Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Shape of Things to Come

Growing up as a lad watching TV in the 70s I was always fascinated with visions of the future. Films that were based on what I would decscribe as science fiction rather than science fantasy. By this definition as I've said before I'm not so keen on the "Star Wars" franchise or "The Lord of Rings" movies, these I know are clearly very popular but it was never my thing. I loved movies of what might really be, a possible direction the human race might take. The biggest influence on growing up was of course Doctor Who and Star Trek TOS.

As far as the movies go I wasn't really keen on anything before the 50s but having said that a movie I've never seen I think from the 40s called "The Shape of Things To Come" might be a good title for the thread.

As far as I could see early sci-fi looked particularly ropey and was based on more fantasy than sci-fi but perhaps Metropolis breaks that mould - I'm not sure, yet again another movie I've not seen. But the likes of Buster Crabbe just switched me off.

The 1950s heralded in from what I perceive as the first boom of interest in the genre with the era of the Hollywood bug eyed monster attacks Earth Stories such as "Them!". Some fantastic classics also like "The Day The Earth Stood Still" and of course we had Quatermass over here. Then the 60's kicked off with one of my all time favourites "The Time Machine". In the 60's the sci-fi genre seemed to have matured and movies seemed to have a more serious edge or making statements about society and the vulnerability of the planet and also seemed more spectacular with bigger budgets as it was recognised as popular with the cinema going public. Most of the ones I've enjoyed are the tales of the aftermath of an apocolyptic future such as "Planet of the Apes" and "The Omega Man" and of course "The Time Machine" fitted this too. The likes of "Star Trek" of course was a fantastic vision of a possible future which until that time had not been properly addressed and was the best television had to offer in this regard I reckon until the end of the 70s.

I guess also I've always wanted to know where we're heading as a race and unlike the good Doctor I'm never going to find out in my relatively short life time so instead our only vision is in the movies (leaving aside books of course). Sometimes I think it feels as if we've already been out there but of course the reality is we've barely made it out the back door. It's almost 40 years since the moon landings and we've been no further on manned missions since.

Astronauts feel more like a thing of history rather than the future. The furthest object we have "out there" is the Voyager 1 and 2 Spacecraft and they've only barely made it beyond our Solar System in the 30 years since they were launched. In space terms it's no further than our back yard.

For newsworthyness the last big excitement was in 1977 with the first pictures of Mars which were headline news - I recall one newspaper declaring "This is Mars" on the front page with the whole page given over to this exciting development. As a 14 year old I read all the details with great excitement, I hadn't considered three decades later nothing quite so dramatic would have superceded this.

Looking at our planet and all the wars such as in the Middle East strike me as representative of a childish race that must fight over territory and someday I'd like to think we can mature beyond this. Our world is run by politicians with short term interests whose motives strike me as similar to spoiled children and if there are races far in advance of us it's little wonder they don't make contact - it would probably be like trying to make sense of events in a kindergarten. Anyway back on topic...

At the end of the 70's the Voyager spacecraft gave inspiration to the story in the first Star Trek movie - made as science fiction rather than the more fanciful make believe Star Wars but admittedly not as exciting as it could have been. But the premise of it's story that one of our probes would return to us in an unexpected way was a great one I think and of course very topical at the time.

With Star Wars in 1977 the genre moved away from the type of films I loved to the more fantasy adventures, I guess they made for more box office success but I still have always preferred movies that still relate to us to some extent here and now.

I really enjoyed the thread MacNimon put up on the old board last year about the 1950s Sci-fi golden age but it never really satisfied my want to discuss movies that are based on visions of a possible future.

So I wanted to start this thread to discuss all those movies that have tried to give visions of our world, possible future directions and exploration. I know my inner child just loves this kind of stuff. I'd like if I may to give the likes of fantasy movies a miss though as while entertaining I'm sure, they don't fit my idea of the thread.

