Thread: LinkedIn Leaked

Default LinkedIn Leaked

Business social networking site LinkedIn has had 6.5 million passwords leaked online yesterday http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-574...leaked-online/
    This is around 10% of the total LinkedIn user base, however all users have been encouraged to change their password.

If you are a LinkedIn user or just mildly curious about this, you can see if your LinkedIn password has been leaked (or even cracked) http://leakedin.org/
    A blog post about that site can be found here http://shiflett.org/blog/2012/jun/leakedin

N.B. Whilst I have checked out the sites and thought them safe enough to try my (old) LinkedIn password, you are encouraged to do your own checks first.
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Mine was it seems.

Looks like LastFM have been done this evening too...

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Jeez, I almost hope someone does steal my LinkedIn password. I never do anything with it!

Actually, I hope that doesn't happen. I have noticed a large increase in spam from the site though.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

On a related note, is the linked site in Phil's post for real?!

For a company recovering from a security leak to post up a webpage which encourages users to blindly enter a password, which appears on the screen with no stars, is appalling! This page itself looks like a hack. On top of that, are users expected to understand what "we hash your password with Javascript" means?! There are many websites on line that try and trick users into entering their password posing as a real site, and this just looks like one of those.

Si.

As the blog post Phil posted indicates the leakedin site appears to have been set up by a well meaning linkedin user and not a hacker but I do agree that ideally the password entry should have been starred.

Jeez, I almost hope someone does steal my LinkedIn password. I never do anything with it!
    It doesn't seem to be your linkedIn account that's the issue, LinkedIn are advising you to change all your other passwords (e-mail, Facebook) as well, the theory being that people use the same passwords accross many different platforms.

Si.