Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

It is, isn't it? Brendan did a great job on that and the banners

Next episode will be up on Sunday night!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Next episode will be up on Sunday night!
    Excellent!

I would like to thank EVERYONE for their words about the first episode- even if it seems like I've confused people! Mind you, I think that's good for an Episode 1.

Just a quick notice that Episode 2 will be available to download at 6pm tomorrow, as I will be watching a play at 7pm. You lucky, lucky people!

6.00pm
    DOCTOR WHO
    The new series continues starring
    BRENDAN JONES and SIMON HART
    In
    INVADERS FROM OXFORD

What part has Tom played in the Master’s plot?
    Whatever happened to Martina Walden?
    Why does the Doctor need to be careful of the canapés?

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

I've heard it... it's great!

Just a reminder that Episode 2 will be downloadable from this thread at 6pm tonight. WOO!

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

The threat of canapes is always enough to send me scurrying behind the sofa - looking forward to 6 o'clock!!

Listening now!

Dear me, I think I almost needed a lie down after that but nonetheless very good especially the interaction between the Doctor and the Alt Master and warm welcome to the Planet Skaro canon for Prime Minister Cartwright...Francis Urqhart would've been proud.

Oh and loving the Gelmari!

"A rather nasty breed of flesh-eating octopi" - I've just (a week late!) twigged the Paradise Towers reference!!

What a fast-moving episode, like Richard I felt almost worn out by the end! If I've still not 'got' what the Master's plan is, do I need to listen to it again, or is there still explanation to come? I sort of feel there's probably been enough clues, so maybe I'm just being a bit, sniff, dumb.

Jason was particularly good I thought, being particularly mean to poor Rob's friendly Gelmari - that was actually quite a harrowing little scene, so well done to all concerned.

Nice Moffat-y style 'change direction' cliffhanger, with the Master thwarted but he and the Doctor suddenly now facing, to coin a phrase, the trial of a time lord...

A couple of times, I must confess, I couldn't quite follow what was going on - with the teleport shenanigans, wouldn't teleporting out all the Gelmari from the ship have meant there were enough 'openings' for the Master to beam back at that point? And I wasn't quite sure why the detailed explanation of the fatal 'light show' that accompanies that particular brand of teleporting?

One other thing that struck me while I was listening, there were a few places where the music felt a bit 'lift music-y' and didn't really help the mood of the scenes they were over. Although I did find myself humming that snatch of music afterwards, so not all bad!!

Looking forward to part 3!!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post

A couple of times, I must confess, I couldn't quite follow what was going on - with the teleport shenanigans, wouldn't teleporting out all the Gelmari from the ship have meant there were enough 'openings' for the Master to beam back at that point? And I wasn't quite sure why the detailed explanation of the fatal 'light show' that accompanies that particular brand of teleporting?

Looking forward to part 3!!
    That one is completely my fault. The Master is working his TARDIS and doesn't notice until the Doctor and co beam out, but my line reading rendered that unclear. I was meant to say, "He'll be busy for a few minutes trying to power up his TARDIS."

The light show provides an explanation as to how the Doctor and Tom arrive unobserved, and only occurs at the station end (similar to the differing TP effects in Blake's 7).

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Another excellent episode!
    I will need a re-listen as I think I missed some bits along the way, but that's my own fault for concentrating too much on the music.

On the subject of the music I'm still enjoying it. I do see what the other Andrew C means about part of it seeming a bit like lift music but I suspect that may be because the composer didn't have a chance to do a complete score and so may have been a little restricted in his choices of music - I'm just guessing, but I suspect that may be the reason.
    I'm thinking of finding out what equipment he uses to record with as he seems to be able to get a better quality of recording than I am able to manage at present!

Back to the story; it may seem obvious but once again I have to single out Jason and Brendan for their excellent performances. Jason's Master is such a great character (and far more Mastery than the new series effort)!
    I said it last week but I love the many different elements to Brendan's Doctor, although his Doctor doesn't remind me of any past Doctor overall, I do think that the way in which he changes the delivery of his lines is reminiscent of Tom Baker. To go from shouting to whispering in the same breath - that kind of thing!

Really good stuff everyone!

Just listened to the two eps - perfect Sunday morning listening! Well done to all concerned! The story strikes the right balance between comedy and drama. Loved Geltommy and Geldoccy :-) Brendan's doctor has certainly hit the ground running and definitely has shades of Tom Baker about him. Jason's Master is wonderfully wicked. Professor Tom is also a great character displaying the right level of exasperation with the Doctor at times. Well done Si - perfectly pitched!

I certainly hope the Doctor's reference to Little Red Riding Hood gets a fully-fledged story of its own later in the season :-)

Never mind "Speak like a pirate" day - we need "Speak like a gelmari" day.

