Pip Madeley Guest

Default Derek Waring dies aged 79

Actor Derek Waring, who found fame as Detective Inspector Goss in BBC drama Z-Cars, has died of cancer aged 79.

The versatile performer had a string of film, TV and theatre credits, also appearing in The Professionals, Dixon of Dock Green and The New Avengers. In the 1970s, he starred as Roland Moody in ITV sitcom Moody and Pegg. His wife, actress Dame Dorothy Tutin, died of leukaemia in 2001. The couple are survived by their children Amanda and Nick, who are also actors.

Born Derek Barton-Chapple, Waring was the son of Wing Commander HJ Barton-Chapple, who worked on the development of television with John Logie Baird. After serving in the army, Waring won a scholarship to the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (Rada) and spent several years touring the UK in repertory theatre.

Distinguished career

His West End debut came in 1958 with the warmly-received The World of Suzie Wong and he joined the Royal Shakespeare Company soon after. Further West End roles came in Cowardly Custard and The Boyfriend, while he travelled to Broadway to play Prince Albert opposite his wife's Queen Victoria in Portrait of a Queen.

The actor's stage career was perhaps more distinguished than his frequent, fleeting television appearances, and in later years he concentrated on theatre work.

But he had several memorable cameo appearances on the small screen, including a stint as the librarian Shardovan in Doctor Who.

His film credits include Hitler: The Last Ten Days with Sir Alec Guinness, and Indian Summer. Waring's co-star in Moody and Pegg, Judy Cornwell, paid tribute to the actor. "Derek was a joy to work with and making those series of Moody and Pegg were some of the best times," she said.

Waring died at Petworth Cottage Hospital in West Sussex on Tuesday.
    Sad news, particularly after his Who appearance is fresh in our minds.

He was one of the first actors I remember seeing, and I wondered why he hadn't been on TV for a long time.

Sad news. R.I.P Derek.

I must admit that I only really know him from 'Castrovalva', but he was obviously a very distinguished and respected actor. I had no idea that he was married to Dorothy Tutin, either.

Rest in peace.