Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Invaders From Oxford- Part Three Online NOW!

7.00pm
    DOCTOR WHO (Stereo)
    The first episode in a new series starring
    BRENDAN JONES
    in
    INVADERS FROM OXFORD

What is Thomas Sterling's secret?
    Who is the Protector?
    What is the Doctor wearing?

Characters:
    The Doctor
    Martina Walden
    Thomas Sterling
    Mr Buchanan
    The Protector
    Librarian
    Professor Ambrose
    Click and Download now!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Well, well, well... why is the Protector so interested in the ancient history of France I wonder? And when will the Doctor get a new outfit?

Oh and loving the new banner so hope we get to see the cover soon!

You'll see the cover later this week.

Oh I meant to mention, but was in a bit of a hurry yesterday, that this episode has a specially composed score by the very talented Nick Ryder. Unfortunately he hasn't had time to do us a complete score for the whole story, but there will be bits and pieces you haven't heard yet on the following episodes.

As we didn't have a tweetcast of this episode on Sunday, who's up for one tomorrow night at 7.30pm?

As for the Doctor's new clothes, I have often found it odd that in the middle of impending doom, the Doctor has often set aside time to find a new outfit...

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Surely Timelords like to drezzzzz for the occasion...?

I'm sure I don't know what you mean.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

These may not be the new Doctor's clothes...

But we've already filmed the bubble traps in Episode 4!

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

On my third listen now - there's lots to enjoy, and quite a lot to puzzle about (and I've seen bits of the script !). Just what is the Master up to ?

ETA " Come by, come by" - makes me think the Doctor is at a sheepdog trial
    Bazinga !

I suspect the Doctor is thinking much the same!

it's good stuff!

What I particularly like about this new story / season is the change in tone. It feels totally different from the Paul Monk era. There's less campy humour, which gave the previous stories such a sparkle, but it's been replaced with a slightly more serious, earthy (Earth-y?) feel that works just as well.

I don't want to compare the styles too much - and there were a wide variety of stories before, of course!

Plus points:
    Jason's Master is wonderful and he gets some especially nasty stuff to do in this episode! He's got that silkiness that all of the Masters had (until John Simm).
    Excellent production, but then I would say that! The effects on the Gelmari voices are great and I loved the police-car sequence.
    Brendan and Si carry most of the weight of this story and they are both superb. This could be a great Doctor/companion team up! Definitely more Troughton and Jamie than Tom and Adric.
    There's some clever and interesting stuff in the script too. The set-up is very smart.

Minus Points:
    It's a little bit of a slow build, but the mystery and the characterisation make up for it.

Looking forward to Part Two now!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

On the plus side, I think the slow build allows time for everyone to get know the characters a bit and gives the episode some breathing space. I think this is useful when you have a new Doctor and indeed a whole new universe to introduce. Some of the nice details might have been lost in a slam-bam fast paced opener.

I'm trying to decide whether to say any more before I've heard episode 2.
    As I've said before it's much easier to review a whole story than single episodes.

Feel free to do either Richard. Sometimes a nice bit of speculation about where it's going is quite fun

Just relistened - the music is really great so well done to Mr Ryder for that. I also like the way the opening echoes Colin's first meeting with Evelyn at the back of a lecture theatre. However that has the advantage of introducing the Tudor period before the Doctor and Evelyn go back there which leads me to the question why make such a prominent mention of such an obscure historical character as Clovis the First? Surely Charlemagne would've made a more interesting choice.
    Really great to have Jason back as the Master after his apparent death in The Next Universe except that it seems a bit unclear whether this is the same version or a next universe alternative which would explain the him having a TARDIS, apparently regenerating without changing his physical appearance and seemingly not recognising the Doctor and rejecting his unique artron signature which suggests only the Doctor doesn't belong in the next universe?
    Or is he simply one step ahead of the Doctor having ingratiated himself with the next universe's Time Lords and been given a new TARDIS by them?

I'm anticipating some of this will become clearer as the story pans out of course.

