Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Forbidden Planet (1956)

I'm a bit disappointed by the miserable responses to this film

this aint no b movie if it is then so is 2001 - A Space Odyssey and also Star Wars.
    Sorry but that is nonsense if you ask me! I agree the production values are good, But it's a seriously average storyline that's hampered by some truly wooden acting that puts it in the same B-Movie bracket as 'This Island Earth' & 'When World's Collide', & certainly not 2001: A Space Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    But it's a seriously average storyline that's hampered by some truly wooden acting that puts it in the same B-Movie bracket as 'This Island Earth' & 'When World's Collide'
    Look no further than Saturday evenings for some great up to the minute wooden performances!!!!!

And this is much more fun than those two movies which aren't a patch on this!!!!

Each to their own I guess!!!

Wayne Guest

Look no further than Saturday evenings for some great up to the minute wooden performances!!!!!

And this is much more fun than those two movies which aren't a patch on this!!!!

You need to learn the difference between 'wooden' & 'ham'.
    Besides; taking cowardly pot-shots at new Who away from the proper threads in question doesn't make the atrocious acting in FB any better.

Arrant nonsense man!

Besides; taking cowardly pot-shots at new Who away from the proper threads in question...
    I don't want to pour cold water over the gushing praise!

Wayne Guest

Yeah yeah yeah..... Chicken hearted knave!

Sorry but that is nonsense if you ask me! I agree the production values are good, But it's a seriously average storyline that's hampered by some truly wooden acting that puts it in the same B-Movie bracket as 'This Island Earth' & 'When World's Collide', & certainly not 2001: A Space Odyssey!
    Wayne speaks the truth! The story line is so thin you can see right through it. Morbius is the only character that stands out as anything remotely good.

Yeah yeah yeah..... Chicken hearted knave!
    Yeah Right!

Wayne Guest

I watched the 2002 re-make of 'The Time Machine' today.
    I've got mixed feelings about it. I didn't really take to Guy Pearce & Samantha Mumba's performances, but i did think the production values were excellent. The Moorlocks looked good, & the moving through time bits, & even the Time Machine itself was well done. It's watchable enough version all in all, but it doesn't have the charm of the original.
    I'd give 6.5/10 against the 8.5/10 score of the original.
    I liked Orlando Jones as Vox... he was in a few good flicks around that time period... too bad he really hasn't been in anything since then.

Wayne Guest

Thanks to Ralph, i watched 2010:The Year We Make Contact, today.
    It's only the second time i've watched it, & my thoughts are pretty much the same as when i saw it about 15yrs back. It's ok, but not in the same league as 2001. It just doesn't have the same feel, or the same sense of awe about it.
    On the one hand it does explain a few things, like why HAL went mad, but i'm still left with the overiding feeling that there was no real need for this sequel. And the fact that there's over a decade between the two, somehow reinforces that feeling.
    However, it's not a bad film. It's perfectly watchable, & has good performances from Roy Scheider & Helen Mirren in particular, but it's ultimately not a hugely memorable movie.
    All things considered, i'd give it 6/10.

Forbidden planet is a classic of a sci-fi film! It's also wonderfully guady and kitsch, but it's a film well before it's time in many ways.

On the one hand it does explain a few things, like why HAL went mad, but i'm still left with the overiding feeling that there was no real need for this sequel. And the fact that there's over a decade between the two, somehow reinforces that feeling.
    Over a decade is true- there's actually 16 years between the two. Kubrick's film was released in 1968, and '2010' came out in 1984.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    Forbidden planet is a classic of a sci-fi film! It's also wonderfully guady and kitsch, but it's a film well before it's time in many ways.
    Totally!

Thanks to Ralph, i watched 2010:The Year We Make Contact, today.
    It's only the second time i've watched it, & my thoughts are pretty much the same as when i saw it about 15yrs back. It's ok, but not in the same league as 2001. It just doesn't have the same feel, or the same sense of awe about it.
    However, it's not a bad film. It's perfectly watchable, & has good performances from Roy Scheider & Helen Mirren in particular, but it's ultimately not a hugely memorable movie.
    All things considered, i'd give it 6/10.

This is not a patch on the original which is just like a breath of fresh air

I'd agree it's a forgettable movie and to be honest I was a bit disappointed and do feel it's an unnecessary sequel. It just didn't maintain my interest much... I'd give it 5/10. Not a patch on the joy which is Forbidden Planet!

Wayne Guest

Typical of someone to ressurect the '2001: A Space Odyssey' thread, shortly after i'd made that post.
    I'd forgotten there was a dedicated thread.

2010 - 6/10
    Forbidden Planet - 4/10 (It's about in the same league as 'Lost in Space')

Nothing is as bad as Lost In Space....

Wayne Guest

True. But they both had terrible robots.

I love that Robot! It's a design classic! Up there with Kettlewell's and Klatuu's

Wayne Guest

Is it f*uck.

I'll have you know Universal spent a small fortune on that design classic!

Some people just don't know a good thing when they see it!

Wayne Guest

It was so good that they gave it to 'Lost in Space'.

I have to confess they milked it for all it was worth

I watched Forbidden Planet a few weeks ago on telly...I thought it was great! Alright, so the acting's maybe a bit dodgy...and not much of a plot either, now you mention it...but it's still great fun! And the robot's one of the best things about the film, imo...I love it! Wayne's right, it is a B-movie...but it's a classic B-movie. Overall, I'd give this 7/10.

But then again, I'm the one who also enjoys 'This Island Earth' and 'When Worlds Collide' so maybe my thoughts should just be ignored here!

As for 2010, I've always found this much more accessible than 2001...it's been over 10 years since I saw either of the 2 films, but I remember thinking that 2010 had a much better pace to it, and more interesting characters. On the other hand, it didn't have the same epic feel as the original. I'll have to catch up on both of these films in the near future, it's hard to rate them accurately after such a long time.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    But then again, I'm the one who also enjoys 'This Island Earth' and 'When Worlds Collide' so maybe my thoughts should just be ignored here!
    Oh, not at all!

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    ...but it's still great fun! And the robot's one of the best things about the film, imo...I love it!