Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thank you! I'd like to pretend that it was all consciously thought out, but it's all a fluke!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I've now listened to Episode 2. It's all a lot to take in isn't it? I'd just like to say that Brendan's Doctor is very good and while it's often a job to keep track of what's happening, he has a breathless madness which I am enjoying. I like the Galamari and the vocal effects used, very good. The new theme is excellently chosen. Jason is superb as the Master but I'm confused if this is the Next Universe version or "our" Master in which case shouldn't he have mentioned the events of "The Next Universe"? It's odd the Doctor didn't mention anything either but maybe this is set some time later. I enjoyed Si's performance as Tom and there are some very witty lines.

I am surprised how pleased I was with my PM turn, I don't sound too bad do I? I look forward to hearing what I got up to in Episode 3. The cliffhanger seems to state that "There is only one punishment... Jeff" so I look forward to finding out who Jeff is and what kind of punishment he deals out.

Si.

Jason is superb as the Master but I'm confused if this is the Next Universe version or "our" Master in which case shouldn't he have mentioned the events of "The Next Universe"? It's odd the Doctor didn't mention anything either but maybe this is set some time later.
    It's an alternate version of the Master. I think this is something we should have stated explicitly in the story really as it seems to have been a bit obscured. I think it's one of those things that was clear to Brendan and myself from all the discussions we had about the story, but obviously we didn't make it clear to the listeners. Sorry about that. There are clues about the Doctor and the Master's telepathy being incompatible and te Mater's hints about Gallifrey, but I don't think we've made it absolutely clear. Sorry!

And yes Si, you're great!

Thanks Si! I think I must have been made great in post production as I don't remember thinking I was onto a winner! But I'm delighted if he/I have gone down well.

Si.

I think it's one of those situations where it all sounds a bit better when you're cut into the scenes and the lines are intercut with everyone else's. I always find it a bit odd playing the lines on my own without the others to bounce off so to speak.

Just to say I've finally got around to listening to this.

The beginning of epsisode 2 lost me (until the Dr explained that they were using personal perception filters) and at the beginning of episode 3 I started loosing track of all the treads - but just about managed to keep it all there.

I thoroughly enjoyed the story and I know you've all done this before and it sounded excellent!
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

You're in the next one Phil!

Si.

Glad you enjoyed the story Phil.

I've just listened to 'Invaders From Oxford'. Well done all at Planet Skaro! Brendan as the Doctor seems to have echoes of all the previous Doctors from Hartnell to McCoy. Thomas fits in as the companion almost as if he's been one before. The Master is great and Prime Minister Cartwright is a smashing villain (he's far too sure of himself not to try to get revenge on the Doctor). The only thing that I wasn't sure of was the Gelmari;the alien voice effects distorted some of the lines so much that I couldn't follow the dialogue. I had to listen to part 3 twice to get the gist of the courtroom scene. Otherwise great! 8/10

I'm surprised and delighted at the positive reaction for PM Cartright and I hope to be making some miracles for you very soon.

Si.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Junkyard- and plans are afoot for the return of Cartwright! Due to overrunning, a scene written but not recorded would have seen the PM plotting what to do when he next sees the Doctor...

Inspired by SiHart in the Nelson thread, I present the plot outline for the script which would become Invaders from Oxford. SOMEWHERE in Sydney exists the full three episode script, but I still remember the story pretty well. I wrote it when I was 16, so I'm not presenting this as a good story! It's merely a curiosity.

I can tell you now- I was planning to make this, and actually filmed the Doctor and Emily's first meeting. As such, there are no Gelmari!

Doctor Who: Lifeforce
    Episode 1

In a comprehensive school in Sydney, A-Level students Emily and Jerry finish classes for the day, and plan to spend their afternoon rehearsing for that evening's auditions for the Youth Theatre production of the Merchant of Venice.

Jerry returns to his classroom, having forgotten his copy of the script- but is transfixed by a large black box which wasn't there before. As a deafening noise fills his head, the door to the classroom slams shut.

In the school library, Emily investigates a strange noise in the office- and finds a short man in a green suit and purple shirt. He introduces himself as the Doctor, and offers to help her learn her lines. During all this time, a figure watches them from the shadows.

Later, as the Doctor cooks Emily and her friends dinner, he suffers a seizure, as if under a psychic attack. Sensing Emily is somehow connected to this, the Doctor tags along to the audition. Emily calls Jerry, who assures her that he is already at the theatre, and that he's looking forward to meeting the Doctor. Emily hadn't mentioned him...

At the theatre, the Doctor sneaks backstage whilst Emily's friends watch as she and Jerry perform the 'pound of flesh' scene. The Doctor calls for the intruder he saw in the library earlier to reveal themselves- she does so, in the form of Traken survivor Raneka. She reveals that a small enclave survived, and came to this planet to seek justice for the destruction of the Union. The Doctor realises that this justice and his earlier attack can only mean one thing, and rushes to the stage...

...where the Master - in Jerry's body - demands the pound of flesh from the Doctor, and throws Emily into the orchestra pit! The Master begins firing a device into the crowd of auditionees, who vanish into thin air. Emily's friends are not amongst those abducted.

The Doctor and the Master engage in a swordfight, only to realise that the swords are plastic replicas. Raneka overpowers the Master, as the Doctor makes to help Emily up.

