Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trudi G Guest

Default Worlds Worst Inventions

According to the voters on the Radio Times website were..

10. RELIGION - For starting and fuelling wars.

9. SPEED CAMERAS - For obvious reasons!

8. FAST FOOD - For making us all fat b*stards

7. TELEVISION - In the guise of reality tv mostly.

6. CIGARETTES - For obvious health reasons.

5. THE CAR - For polluting our environment.

4. SINCLAIR C5 - You'd think that one might've been forgotten by now...it seems not!

3. NUCLEAR POWER - For obvious reasons.

2. MOBILE PHONES - Probably because of the annoying ringtones and people shouting into them in restaurants, on buses, in the street....etc

1. WEAPONS - Yes all types of weapons were thought of as the worst invention ever.

So there you have it - anyone care to add their idea of a worst invention?

The Internet.

Never have people had such access to filth, crime and cruelty.

WhiteCrow Guest

The Breville sandwich maker, just cut out the middle man and take your tongue to a local burns unit now ...

Trudi G Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    The Breville sandwich maker, just cut out the middle man and take your tongue to a local burns unit now ...

Ooh yes - have you ever tried to eat one with beans and cheese in it? It's like molten lava!

It's very much a personal prejudice, but I would list the dishwasher. In theory as a labour-saving device for busy folk, it's fine; but in my experience it's more often used to allow lazy people to be even lazier.

Punt & Dennis didn't have a hand in that survey, did they?

Sounds a bit like a typical audience question from The Now Show...

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    It's very much a personal prejudice, but I would list the dishwasher. In theory as a labour-saving device for busy folk, it's fine; but in my experience it's more often used to allow lazy people to be even lazier.
    I vote for that - people buy it to save on arguing on washing up.

So they instead argue about whose turn it is to load/unload it.

Killer Christmas Trees seem like a terrible idea to me, god knows who thought them up.

Ooh, and Cybermen. Creating a race of half human half machine creatures always ends badly.

"RIP Henchman No.24."

Pip Madeley Guest

Alex is going stir crazy.

I'd like to nominate hooded tops. If you want to cover your hair, get a bloody hat.

How about the PETROL car. They could run on water, you know.

And although I feel I'm not equipped to argue it, the old "religion is bad because it starts wars" sounds to me like an INCREDIBLY ignorant and oversimplified argument from people who know nothing about religion or wars!

Si.

Alex is going stir crazy.
    Maybe just a little!

And although I feel I'm not equipped to argue it, the old "religion is bad because it starts wars" sounds to me like an INCREDIBLY ignorant and oversimplified argument from people who know nothing about religion or wars!
    I have to agree with you, I'm really anti-religion but I do feel that it's done a lot of good and a lot of bad over the years, and it's just not as clear cut as the 'it starts wars' argument goes.

I seriously doubt society would be where it is today without organised religion, yet at the same time I feel we're in a place where it should be questioned a lot more - and that politics and religion should definitely not mix. Erm, anyway, this is in danger of becoming a religious thread, so I'll stop now.

Magazines which celebrate mediocrity and obsess about female body size like Heat magazine really annoy me though, and fall in to worse inventins category imo, would Jade Goody really have become that successful without them?
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

It's just that religion has got nothing to do with wars. You may as well say that because two people start a feud over an overgrowing hedge, then hedges are bad because they start wars. It's the people with the differing points of view that are to blame, not what they are fighting over.

Of course, if your religion tells you to kill people, as some of the extremist ones do, then that IS to blame, but this is not a blanket definition of "religion" - the bible does teach understanding and to "love thy neighbour", if only people listened to it.

Si.

Trudi G Guest

What about the IRA blowing up and murdering protestants?
    People use religion as an excuse to kill people they don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Trudi G View Post
    What about the IRA blowing up and murdering protestants?
    People use religion as an excuse to kill people they don't like.
    Didn't stop them killing Catholics-in Ireland, or indeed killing them in explosions in the UK.

Like many places the Northern Ireland situation uses religion as an excuse to somehow make it seem like they have a valid reason-but they don't they are just evil mindless thugs who would always find some sort of excuse to carry out their hate filled acts.

None of the real catholics or protestants would have anything to do with the bombings or murders-it goes totally against what they believe in.

Trudi G Guest

I agree - i don't know of any religion that advocates the killing of another human being. The point is, people use it as an excuse to do so, and therefore it gives religion a bad name.

Very true Trudi.

But its like racisim in that respect-its an excuse to commit an act of hate/violence. But the people that do these things will always find an excuse be it religion, skin colour, football team supported, accent, being too fat, 'looking at them funny' or whatever its the people themselves who are the problem and their so called reasons should be ignored because it makes other people think that these excuses somehow justify things.

Bank charges and the greedy bankers who are in charge

Wayne Guest

Don't get me started on Religion....... I'm not going down that road today. My views usually offend people.
    So instead:

9. SPEED CAMERAS - For obvious reasons!
    It annoys me when people moan about speed cameras.
    It's ever so simple:

DON'T ****ING SPEED!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Too right! Best invention ever! Poor Zel I feel sorry for her with those dishpan hands

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Don't get me started on Religion....... I'm not going down that road today. My views usually offend people.
    So instead:

It annoys me when people moan about speed cameras.
    It's ever so simple:

DON'T ****ING SPEED!!

Bl**dy non drivers....

Quote Originally Posted by Gisela View Post
    Bank charges and the greedy bankers who are in charge
    Totally!

As the Barclaycard chief executive said in the House of Commons meeting he wouldn't have his own teenage children take out a Barclays VISA - he's happy to rip off everybody else though.

Poor Zel I feel sorry for her with those dishpan hands
    I shouldn't put too much sympathy in that direction...

Pip Madeley Guest

Crack that whip!

There'll be time for that after the dishes are done...