us in may house we probably get through best part of 8 loaves a week (most of that's Sean, and we all love toast), so it's a huge market.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Lots of families must buy squash all year round - I know we do.
    Me too. I can get through 2 or 3 bottles a week! Especially since i've been exercising.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    ) and wouldn't drink Nescafe to save my life.
    depends which one it is if it's just the plain original Nescafe, then i'd certainly agree with you as I find the stuff so sickly tasting....though I'm not sure if that's more to do with the water in the urns where I work..

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    "Warburtons" up there is a little unlikely isn't it? I thought that was the make of cheap old bread you got in little Budgeons shops - they outsell Hovis??!?

Si.
    Warburtons make lots of special breads as well - we don't buy their normal stuff, but Sam is so addicted to their fruity bread with orange that we have a freezer shelf just for storing that.

Interesting stuff, but I'm always surprised how brand led a lot of people are - for most of those items I buy non-branded stuff which is just as good (even Cola). Only Nescafe coffee, Kellogs cereals and Heinz baked beans and ketchup are the things I won't compromise on.
    Bazinga !

Captain Tancredi Guest

Looking at that list again, what strikes me is that some of the brands relate to one or two products while others are a range. Walkers presumably covers a dozen or so different flavours of crisps- but does it cover all their snacks as well? Similarly, presumably Coca-Cola covers all their variants as well as the Diet Coke versions. Would also be interesting to know whether Cadbury's Dairy Milk is based on sales before or after they rebranded everything like Caramel and Whole Nut as Dairy Milk.

Pip Madeley Guest

1. Coca-Cola - only when I have whiskey
    2. Warburtons - rarely
    3. Walkers - best choice
    4. Hovis - regularly
    5. Cadbury Dairy Milk - not really
    6. Nescafe - no
    7. Andrex - I don't buy the loo roll, dad does
    8. Lucozade - rarely, if it's cheap
    9. Kingsmill - regularly
    10. Robinsons - yes, I love my squash

Wayne Guest

1. Coca-Cola - Rare to never.
    2. Warburtons - I don't each much bread, but it's Warburtons Malted Granary when i do.
    3. Walkers - Walkers are the best. I used to eat them all the time, but i've only had one bag crisps since last May. It's funny, i don't miss them anymore.
    4. Hovis - (see No.2)
    5. Cadbury Dairy Milk - Not specifically, but for chocolate in general, it's a similiar case as No.3. Except i still miss chocolate sometimes, & still have the odd bar, but only very occasionally.
    6. Nescafe - I hate coffee. All coffee. (Except coffee flavoured cake & chocolate)
    7. Andrex - I get Tesco's Luxury.
    8. Lucozade - Actually, i love Lemon Lucozade, & i buy those little bottles for when i've got a hangover.
    9. Kingsmill - See No.2.
    10. Robinsons - I drink loads of it. Much more so than Tea, actually. Lemon, Fruit & Barley, Orange & Pinapple, Orange & Mango, Apple & Blackcurrant, Summer Fruits..... I should have shares! I've tried cheaper brands but they are inferior creatures.
    Last edited by Wayne; 22nd Feb 2007 at 2:55 PM.

It's true to say that Robinsons Fruit and Barley is the King of Squash.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I think I may be allergic to some squash, particuarly if its strong or has lemon in. My chest starts itching like mad when I have it. I've never been able to work out why.

Si.

Wayne Guest

I'll rub some balm on it for you, if you like.

I'm feeling coquette-ish today.