Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Can you imagine if we were all internetted up in 1964 - after the huge roller-coaster ride of season 1, and then the hype for the brand new season.... and it starts with Planet of Giants, of which probably the kindest thing that can be said is "at least it's short"!!!
    It would only have been a few weeks after the previous season had finished though, so might have seemed a bit less of an event. Wouldn't have been time for a huge load of anticipation to have grown, probably.

"Too much Doctor Who!" I'd have been saying. "Sack Lambert! She's destroying the franchise!"

Si.

Hi Logo, good to 'see' you.

It would only have been a few weeks after the previous season had finished though, so might have seemed a bit less of an event. Wouldn't have been time for a huge load of anticipation to have grown, probably.
    Maybe - although I remember having a bit of a moan that there was a week off between Lazarus and 42 during season 3, so if there was no anticipation of the new series, there might still have been a lot of moaning: "Why are we having to go six weeks without any Doctor Who, BBC? There's literally no excuse for it, WE PAY OUR LICENCE FEES YOU KNOW!!!!" etc, etc.

Plsnet Of Giants may not be the most dynamic of stories,although it's not too hard to see why it could quite easily have been the very first story...it also sets the template for the Pertwee era later on,as the threats and dangers such as a cat are part of everyday life...clearly the sets are the best thing about the show but I do like the added touches,such as Hartnell looking grimy as if he has been in a sink...and the sense of physical exhaustion portrayed by the regular cast

The reconstruction is good but not perfect,sure it jars seeing no constant flow in terms of video movement,and there is an obvious shot of the Doctor that gets repeated about 12 times,the impersonators do the job they are meant to do... impersonate and if you can suspend your disbelief its fascinating viewing at a glimpse of Doctor Who history that never was

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    To be honest, I'm not fussed about watching the reconstruction of the story as it was. It's dull as it is without another 25 minutes of it!
    When you watch it, I want to you to imagine replace Ian, Barbara and Susan with Steed, Cathy and Venus.

You're welcome!

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

I have to make something of an apology to "Planet of the Giants" and eat a little humble pie. Episode 2 is quite a bit better than Episode 1, largely because it focusses on action. Also the sets just get better - the giant sink and drainpipe are just incredible. As Hartnell goes into the pipe he quotes Girls Aloud, which is a first.

Plus we get Jaqueline Hill giving us more fine acting, how refreshingly human that the trouble stems from someone simply not wanting to admit they have done something stupid.

Episode 3 sits somewhere between the two. When you realise it was butchered from two other episodes, it doesn't half notice - shots lurch into each other and you can practically see the scissors bearing down every few minutes. Dr Science leaves again at the end of Part 3, with lots of rubbish about the poison molecules not working as well when miniaturised. Also I'm pretty sure four inch-tall people couldn't light a match, due to safety reasons it takes quite a bit of effort when you are full-size (or is it just me? It's not the easiest thing to do is it?).

Ultimately it's odd that in a 'miniature people' story there is absolutely no drama with the travellers getting captured, or even discovered, by the "Giants". Forrester and co finish the story unaware that the tiny TARDIS crew were ever there.

Also best bit of Hartnell violence ever, as he sets light to an aerosol and then watches it EXPLODE IN SOMEBODY'S FACE. And they said Colin Baker was violent.

Oh, and the reconstructed Episodes 3 and 4 are... extraordinary.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure four inch-tall people couldn't light a match, due to safety reasons it takes quite a bit of effort when you are full-size (or is it just me? It's not the easiest thing to do is it?).
    It isn't easy to light a match these days because we have "safety matches" but there are also matches called "strike anywhere matches" that are easier to light & do light on any rough surface, friction being the ignition.
    These were more common years ago (having both parents as smokers there used to be a lot of matches around when I was young).

Quote Originally Posted by stuartdg View Post
    The reconstruction is good but not perfect,sure it jars seeing no constant flow in terms of video movement,and there is an obvious shot of the Doctor that gets repeated about 12 times,the impersonators do the job they are meant to do... impersonate and if you can suspend your disbelief its fascinating viewing at a glimpse of Doctor Who history that never was

actually quite liked the recon and have to say from what I saw of it I reckon this could of worked as a 4 parter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    It isn't easy to light a match these days because we have "safety matches" but there are also matches called "strike anywhere matches" that are easier to light & do light on any rough surface, friction being the ignition.
    These were more common years ago (having both parents as smokers there used to be a lot of matches around when I was young).
    Strike anywhere matches were great. I've seen people light them using the edge of their fingernail, or their teeth...

I've seen whole picket lines made up of strike anywhere matches. Oh, those union hotheads!

Just spotted a continuity error in the recon. There's a close up shot of Barbara writing down some notes with a pencil on a notepad. That pencil has a barcode on it......

Judging by the telephone exchange this is definitely not set in the "future", so it can't be explained by saying the story came from later than 1964.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk