Default Forum accessibility survey

Hello Everybody,

The admins have been discussing the possibility of setting the forum to Membership By Approval (MBA). Some of you who have been around here longer than others, may remember that back in the ezBoard days we were Membership By Approval.

MBA simply means that casual browsers (and people not logged in) would not be able to see the majority of the forum. New joiners would first need to register, and then one of the Admins/Mods would need to grant them access to the forums. We would be keeping the News and Announcements and PS Audio forums open to all, and restrict the rest.

We've found that Membership By Approval is something that the majority of Doctor Who forums on the internet do.

However, before we do this, we want to consult with you, our posters, about this. Please can you answer the following questions and let us know what you think/how this sounds/how you feel about this?

1. Did you join PS in the old incarnation when we were with ezBoard, or after the 2006 move to vBulletin and planetskaro.org.uk ?

2. Under MBA, would the extra effort of having to sign up and be approved, stop you from joining?

3. Under MBA, do you think that it would have an adverse effect on casual surfers signing up?

4. Would you feel more comfortable posting if Planet Skaro were MBA?

Thank you for your time,

Anthony Williams
    Chief Admin, on behalf of all the PS Staff

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

MBA is a pain, but it has one major advantage: it stops spambots.

Incidentally, thanks for the email: I'm a member of several Who boards and I'd forgotten this one existed, somehow...(sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Incidentally, thanks for the email: I'm a member of several Who boards and I'd forgotten this one existed, somehow...(sorry)
    No problem, Tony - welcome back!

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post
    1. Did you join PS in the old incarnation when we were with ezBoard, or after the 2006 move to vBulletin and planetskaro.org.uk ?
    2. Under MBA, would the extra effort of having to sign up and be approved, stop you from joining?
    3. Under MBA, do you think that it would have an adverse effect on casual surfers signing up?
    1. After the move to vBulletin
    2. It wouldn't stop me from joining but it is a bit more hassle, especially for the admins. What prompted you to consider this?
    3. Yes. Then again, it might weed out the riff raff!
    4. No. It won't make a difference to me.

Cheers!

I don't think MBA would be a good idea. It might so easily make this place end up as Nineteen-Brenty-Four.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

The old one. But I don't think I'd have ever found it without Paul introducing me to it to be honest.

No, not if I'd heard good things about the forum.

It's possible. But then again another forum I'm a member off recently set it so that people could see the forums, and the topics, but not the actual content of those threads, and apparently that's led to a strong increase in the number of members. But I'm not sure how easy that would be to do.

It wouldn't affect me either way.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Ezboard. But like Alex, I would probably never have found it if it wasn't for the likes of Wayne and Logo.

No.

Possibly, but it depends on how interested they REALLY are. It would keep out spammers etc, though.

I don't think so, but it would certainly give us a bit more privacy though, wouldn't it? It wouldn't be open for anyone in the world to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Williams View Post

1. After 2006

2. No it wouldn't stop me

3. It probably would have an adverse effect - but would casual surfers stick around for long anyway?

4. Yes I would feel more comfortable. Although I don't post under my real name (what, really?? ) you never know who's watching you on t'internet!

1. Did you join PS in the old incarnation when we were with ezBoard, or after the 2006 move to vBulletin and planetskaro.org.uk ? After 2006.

2. Under MBA, would the extra effort of having to sign up and be approved, stop you from joining?Speaking for myself, no. If I want to join a forum I simply accept any reasonable conditions that may apply to joining.

3. Under MBA, do you think that it would have an adverse effect on casual surfers signing up? Possibly, but I agree with Nyder on this point.

4. Would you feel more comfortable posting if Planet Skaro were MBA? It wouldn't make a great differance to me

God help us, you know how to make us old-timers feel really past it, don't you?

I remember the prehistoric age of ezboard, but I wouldn't have found the place if it hadn't been advertised on the BBC boards.

From what I remember, there wasn't that much rigmarole beforehand.

We're obviously not like this, and maybe the whole Ian Levine saga has left a bitter taste, but I wonder whether seeing the weatherboards and blackout sheets might give us a pretense of snobbishness/elitism? I suppose there's a security issue involved though, so I could see the logic in it if there were one.

Wouldn't bother me either way.

Then again, it might weed out the riff raff!
    we're already here sir!

1. Ezboard days.
    2. It may have done at other sites, but I had already had my interest piqued at the BBC boards and Tardisite for here.
    3. Yes it probably would. People who are encouraged to join by current members will probably still join, but casual observers may decide not to join.
    4. I don't think a blanket MBA is the answer. I don't think anything more than a specific MBA for certain areas such as Centre of Leisure, Temple of Secrets are needed.

EzBoard days

It didn't stop me as I knew Si Hart, and that got me in pretty quickly.

It will have an effect on casual surfers - but hopefully the right effect. We want people come in and participate in the community rather than just lurk.

Not fussed either way.
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

I have always been here- from the very beginning.

I had to in the first place, so probably not.

Possibly. I have waited for membership approval from other forums and to be honest that put me off posting to those forums. There has to be a quick turn around to the approval process to make it work, or else you just get people's backs up.

Not more than I currently do. I'm happy for anyone to read what I write and if I'm not, then I'll pop them in the forums that are closed to non-members.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Sorry...been onto building the Dark Dimensions Special Weapons Dalek.
    Thus, it's been a while since last visiting...

PS is a wonderful site..please don't change anything, irregardless of
    any past histories...Forums are like software..they're constantly evolving.

Quote Originally Posted by acrodrome View Post
    Sorry...been onto building the Dark Dimensions Special Weapons Dalek.
    Thus, it's been a while since last visiting...
    That was you that built that!? That thing is SERIOUSLY cool!

Quote Originally Posted by acrodrome View Post
    PS is a wonderful site..please don't change anything, irregardless of
    any past histories...Forums are like software..they're constantly evolving.
    Thank you very much!

----

Post 2006, I was aware of PS for a long time before joining but that's a long story that most have heard before.

No, I was drawn in by the audios so I don't see why others shouldn't be.

Hopefully not. It would surely be beneficial to weed out non-posting lurkers and hopefully encourage genuine newcomers.

Frankly yes. I enjoy being able to share openly with the other members many of whom I've come to consider friends but being open access to anyone who signs up makes this something of a risk.

After.

Depends on how quick the approval process is.

It will effect casual surfers - It maybe good to have a weeding-out process but we don't want to become insular.

Makes no difference.

I joined the September after it started...so long ago.

It never did the first time.

I shouldn't think so. We have members who do nothing anyway.

I don't use my name here because we went without MBA on this site. So as it stands now I don't see any reason that it would make me feel too different.

It might be an idea to have the Doctor Who Forums 'public' but have the rest MBA, with the temple remaining the same as it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    We have members who do nothing anyway.
    We still love Mr. Hunt nevertheless! (Any room behind the sofa...?)

1. I was a member of the old board, but then left for quite a large while. Rejoined a few months back after a recommendation by Richard BJ.

2. Not for this board, as I already knew some people or posted on it. If it was just a random board I cam across whilst browsing however It might, as it may feel like a lot of effort to register when then their are a lot of boards that are more accessible.

3. Possibly, see my answer above, but if your only a casual sign up you might not post much (if at all), so it might not lead to much of a reduction in post counts.

4. Maybe, it would mean my posts are not public accessible, but I try to avoid saying anything that I would not like other people seeing I had said anyway.