A sample of the sort of movies I'd like to discuss here are the likes of the following:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    The Day the Earth Stood Still
    Planet of the Apes
    The Omega Man
    Soylent Green
    Bladerunner
    The Time Machine
    Fahrenheit 451
    THX 1138
    Contact

Anyway I hope it may be of interest - perhaps the focus could start on the early movies - any thoughts anyone? I was thinking maybe it could be a thread to return to when anyone watches these kind of movies?

Hope my ramble makes sense!

Last edited by Ralph; 22nd Feb 2007 at 4:53 PM.

Wayne Guest

@Ralph
    I'm a bit full on into other projects at the moment for a worthy response to that great post. I don't like to spread my focus too thinly, but i'll chip in where i can.

Excellent thread, Ralph!

And you raise a few interesting points as well, regarding (real-life) space exploration, and how it's presented to us in the media. I don't have time at the moment for an in-depth reply, but I totally agree with your thoughts on the Mars photos, etc. Another example is the moon landings...look at the big news it was in 1969, but by 1973 the media weren't particularly interested. But I'll come back to this tomorrow, when I've got more time.

Another film worth considering for this thread perhaps is Logans Run? (Another one of my favourites!)

Thanks for the responses guys - no rush - I launched the thread as one to return to on and off throughout the year.

Wayne Guest

On a related note, I used to have this book when i was a kid:

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    Another film worth considering for this thread perhaps is Logans Run? (Another one of my favourites!)
    Yeah sure thats a definite vision of a possible future Fortunately I don't live in that era! I'm still to watch the TV pilot.

As for the annual Wayne - I used to pore over those kind of things - still do when I get a chance

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post

As for the annual Wayne - I used to pore over those kind of things - still do when I get a chance

Click on the pic for a bit more info. I'd be tempted to bid if it was a bit cheaper, I can feel the nostalgia flooding back.
    Last edited by Wayne; 22nd Feb 2007 at 6:43 PM.

Actually one thing thats always fascinated me about these rockets is their origins...the V2 rocket I think it was, commisioned by the 20th century's most notorious leader. But thats another story....

Well it's Saturday morning and I'm in the mood for a creature feature so I think I'll check out "Them!", the attack of the giant ants. I haven't seen it since the 70s so I'm quite curious to see how it looks.

Don't you just love lazy Saturday mornings?

Wayne Guest

Well it's Saturday morning and I'm in the mood for a creature feature so I think I'll check out "Them!", the attack of the giant ants. I haven't seen it since the 70s so I'm quite curious to see how it looks.
    I got curious about this one, & bought it cheap a couple of years ago. I found it a bit lacking, so i flogged it on eBay.

"Them!" (1954)

This one doesn't quite fit my main criteria for sci-fi movies but is more on the fringes and typical of the majority of the Hollywood sc-fi of the 50s.

"An early entry in the 1950s cycle of creature-feature pictures, Them! is the one about hordes of ants mutated to a giant size by the first A-bomb test. It begins as an eerie desert mystery, with New Mexico cop James Whitmore investigating disappearances and deaths: a mobile-home and a general store are crushed as if tanks have rolled over them, a shopkeeper is found dead of a huge injection of formic acid, quantities of sugar have been stolen and a catatonic little girl is shocked into shrieking "them, them!". Director Gordon Douglas stages several great monster-suspense scenes: a first encounter in a sandstorm, a venture into a poisoned nest, a glimpse of horror at sea, and a finale in the Los Angeles storm drains."

A bit of fun for a Saturday morning - it starts off very well as the mystery unfolds and sags a bit in the middle as these films tend to when the threat is discussed at the government levels and so forth, I thought the ending could be a bit more exciting but I guess it was enough for a bit of fun. The best bits really are when the giant ants appear and the bits in between leave you waiting for the next onslaught. If you love these old sci-fi movies then you will enjoy the ant attack moments

James Whitmore, above on the right gives a earnest performance with nice touches of humour which along with the ants made the movie for me.

Definitely one for a morning rather than a main feature
    Last edited by Ralph; 24th Feb 2007 at 1:51 PM.