Fancy dress optional :-)

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    I certainly hope the Doctor's reference to Little Red Riding Hood gets a fully-fledged story of its own later in the season :-)
    I thought that was a reference back to the season four story Once Upon A Time Lord (well worth a listen if you've not heard it yet Dave)

Quote Originally Posted by brandynigma View Post
    Listening now!

Lots to recommend the final part but I'll pick out a couple of highlights for now...

Brilliant performance from Si Hunt as the sinister Premier Cartwright. Really hope we get to hear more from him.

Love the explanation for the Doctor's new outfit

Great final scene between the Doctor and Tom on board the TARDIS. Really love the progression in this pairing's relationship.

I've FINALLY started to listen to this story with Episode One last night.

It's really, really good! It feels just about as far away from Paul's era as possible which IMHO is exactly how it should be (obviously I mean in terms of 'difference' rather than 'better or worse' ).

My only picky complaint would be that whilst the incidental music is excellent, it is a little lacking through the story, though on blance that does give the listening experience more immediacy.

Looking forward to Episode Two!

A great opening story, and a great set of aliens (rather than monsters) - I really enjoyed this. Brendon and Jason making a great sparring double act, and in the best DW traditions Tom is a very different companion compared to Nick, Rob and Ed.
    Star performance goes to Si Hunt as Evil schemeing git PM , and surely ripe for a re-match. I also really liked how the story developed over the 3 episodes, with a regular switching of the relevent threats and plots all linking together.
    Just a couple of niggles - I found the Gelmari court scenes quite difficult with the vocal effects, which was a pity as having seen the script I knew there were some good funny lines in those bits. And while it was great to have purpose-composed music most of the time sometimes it seemed a bit jarring in tone with the scene.

Looking forward to a great season of PS DW over the summer !
    Bazinga !

I've only heard Episode 1 so far as I need to return to work/commute to listen to the rest, but I'll be posting my comments when I'm finished. I have however just seen a couple of comments about my performance in this one so thanks! I didn't know I was in it until Richard mentioned it to me the other day so I can't wait to see how I sound!

Si.

I was about to say, "But Si, the part was written for you!" and then I remembered the title has changed at least twice since then!

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

I've been following the thread with interest while I've been away and want to say thank you for all the lovely comments about it. I've been working on it for the best part of a year, longer if you count how long ago it was myself and Brendan began chatting about the script, and with it being the one to launch the season and the new Doctor properly it was always going to be something special for me to make. I'm glad it's been so well received.

Thanks to everyone who said nice things about my performance as Tom. I tried very hard to make him seem grounded and real and different to Rob and Nick and Ed. I really like playing him and there is plenty more to be heard from Thomas Stirling yet!

And everyone else, they're all fantastic! The scenes between Jason and Brendan crackle with energy- the two of them have a great chemistry that really sizzle when they play off each other. Great stuff. Jason is so sinister and suave with it- I still can't quite believe the torture scene- so nasty and a scene I'm really proud of my production for.

As has been rightly pointed out, Si's Prime Minister Cartwright is fantastic. There's something about his self righteous stupidity that feels really dangerous and threatening. I'm hoping this isn't the last we've heard from him.

And Mina Harker- she gives Marty a real heart, and again we didn't hear enough from her. There's an interesting relationship building between her and the Master that would be great to hear more of.

But I think the star is Brendan as the Doctor. Different from Paul, of course, but still very much the Doctor. I really like his quiet moments with Tom, his grandstanding against the the Gelmari in the trial room and his heroics saving the Earth at the end. I'm so glad he's had so many lovely comments about his performance, because they're well deserved. We spent a lot of time shaping this Doctor and there's some great stuff coming up for him soon.
    Last edited by SiHart; 4th Jul 2012 at 9:22 PM.

Speaking as the writer of this, I had the unusual benefit of having the actors' voices in my head for most parts- myself, Simon, Jason, Mina Harker and SiHunt at least! That being said, everyone exceeded my wildest hopes in their portrayals. The aforementioned torture scene is a good example of this, with Jason, Emma and Steve all taking a moment of darkness and playing it pitch black.

One scene stands out in terms of translation though...

Tom's farewell to Cartwright was bourne out of desperation. It felt wrong to have Tom say nothing to Cartwright, but everything I came up with was essentially Tom just saying "Yeah!" at the end of the Doctor's speech.

So, Tom became handy with his fists.

The joyful thing about this is that Si has made this aspect present every time Tom gets annoyed. You can sense in his voice that when Tom gets frustrated, he's a few moments away from thumping someone- counterpointing his intellectual side perfectly.

I wrote the punch. Si used it to enhance the character.
    Last edited by SiHart; 4th Jul 2012 at 9:23 PM. Reason: Name removed after warning.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!