However, the Master knocks down Raneka, grabbing her gun. He trains it on the Doctor, who turns to see the problem- taking the bullet to the chest, and falling with Emily back into the pit.

Raneka knocks the device from the Master's hand, using it to make him vanish. He's done his damage, however- the Doctor is dead...

Episode 2 coming soon...

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Finally gotten round to listening to this. No not because its a new chap in the title role!
    I enjoyed it but did feel a bit like my head was being bombarded for most of the 3 episodes. There was loads of stuff to try to get my head round, new Doctor, whole new cast, new universe and a mind boggling plot involving false invasions and fake histories, that frankly by the time the conclusion came round I was exhausted.
    The cast was brilliant though, especially Si's creepy Prime Minister. Brendan completely nailed it as the Doctor, managing to be very different from the previous one (who was he again?) whilst obviously still the same person (although a with a touch of Colin Baker). The Gelmari were a great creation with brilliant sound design.
    And it was noticeable that the overall tone managed to be different from the previous adventures. A bit more serious perhaps?

Anyway well done, I'm looking forward to The Nelson Identity.

Yay!

It's definitely a story to listen to more than once. Glad you enjoyed it, Paul!

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Always challenge your audience!

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the kind words about the Gelmari voices. I worked really hard to make them sound different to any other Doctor Who monsters.

They were really cool. It was one of those effects that could have distorted the actors voice but it didn't and thats kudos to you guys!

You know, I can't remember how Part Two of Lifeforce ended. I'll need to do the whole plot and look for the cliffhanger.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Finally listened to this over the last few days! Sorry it's taken me so long - I do plan to catch up before the season is over!

Firstly, Brendan's Doctor is treeeeemendous - I love what a contrast it is to Paul's very serene, easy going performance. I hate to do the 'the new Doctor reminded me of this Doctor!' thing, but, I thought the new Doctor had a lot of Colin Baker about him, albeit the nicer, lighter side of Colin Baker. You really feel like this is a new man, which is something I think is missing from the new series, where every Doctor has been more or less the same but gotten a bit more eccentric with each regeneration.

On a similar note, Si's new companion is a breath of fresh air after the more incompetent, comedic companions of the Monk era. After playing so many supporting characters over the years, it's nice to see Si have a regular role at last! I really enjoyed Tom's character; and look forward to seeing more of his travels with The Doctor. Like Ian and Barbera, his background should make him a perfect traveling companion!

As always, Jason's Master was excellent - although I was also confused about which Master he was supposed to be. It did seems as though the same story could have been told if he had just been the original Master. I loved his transformation into the decaying, Geoffrey Beevers-esque Master towards the end.

Special mention to Si's Prime Minister, who I didn't actually realize was him at first! There was nicely horrifying comedy moments when he continued to chomp through the Gelmari's young. I loved his final scene after being threatened by the Doctor, and how it sort of left his motives open to interpretation. Hope we see him again!

I really liked the Gelmari as an alien race, and I think they stand as the best developed and most 'real' of the PS aliens. I did find them a little hard to understand during the trial scenes though, which was a shame. Steve was great as the poor, tortured Izlyr.

Also enjoyed how the story seemed to wrap itself up at the end of part two, only to jump into the trail!

My favorite scene was probably the opening, with The Doctor shouting out "WRONG!" repeatedly during Tom's lecture.
    Last edited by Martin Penny; 20th Aug 2012 at 7:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Penny View Post

As always, Jason's Master was excellent - although I was also confused about which Master he was supposed to be. It did seems as though the same story could have been told if he had just been the original Master.
    I'm pretty sure I had the same issue when I listened to this but apparently it is meant to be an alternative universe version of the Master... presumably the original Master perished when he and Rob fell down the time well at the end of The Next Universe...

I loved his transformation into the decaying, Geoffrey Beevers-esque Master towards the end.
    Oh is that what happened. Definitely need to listen again then. There was so much going on in this story that must've passed me by.

Next up Martin, you'll finally get to pass judgement on the first of several new actors to the audios for this season...

I really liked the Gelmari as an alien race, and I think they stand as the best developed and most 'real' of the PS aliens. I did find them a little hard to understand during the trial scenes though, which was a shame. Steve was great as the poor, tortured Izlyr.

Also enjoyed how the story seemed to wrap itself up at the end of part two, only to jump into the trail!
    I've singled these two out as compliments to the writing (although thank you very much for the comments about my performance- Colin's BF stuff is an inspiration for me). Thanks very much, Martin. I'm very proud of the Gelmari. My starting point was the typical deliberate, contraction free speech that often typifies sci-fi aliens, and coming up with a reason for that.

Two main features inspired them: their literal approach to life, and their strong sense of loyalty and honour- even to the point of being trapped in terrible situations. I took my inspiration from a few different existing alien races- see below...

Skutters
    Klingons
    Pakleds
    Temperons (from the 80s AV plays)

Many thanks again, Martin- and I hope you enjoy The Nelson Identity!

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

On a similar note, Si's new companion is a breath of fresh air after the more incompetent, comedic companions of the Monk era. After playing so many supporting characters over the years, it's nice to see Si have a regular role at last! I really enjoyed Tom's character; and look forward to seeing more of his travels with The Doctor. Like Ian and Barbera, his background should make him a perfect travelling companion!
    Thanks Martin! That's really brightened me up this morning!