However that has the advantage of introducing the Tudor period before the Doctor and Evelyn go back there which leads me to the question why make such a prominent mention of such an obscure historical character as Clovis the First? Surely Charlemagne would've made a more interesting choice.
    I think this is answered in the exchange between Tom and the Doctor- Tom points out that without the influence of The Protector, France wouldn't have have become a close ally of the UK, and thus the country was protected from invasion, keeping it safe.
    The joy of being in the Next universe is that things haven't automatically run in quite the same way as in our universe.

Oh I don't think it gives anything away to reveal that this isn't the Master we know- this is an alternate foe.
    Last edited by SiHart; 16th May 2012 at 5:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I think this is answered in the exchange between Tom and the Doctor- Tom points out that without the influence of The Protector, France wouldn't have have become a close ally of the UK, and thuse the country was protected from invasion, keeping it safe.
    The joy of being in the Next universe is that things haven't automatically run in quite the same way as in our universe.

Oh I don't think it gives anything away to reveak that this isn't the Master we know- this is an alternate foe.
    Oh, you minx, Hart!

As a few of you know, the working title for this story was 'The Alternate Faux.'

I did have a particular reason for choosing Clovis I- although it's not a huge conspiracy, I'll be holding back on revealing that reason for now. I can, however, confirm that it relates to Tom!

As for the Master- stay tuned...

Thanks to all for the kind words so far- the pieces will start falling into place next episode, wherein there is a now infamous sound effect...
    Last edited by brandynigma; 16th May 2012 at 4:18 PM.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    On the plus side, I think the slow build allows time for everyone to get know the characters a bit and gives the episode some breathing space. I think this is useful when you have a new Doctor and indeed a whole new universe to introduce. Some of the nice details might have been lost in a slam-bam fast paced opener.
    I coudn't agree more with this; I like the slow build up as unlike new TV Who it gives me a chance to think about what might be happening rather than having it all thrown at me in quick sucession.

As for the episode - that was fantastic!
    Brendan is brilliant, I love the many different facets in these early moments with the new Doctor.
    As always Jason is excellent; I really like his version of The Master (even if this is a different version of his version)!!!

Tom is a great character too and played nice and strongly by Si.

One of the best things for me was the script - as has been said it's really weighty and serious in tone but also has some great comic lines

"Of course it's not you, you're here - would you like a map?" springs to mind.

It's nice to have a first story that has the chance to be a story in its own right, rather than just being a vehicle for introducing the new Doctor. This is certainly shaping up to be a terrific and interesting adventure!

The music is great too - I was trying to specifically listen to it without missing the dialogue. I knew that one of the stories in the season has a new score but I wasn't sure which one it was and so I was listening carefully.
    I love the sounds/instruments used; I'm going to have to 'up my game' to keep up!!!

These audios just keep getting better all the time; i'm really looking forward to episode 2

Thanks for the clarification re: the Master. Suddenly a few more pieces of the puzzle are falling into place and I love the idea of a slightly alternative version of world history. Lots of possibilities to play with there.
    Oh and very intrigued by the revelation of Tom's unwitting involvement with the Protector's activities.

Excellent stuff! I really enjoyed it. Listened to it twice over as although it was a slower paced story I still needed a second listen to get all the little bits.

Tom knowing all about history but not really knowing his own personal history is a brilliant idea. I can't wait to hear where this is going. Really well done guys.

P.S. Glad to hear that the Master is indeed the Master from this Universe & not the Doctor's own, as that was my assumption.
    But the question is, where is the Next Universe Doctor & if he's not alive what happened to him?

But the question is, where is the Next Universe Doctor & if he's not alive what happened to him?
    Who knows... we've only been here one episode so far, there's plenty of time for these things to be found out. Or not!

Thanks very much for the kind comments everyone

And for all of you who've been waiting... here is the cover.

After a hectic few days, I finally managed to get to listen to part one this morning. Such an enjoyable episode, and just like the TV show it is somehow the same yet different to what PS has done before. I really enjoyed the tantalising hints at the differences in this universe to 'ours', especially as regards the Timelords, etc.

Liked the notion of normality maybe being a 'front' for something going on - and especially the bits where the Doctor points out that Thomas' behaviour (not being worried that his friend has just gone off with the Master, etc) is odd. It's obvious to the audience, but only after it's been pointed out (a bit like climbing up the side of a building and breaking-in to remove an answer machine message in Dirk Gently).

Excellent cover
    Bazinga !