I remember that I loved this back in the 70s! It was one of those films I'd scan the tv listings to watch out for, along with the likes of The Incredible Shrinking Man and other such films. In those good old days when these would get a prime time early evening BBC1 slot....I can't remember too many details of this, though, apart from the obvious:giant ants! (which also brings to mind another film which I can't recall the name of, it was about giant man-eating rabbits....)

Yeah I'd say I liked this movie as much as "The incredible Shrinking man" another 50s classic - I think that Spider battle is one of those defining moments of The Cinema

"The Shape of Things to Come" was one of H G Wells' later novels, in which - contrarily to his earlier utopia-phase novels - he'd given up hope on humanity actually reaching its potential and instead predicted endless global wars. I started reading it some while back but it's very densely written and difficult to get into. I think the film intentionally took its title from the book but I think the relations between the two end there.

To answer the question of the thread, "The Time Machine" has been my favourite film ever since I was about 5, and taught me a lot about war, faith and optimism. It goes far beyond the typical shlock knockabout nonsense that most people condemn it for. Yeah, the Morlocks look a bit silly (though they terrified me when I was young) and the romance subplot (bolted on to suit a 60s audience since it's nowhere in the book) is a bit trite but it's a film with a lot of magic to it, thanks to its whimsical sfx and fantastically moving central performances from Rod Taylor and... the chap who plays his mate (sorry, don't know the actor's name!). In fact in many ways it's better than the book, as the referring back to World Wars embellishes Wells' predictions for such conflicts and gives it a lot of thematic depth that Wells would definitely had appreciated. The ending's a lot better than the book's as well - in the book the traveller goes forth even further beyond the Morlocks' time, for little reason.
    "I remember because cherries send me into a wild fury!"

"Them!" (1954)

A bit of fun for a Saturday morning - it starts off very well as the mystery unfolds and sags a bit in the middle as these films tend to when the threat is discussed at the government levels and so forth, I thought the ending could be a bit more exciting but I guess it was enough for a bit of fun. The best bits really are when the giant ants appear and the bits in between leave you waiting for the next onslaught. If you love these old sci-fi movies then you will enjoy the ant attack moments

Definitely one for a morning rather than a main feature
    I watched this last night, and like you Ralph, I hadn't seen this since the 70s. This certainly brought back childhood memories. Like you say, it's fun...I really enjoyed this, despite it's faults. Yes, of course it's just a typical 1950s bug-eyed monster story, but that's why I used to love this...because it's a bug-eyed monster story. Admittedly, the ants aren't as scary as I remember them to be, but neither are they laughably bad as the special effects in some films of this era can be...I thought they were actually pretty effective, except for their eyes which I found a bit comical.

Two things let this film down a bit for me...the old Professor, who was the ant expert - I just thought this was a very weak character given a pretty important role. Perhaps he was just supposed to be likeable, but he could have been played a bit better imo.

The ending was a little bit of a damp squib as well...I was expecting an action-packed, tension-filled battle (or at least, what they could afford on a 50s budget!) once they found the nest...what we got was a few giant ants, a short speech, and some flame throwers! And suddenly, it was over...I wouldn't have been so disappointed in the ending though, if they hadn't done such a good job of building up the tension during the search for the missing boys, and their subsequent rescue; what followed was quite simply an anti-climax.

But these are only minor quibbles...overall, I really enjoyed this film. But I think it's one of those that you had to have seen as a child, to be able to appreciate it best...perhaps that's why Wayne found it a bit flat? I've got to say that nostalgia played it's part in my enjoyment of this!

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    The ending was a little bit of a damp squib as well...I was expecting an action-packed, tension-filled battle (or at least, what they could afford on a 50s budget!) once they found the nest...what we got was a few giant ants, a short speech, and some flame throwers! And suddenly, it was over...

