Thread: The New Theme

Default The New Theme

One of the things we thought about a lot when planning the season was having a new theme. We searched long and hard for a theme that fitted what we wanted to do, was a great rearrangement and would equal the Cybertech version we'd used for Paul since the PS Audios began.

The theme we chose was by one of the very talented remixers on Whomix, Eaglestriker. It's called Last of the Time Lords MKII and you can listen to the full version here: http://whomix.windbubbles.net/remix/322

We took the opening theme directly from the start of the theme on the full version and myself and steve worked on rearranging the theme for the closing mix- with a sting based on the original scream (with some distortion) at the start and a reuse of this backwards before the middle 8 and forwards again at the end to give it a little more oomph.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I rather like it (even though it's quite Murray Goldey)!!!
    I did wonder whether the backwards 'scream' was a bit of Si & Steve wizzardry!

It's nice and beefy, which is always good (that sounds rude for some reason)!!!

I thought we needed the backwards scream at that point because - although the theme is largely brilliant - there's an odd bit where half the melody seems to drop out. Plus we had to fiddle with it to make it more ours!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart View Post
    I rather like it (even though it's quite Murray Goldey)!!!
    I did wonder whether the backwards 'scream' was a bit of Si & Steve wizzardry!

It's nice and beefy, which is always good (that sounds rude for some reason)!!!
    It is rather full-blooded isn't it and definitely more in-keeping with "New" Who whereas much as I liked the previous version it was definitely more of a throw back to the synth themes of the 80s.
    That said I think the new theme works very well with the feeling of having embarked on a fresh new direction with the series now that we're in a whole new universe.

I love the new theme! I wanted to change the old one ages ago but no-one else would let me.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I thought we needed the backwards scream at that point because - although the theme is largely brilliant - there's an odd bit where half the melody seems to drop out. Plus we had to fiddle with it to make it more ours!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2
    Couldn't agree more - there's somethng very satisfying about putting your own stamp on something!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I love the new theme! I wanted to change the old one ages ago but no-one else would let me.

Si.
    Really?

I thought the old one suited the plays very well, besides I feel each version should be used for a while so that you get used to them. Otherwise you will get a season 23 and 24 type scenario where just when you've got used to one version it goes and changes again!!!!

Having said that I'd be happy to have a go at doing a new version after Si Hart has produced his first 10 seasons and it's time for a change!!!

It's good it was used all the way through the era. The problem was the theme was knocked up and edits made very quickly back in 2006 and we then ended up using it for the next six years! I was in favour of a new version at one point, although it's not something I was hugely affected to be over-ruled on. I've not harboured a grudge or anything. I moved on.

Si.