But these are only minor quibbles...overall, I really enjoyed this film. But I think it's one of those that you had to have seen as a child, to be able to appreciate it best...perhaps that's why Wayne found it a bit flat? I've got to say that nostalgia played it's part in my enjoyment of this!
    I agree it builds up well then fizzles out but like you I remembered it from childhood which gave it special appeal - I thought the extras and DVD intros were suitablty cheesy as well - nicely done

Great you had some fun with it Kenny

I agree it builds up well then fizzles out but like you I remembered it from childhood which gave it special appeal - I thought the extras and DVD intros were suitablty cheesy as well - nicely done

Great you had some fun with it Kenny

Thanks, Ralph it was great to get the chance to see it again! I loved the dvd menu page too...I thought the tabloid newspaper idea was perfect for this. Cheesy...I can't think of a better description myself

Fahrenheit 451 (1966)

From IMDB, the plot:

"In a future totalitarian and oppressive society, where books are forbidden, Guy Montag (Oskar Werner) is a fireman. The mission of firemen in this society with fireproof houses is to burn books at 450o F, the temperature of combustion of paper. Montag is married with Linda (Julie Christie), a futile woman that joins "The Family" through the interactive television. When Montag meets Clarisse (Julie Christie, in a double role), she questions him if he has ever read a book, and Montag become curious. He decides to steal and read a book, twisting his view of life."

I enjoyed this film as one of those movies that makes you think about the human race and our attitudes.

The chief Fireman describes in one scene why a book must be burned because it's wording is incorrect or it offends a particular group. I then thought to myself how familiar does that sound today in a world that has gone politically correctness mad. Only this week I was reading how a play based on the "Three Little Pigs" was to be renamed "The Three Little Puppies" so as not to offend the Muslim community. Even Muslim leaders thought this wholly inappropriate. Perhaps this film represents a world that could be if political correctness is left unchecked and whoever decides these things succeeds and becomes all powerful in controlling our thoughts?

If you ever read the short story "The Pedestrian" by Ray Bradbury which I loved on first reading then Bradbury explains in the special features of the DVD how this was an extension of this. It was no wonder then why I enjoyed this movie.

The movie is made to feel futuristic and I think succeeds sufficiently but if you're looking for a special effects spectacle don't look here. The strong aspect of the film is just the way in which it presents the written word as something so powerful, free thought, a threat to an ordered society.

The fact of course that book burning has happened most famously of course in 1930s Germany adds the edge to a film with a solid subject matter. Just seeing books full of knowledge, thoughts and ideas being thown in a pile to be incinerated is a very powerful image.

The movie feels a little stilted to me at times but it adds to the feel of a controlled and ordered world. When the fireman come out to "burn" it's reminiscent of "Camberwick Green" momentarily.

The casting of Julie Christie in a dual role works surprisingly well I thought and she gives a good performance in both parts. The visuals and music of the film complement each other nicely and the opening credits are done in a completely unique style.

I'm going to give this a very worthy 8/10 as a movie definitely to see for anyone who is interested in the works of Ray Bradbury or movies dealing with issues about oppresion and breaking free. Great stuff!
    Last edited by Ralph; 18th Mar 2007 at 1:37 PM.

Wayne Guest

It's a film i haven't seen for many years. I have only a vague memory of it being a bit dry & slow.......

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    It's a film i haven't seen for many years. I have only a vague memory of it being a bit dry & slow.......
    I can see how some might consider it that way and I think thats why it was unsuccessful on it's initial release. If you're in the right mood looking for something more thought provoking than pure entertainment then I reckon this is a good choice.

A very good thread topic, chaps! I'll add more later, when I'm not half asleep...the thread title does indeed come from a 1930s film based on the HG Wells story. Haven't seen it in years.
    "Farenheit 451" is also a very good Ray Bradbury novel.
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    And a great Hawkwind song. :wayne (inspired by Bradbury's novel)

WhiteCrow Guest

A very good thread topic, chaps! I'll add more later, when I'm not half asleep...the thread title does indeed come from a 1930s film based on the HG Wells story. Haven't seen it in years.
    Yeah in it there is a coalition called "Wings Over The World" based in Basra stockpiling gas weapons to unleash on the global population. What a load of fiction huh!

They even build a supergun there ...

A very good thread topic, chaps! I'll add more later, when I'm not half asleep...
    Great stuff Carol - I look forward to more from you later!

Great stuff Carol - I look forward to more from you later!